hondarider35

non jumpers

1st let me say i found this site looking around for skydive training so i dont know chit:S however as a private pilot i have followed base for maybe 7 or 8 years just due to the fact your planning, training and risk calculation are very similar. my question is are non jumpers welcome... your posts have helped me to learn alot and will make me a safer skydiver and pilot .

Hi Hondarider.

I hang in here a fair bit, and I don't BASE jump (except in the GTA video game :))

I done 3 skydives but thats it, anyone is allowed in here, just remember most basic questions you may have you may be able to find by searching the forum, people will generally get sick of people asking the same questions,
but everyone here is usually friendly :)

maybe i should clarify myself i just think the planning of an adventure is half the fun even if you dont jump alot more goes into it than just rigging and jumping i.e. site selection wind and turbulent factor alternative plan and that kind of stuff

Everyone is welcome in these forums, jumper and non-jumper alike. There are a few relatively simple rules, so have a read over both the Forum Rules and the Before You Post guidelines. Reading some of the past threads in the forum is also a good idea, both to learn things and to get a feel for the forum's flow. After that, you're pretty much good to go.

Welcome to the forums.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thanks i read alot of posts and the rules thats why im getting to my point slowly. I live in an area that could be an awsome playground for you guys but aint giving up any info on it in a public forum and unless i know im not gona get some half jacked idiot with a superman comic hurt or killed im not talking. with that i will say in almost 20 years here not 1 time have i heard of anyone doing any base from some possible 1st jumps and this is the 1st forum i have found that i feel ok with trying to make a few friends. I would realy like to even just find out if anyone has done a few spots in the southeastern us. Thanks hope im not out of line

I would realy like to even just find out if anyone has done a few spots in the southeastern us. Thanks hope im not out of line

Yup. We've done a few.

Gardner

my question is are non jumpers welcome... your posts have helped me to learn alot

Welcome, ask the appropriate questions here and you will get the appropriate answers.

as a private pilot i have followed base for maybe 7 or 8 years just due to the fact your planning, training and risk calculation are very similar.

I was a private pilot before I became a skydiver before I became a BASE jumper. But I don't see too many similarities. Skydiving and BASE jumping use somewhat similar gear, but they are two different things, and yes planning cross-country plane trips do require some planning as does a BASE jump. But they are two entirely different planning scenarios. So other than having a wing over your head and having the skill and experience to land safely on the ground, I really don't see very many similarities between the three. Don't get me wrong, I think being a pilot is good thing when it comes to learning how to fly your canopy, but that's about it.

Good luck with your flying and jumping goals ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I totaly agree my point is pilots must me very calculated and percise i am here to lear and as in planning a x country a base jumper can do all the calculations prepare for the jump all day but half the rush has got to be gettin in or on to a site and pulling it off without anyone finding out the planning and execution of the experience as a whole not just the jump is what interests me

lol at age 40 i gotta take baby steps and lern to skydive and may never get to or want to do base but the dark side does attract me;)

Everyone is welcome in these forums, jumper and non-jumper alike.

However, I have the feeling that non jumpers do not get completly accepted here. For example not replying to questions, or giving fairly agressive relpies and other things. Don't ask me to give examples of posts, not easy to search that. It's just something I noticed here.

I have the feeling that you need to do some jumps first before people accept you really, otherwise they just think that your some stupid skydiver (or non) that thinks that basejumping is cool and so easy...

This is just what I something think I see, I could be completly wrong (I hope so).
(This is no directly intented to you Tom, defenitly not acusing you of anything)

Ah, maybe I should just shut up and start jumping...

Thijs

I have the feeling that non jumpers do not get completely accepted here. For example not replying to questions, or giving fairly agressive replies and other things.

I don't think it's that bad, although I'll admit that having done a jump will give you an advantage here.

The reason for some of the harsh replies to non-jumpers lies in the fact that occassionally they have not bothered to do a search on Google or in the archives first, nor have they bothered to use proper capitalization or worried about where periods and commas go.

Well written posts, like yours, always get my full attention and if I believe I have something useful to add (which doesn't happen often) I will reply.

as i see it no one is ever totaly acepted everywhere but it is smarter to listen look and learn and ask questions before even concidering taking the 1st step on a very long hard journy if it was cool i wanted id turn on the a/c lol B| the way i see it i hate wasting time but you guys are probably 10 times more saftey oriented due to the risk factor, you have to be the best every timeas i read alot of posts in other areasthe base forum seems to take it to a new level you guys deserve everyones respect you earned it the hard way !!!

I totaly agree my point is pilots must me very calculated and percise

Please don't take this personally, but I had to chime in here...

Last week I saw a licensed pilot on his third AFF jump land downwind:S:S

To his credit he realised his mistake about 30 ft up, and did not try to turn into the wind:)
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a different ballgame!

[edited for sppeellling]

Have fun, be safe,
Rainman