Twoply

Base Break

Have you ever found yourself in a jumping-holding pattern? Also known as a period of time in which you didn't go jumping for no specific reason? Winds, objects and company was all good yet you just didn't feel the pull? My gear was getting serviced for the last month and I now realize that it's been a looong time since my last jump. I'm starting my own business and wonder if maybe my mind's too busy on that. Happened to you?
Mike

Well Mike,
I have taken almost a year off except for the fun we had in April when I was home. Don't worry,I make yuo jump when I get home in Nov. Those full moon weekends will be nice.;)Good luck with the new business. Now we won't have an "official vehicle".:P

Ody

That happens to me. I go through periods where I don't really jump much. It's not that I don't want to jump or lose the interest, I just get sidetracked and find other stuff to do.

The periods will pass and I'll find myself out there jumping regularly again.

I think it happens to many of us.

That happens to me. I go through periods where I don't really jump much.

like this summer? he he:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I am actually going through a similar period.

I got back from a year off from injury in May, I was keeping an average of 1 per week(I limp worse than normal the day after jumping) but recently with work and with some other projects I am getting started (and as my jumping friends will say a bit of "being just gay and lazy") I found that unless I am really ready for it, I am breezing through without making a jump even when the weather is fine and good.

I started questioning myself over this alot!, so I decided to go and make a solo one early sunrise morning, and it reiterated to me that all was good and fuck me I do still need this and love this. - I just needed time alone to sort out the questions in my own head.

What this has taught me is that everyone takes BASE at their own pace. If you do multiple jumps every night, or multiple jumps every week, or 1 jump a night or 1 jump a week, or even 1 per month or 1 per year - its your own time and your own way.

BASE jump when you feel like it, not when you feel you should.........

Its all personal and theres not a right or wrong amount to jump.

Yeah, I've pretty much been on a break since I broke my leg. The head-trip I suffer before jumping is incredible...less intense than the anxiety before my first jump but more insidious...

Now that I know what it means on a physical level when it all goes pear-shaped I've become way more selective on jumps, and turn down "perfectly good" jumps for no other reason that I just don't feel like it. I've even thought of retiring and selling my gear, but then I imagine life without jumping and I see myself either a fat couch potato or a miserable addict...

So, I'm facing my hurdles and looking forward to going to TF to knock several out, break the crust off and start again...

Peace, and thanks for this thread...
K

YES - me now.

Last BASE jump was late last year and my last skydive was the last round of the world championships in Croatia last year.

Why? Family, career, writing some books, some business stuff, and a recurring back injury (not caused by jumping but jumping does not help it).

By coincidence, I nearly did one this morning as a friend was passing through after two years away travelling. But the timing was not right r.e. our schedules.

I am mad keen, suffering, and going cold turkey at the moment. I also have life membership to this BASE jumping gig. I want to be the 75 year old that does a lazy hand held flop at Bridge Day.. The one the young punks both laugh at and admire.

But, each to their own. You have to do what is right for you. If you lose the passion and interest, then it may be a sign to move on. You need these emotions to keep you focused.

Currency is also very important. I think you need to be selective about your jumps if you are doing it infrequently.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I go through "de-motivational" periods as well. Fortunately my friends manage to drag my butt out so that generally the longest I go between jumps is maybe a couple of weeks.

I've noticed a bit of a pattern. Most folks seem to go gangbusters for the first 50-60 jumps. Once that initial rush wears off you get into a more relaxed pattern. After trips folks seem to be more motivated (and current) and bust out more jumps than usual.

After about 100 jumps I just reached a point to where running out somewhere and climbing a tower on a work night seemed more of a hassle than fun. And when something stops being fun, you need to change your habits so that it stays fun. Otherwise you just get burned out completely.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I've pretty much been on a break since I broke my leg

you didnt tell... I thourght we went it through together..:ph34r: anyway... get up on the horse..its really scarry but as i said.. my comeback jump were one of the coolest jumps i ever made so far...

even as the climb to 400ft took aprox 45 mins,and that i used aprox 35mins after gearchek to make my comeback jump... A solo from the same object were i broke my leg on a solo...:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber