pope

FYI: The skinny on the Shilo at TF

Reply to an email I sent follows:

I am in receipt of your e-mail to Shilo’s Corporate office regarding your concerns about staying with us in Twin Falls. We are more than willing to work with you to try and meet your needs while in the area.

Let me share our experience with base jumpers over this last year. In an effort to accommodate jumpers in the past we have offered very competitive rates…in addition we have opened up our conference rooms to be used as a resting place and a place to fold parachutes. Last year during your big event we made the meeting room available each day for the week…each day we cleaned up after the jumpers both in the conference room and hallways.

Since then the jumpers we have had in have gone into our conference rooms without checking with us. These rooms were set up for meetings. They moved everything around, folded their chutes and left the room a mess. We then had to set the room up again. This happened three times over the last few months. When a conference room is not available they have used the hallways with music and conversation loud enough to disturb the other guests. Unfortunately it seems a few participants have spoiled it for all.

As I said earlier we would love to work with you and make our facilities available to you. I think what would help is if you communicated to the other jumpers the issues that we have faced in the past. Our conference rooms are usually booked but if I have some advance notice of your visit I can set a room aside for your use. It would also be helpful if we had a contact person for any group of base jumpers that stay with us.

Please contact me personally to coordinate your stay…I’m sure we can work out any problems and come to a mutually satisfactory agreement. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sue Pezzuto
General Manager
Shilo Inn - Twin Falls
T (208) 733 - 754

That's what I guessed may have happened. I remember when I was there, they were very adament about us putting the tables and chairs back the way we found them so that the conference room looked like a conference room instead of a room to store tables and chairs.

They've been very accomodating in the past, letting us use the room free of charge. I'm sure that if we scheduled and offered to pay to book the room for us they'd be all for it, but when they give up the room for free and we walk all over their hospitality, what do you expect?

Yes, a little respect and common courtesy goes a long way. The HI during BD is the exception, not the norm. Let's all try to be more concientious when we stay at, and pack in, hotels.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Jumpers do trash these rooms. More than 4 years ago, jumpers in the shiloh conference center were spelling things with those TF sticker balls on the carpeted walls, and just leaving them. Among other things. I stopped staying with them like 3 years ago, when they began with an understandably anti jumper stance. Even the Ameritel will rightly physically hand you a vacuum cleaner to clean up after yourself, and I usually assign myself as the maid to keep this place friendly doing boogies.

I'm going to sticky this for a bit.

I think there's a good lesson here for all of us, in terms of community relations and how the impressions we leave affect other jumpers.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

PS:

And if you're not a paying guest of the Shilo, we won't be seeing you for breakfast unless we meet you at McDonalds.

K

Hopefully if you're eating breakfast, you get something more than what they serve a the Shiloh.

A couple bagels and some coffee is hardly what I'd call a breakfast.

edit: everyone knows the best breakfast in Twin Falls is at the Kung Pow Ranch.

thats a damn shame cause the couple of thies i did stay there they were very nice and accomodateing and invited us to use the conferance room to pack . but i have been staying at the comfort inn for most of my trips ther eand always stay in the same room and its comfortable and convenient and they are good to me, but man we all have to be an ambassador for good will all the time . it aint hard just treat others as you would like to be treated and treat other,s proprty as you would want your,s treated , its easy . looking forward to seeing you all there have fun
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

The Kung Pow Ranch is where it's at! That's on my top 2 list for breakfast places.:D

Surprise, two posts from me in one night. Believe me Tom, Joy and I always check the site, but intentionally stay out of most issues. This issue is important. Carl Boenish was a true gentleman by every definition. His motto was "Take only memories and leave only footprints". Same for the hotel. Our sport is crazy enough for most people to grasp let alone accept. If we prove we're just a bunch of wild people who don't respect the hospitality given us, we'll ruin it for everyone. Let's police ourselves.
Rick Harrison

Stayed at the Shilo last week. Spoke with Sue the manager and she let us use the conference room to pack. Just check in with her about the room availability and clean up. I was surprised how many things they have going on in there.
Oh the free breakfast is at Perkins, just flash your room key.