grundleson

Self assisted PCA

I have heard of people doing a self assisted PCA from objects, but have never gotten the full scoop on how to actually do it.

does anyone know how to pull this one off?

-e

Dont die!

Do you mean a standard static line?

Try searching this forum for "static line" and see if that's what you're looking for. There are many ways to do it.

If that's not it, can you clarify what you mean?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

say two guys want to do a low jump from just for time being, a bridge. there are only two jumpers, and the bridge is not high enough for a go and throw therefore being BOTH jumpers with need a PCA.

the first jumper can go PCA'ed by the second jumper, but the second jumper will need assistance from something other than a person. how is this set up? or, how is it set up if you dont want to leave gear, equipment behind?

-e

Dont die!

Do a forum seach for "static line" or "carry on static line". It's best to have someone show you in person, and practice from something high enough that screwing it up won't kill you.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'll highjack this thread to ask about something related. I recently saw a video of a person jumping from the corner of a building. He had laid his pilotchute on the edge of the building behind him. He jumped, trailed the pilotchute for a bit and then opened fairly high.

What would be the reasons for doing this? I don't think it would open quicker than a traditional hand-held jump, would it? The potential risk is that there is never a snatch force, instead the drag slowly increases over time, increasing the chances of towing. The other danger seems that the pilotchute could hang up somewhere if the edge of the building has snatch points. All in all, I couldn't see why this type of jump would ever be preferable over a go-and-throw. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jaap Suter

In theory, the PC could be inlated and at bridle stretch as it crosses the exit point, which is pretty good as far as hand held jumps go. So, they may have felt that the 'PC drag' would do them better than their handheld technique.

Personally, I think it's a stunt, rather than an actually useful technique.

But hey, why not just try it 5 or 6 times the next time you're down here. Then you can form an opinion as to whether it has some value between the static line and handheld options.

The snag potential thing sounds pretty grim, too.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

the first jumper can go PCA'ed by the second jumper, but the second jumper will need assistance from something other than a person. how is this set up? or, how is it set up if you dont want to leave gear, equipment behind?

-e

I think where you might be getting a bit confused here. BASE gear does not use a D-bag.. the bridle and pilot chute is connected straight to the canopy. doing a static line wont leave any gear behind. Seen people just put a few wraps of masking tape on there bridle to the handrail and go for it.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

i know base doesnt use a d bag.
i figured you would have to set something up to "static line" off the object. follow ?
yeah.

i like the tape idea.
would want to see someone else do it before i was lookin at the deck from the exit point with my bridle taped with masking tape to a pole on the top of a tower. ha

-e

Dont die!

Tape works great. 3 or 4 wraps through the top eye of the bridal and you're good to go.

Yeah or get your girlfriend to PCA you off.:D
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

In theory, the PC could be inlated and at bridle stretch as it crosses the exit point, which is pretty good as far as hand held jumps go.

I saw a video once that caused me to doubletake. The jumper went hand-held/go and throw, but seemed to have the bridle short and taught, such that when he jumped, he extended his arm to the point of pulling the pin(s). On close inspection, this proved not to be the case, but it made me think.

First and foremost, the risk I saw was bridle entanglement with/around a canopy that might be falling out of the opened container, rather than one being pulled out, up and away from the container if the timing wasn't "just right".

Personally, I think it's a stunt, rather than an actually useful technique.

I thought the same thing about this "pull-out" method with BASE, but it caused me to wonder. Has anyone ever used this technique(/stunt) or something like it? Aside from the entanglement possibility with a canopy falling out of the container, rather than being extracted, what are some other risks?

-C.

Tape works great. 3 or 4 wraps through the top eye of the bridal and you're good to go.

And what works even better is military spec break-chord!! It's ultra-cheap and can easily be ordered by anyone. $65 US will get you 500 yards! Split it up between some buddies.

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=33&level=2&parent=193[url]

Paragear...under "Thread"(rigging) bottom of the page. Why use anything else?
SabreDave

use steering line with a finger trap loop at both ends.Pass 1 through the other around a railing to form a larks head or a slip not.Then take break cord(any base manufacture has it $1 per yard)and tie it a specific way through the bridal(either at end or a looped not you make closer to the pins or shrivel flap)then through the finger trap on the steering line.Search on blinc will show you how to tie the static line,or here.Hope this helps.
http://freakboy066.tripod.com/

...masking tape...

Masking tape tears far too easily. I'd really recommend against using it.

Electrical tape is a much better choice, if you are going the tape route.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I thought the same thing about this "pull-out" method with BASE, but it caused me to wonder. Has anyone ever used this technique(/stunt) or something like it? Aside from the entanglement possibility with a canopy falling out of the container, rather than being extracted, what are some other risks?

If I understand the method you are describing, I'd say the big risk would be introducing slack into the lines. If you don't time that just right, I could see slack in the lines, which leads to all kinds of potential trouble.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If you don't time that just right, I could see slack in the lines, which leads to all kinds of potential trouble.

Yeah...when I first saw the clip, I was like "WTF?!" I couldn't believe what I thought I saw. Glad that I just hadn't seen it right.

Thanks for the reply.
-C.

Do a search on carry with you SL.

Here is my set up. On low stuff I PCA the jumpers and hook myself up.
Memento Audere Semper

just a question Tom.Being a teacher of Base should you not teach the proper way of doing a static line with the proper materials?ie;not tape ,but brake cord?

he wasnt teaching to use tape, but if you did use tape to use electrical over masking tape (which he advised against)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

...masking tape...

The other thing is that electrical tape doesn't change strength when wet. As I understand it......masking tape can increase in strength when it becomes wet!?
SabreDave

...masking tape...

The other thing is that electrical tape doesn't change strength when wet. As I understand it......masking tape can increase in strength when it becomes wet!?

You also have to remember that electrical tape changes strength with temperature. Sub-zero it can become quite brittle.

Proper break cord avoids all these issues.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sure.

I was trying to address a potentially dangerous mis-conception (that "tape" meant masking tape), not provide instruction on how to perform a static line jump.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

why even say it that way.just tell a newby to use the proper materials,and technique.just tell them the right thing to do first. let them figure out there own bad habits later.

point made, but more than newbies post here. But I see where you are going. You are saying that "we" should tailor our responses for newbies.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...