vandev

Rateing jumps..

I was wondering what you would rate jumps from the various eliments...ie B.....A....S....E...? I have been learning that each comes with its own set of issues that need to delt with differently. For instance, on a A....What is the "puker factor" being 1000 ft up and having that think swaying back and forth.... Thats has to add to the difficulty... And lets not forget the wires... A building is not moving...well you wont notice movement, but again ...a hole other set of isues. The E's.....It seems the only issues is really getting away from the wall.....it does seem that it does give you more time to get stable if you had exit issues...again ...I have never base jumped so i could be completly wrong.. but the E's seem to be more like flying... The S's well i can see the much safer aspect of the span....well at least over 400 ft... and the B's....these as not many above 600ft have to be the most technical...ie landing space...power wires...cars on streets.... and of courese the building it self....ie smacking the building....
So how would you rate your jumps in terms of pleasure... Like Looking down in the valley and just soaking it up or looking down off a swinging antenna...There seems to be a big difference in jumps....Would like to hear different views....B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Some information on this here
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

Thanks holly, Hey Tom you can pull this post if you like....I see it has already been asked....:S

Thanks chris

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

ok....what about the movment factor of the A..?? Its got to be really moving at 600ft on up....that has to really add to the jump....:S i will be mostly be jumping....well...my only close access to any objects will be A's for training.....

>>ok....what about the movment factor of the A..?? Its got to be really moving at 600ft on up....that has to really add to the jump....I've felt bridges<<

I've felt bridges dance around when big trucks cross over, I hear, and sometimes think I feel, new buildings creak and groan under my feet as they settle, I've even been at our little cliff in So Cal when we had a small earthquake, but I've never felt a tower sway.

I've been on all kinds of guyed towers in all kinds of winds. Even when doing floaters off very tall towers in 40 knot winds they don't move. I think unlike some other types of structures towers aren't designed to sway. A constant motion like that would probably cause damage like bending a beer can until it breaks. I mean they vibrate a bit, but not sway like you have to hold on . . .

However I can imagine that maybe those electric pylon things they jump in GB might sway as the wires between them catch wind . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Only the real skinny ones move enough to cause you to notice it. Usually the guide wires keep stable

NEVER GIVE UP!

Thanks Nickster.....and i hope you are feeling well....I hope your recovery is comming along.... I really enjoy your comments....All the best and health to you bro.....chrisB|

Oh, we have a skinny little 180' free-stander that likes to sway as people jump - that's why I'd prefer to go first!

But you're right, the big ones don't really move at all. Hey Vandev, quit being such a skydiver and get out and climb a big tower ladder!

sum1

PS: If the wet-back gimp is reading this, please let me know if you're coming to my party Friday and if you'll need a ride. Anyone else want to come to my party - we'll be having a flaming vagina...

I've been on all kinds of guyed towers in all kinds of winds. Even when doing floaters off very tall towers in 40 knot winds they don't move.

Hey Nick, I can never decide whether the tower is moving or whether it's just my head spinning ;). Last night I definately thought the A was swaying a little (500 ft, 3 wires, ~15 mph at the top). I always assumed they were designed to 'give' a bit.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

You will mostly not feel it, but the upper part of antenna's can move at a great amplitude of a few feet or meters. This is because of the fact that our senses only register a difference in the angle with the ground. If you are high up, you will not see the difference if you move a couple for feet forward or backwards. If you take a 500 ft antenna, an angle of 0,5 degrees with the normal on the ground, the maximum amplitude is something of 4 ft.
Antennas have to be able to move, otherwise they would just brake in two once the stress on them becomes to large. Also thermal expantion is a factor, since almost anything tends to grow if it become hotter (hmm, that sounded kinda dirty ;))
I once heard of someone in the army that this movement is a big deal on aircraft carriers. No-one will notice the ship making an angle of 1 degrees with the sea, but the farest parts of the deck can move up or down a couple of meters, which can be a suprise to landing airplanes. If you stand on that part of the deck, you won't feel much of it though.
The swinning antenna should be that much of a trouble jumping it though I think.

Edit: This could be terribly wrong, maybe ask the guys at the antenna company :)

However I can imagine that maybe those electric pylon things they jump in GB might sway as the wires between them catch wind . . .

Surprisingly not. You'd think that with well over half a mile of cables between them they would. In high winds you can feel vibration, but no perceptible movement.

I've been walking my dog below them in winds strong enough to be lifting people's roof tiles and there's still no movement that I can tell.

Check this bad boy out... at a 70 mph wind the top light moves 10 feet.......

http://www.kvlytv11.com/info_tower.html

when you're at the top, stand on a platform and don't hold on with your hands then try closing your eyes. You can feel the tower swaying then. Or maybe it's just vertigo;)

Jason

If a hunter at the base of the KVLY tower shot at a goose flying near the top with a .45 caliber pistol, he would have to lead the goose by more than the length of a football field, or approximately 335 feet.

Why would anyone try to shoot a goose with a .45 caliber pistol????:S
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Why would anyone try to shoot a goose with a .45 caliber pistol????

its called fair game giving the goos a fair chance:ph34r::D and the hunter a emty belly no matter the outcome:o

Stay safe
Stefan Faber