cesslon

Arm chair base.

My Digital BASE adventure.

Sorry if this post is a little off topic, but hopefully someone will find this enjoyable to read.
But tonight I was at my parent’s house and my younger brother was playing a game on his playstation 2.
the latest GTA "grand theft auto" game
asked him if its the game that I heard ya can go to the top of a building and grab a chute laying around and BASE off it.
he then told me that you can jump off anything that’s high enough.

So I stole the controller from his hands (hope he don’t grow up to be bigger then me) and had a quick play, drove to the top off this very tall mountain checked out the cliff's, most were very low (the vertical part), but the mountain had steep sides,
so I jumped on a bike and went very fast off a jump that was coincidently aimed out over the side of the mountain.

I rode it very fast hit the jump, launched out, then jumped off the bike, this was the first time I had done it, I jumped off the bike to soon and ended up facing back in towards the wall, there was an under hang (and I didn't know you could track, although I never had enough height or time to turn and track) so I didn't waste time turning around and deployed my shoot which resulted in a cliff strike which I found very amusing (game over, or at least 1 less credit life thing).

So I decided to go back to the top of the mountain, this time I found it quicker to jump in a harrier jet, fly above the mountain and skydive down.
Was very excited to find that I could track and all, how ever couldn’t do any flips but could do a basic 360.
As I skydived to the top of the mountain I decided to see how low I could pull, my younger brother yelled, pull, pull now or it won’t open (he forgot I have 3 real jumps more experience them him haha).
I pulled a little later and had a good 5 feet to spare  lol
(I was so like a kid with a new toy, only problem was this toy wasn’t mine).

I looked over seen the bike (was only a push bike) ran over then jumped on it again.
Rode it very fast and went off the jump again, I pressed the button that you do to get off the bike, and was in perfect position so started to track away from the mountain.
I had thought it would be heaps cheesy and I would simply only be able to fall straight down and only for a second or 2.
Turns out I found it to be very cool, as I was tracking I seen the ground where I thought id hit, then I seen that if I tracked far enough that bit of ground ended up stepping down again.
The mountain had a lot of steps (if that’s what you would call them).
Anyway I kept tracking and seen the last step and was wanting to clear it then deploy at the bottom of the mountain, I realized I wasn’t going to make it (very last second) so I just deployed, the chute seemed to have fully inflated but I still hit the ground to hard and got “Wasted”, that’s what it said on the screen lol.

So anyway like the kid I was I went back to the top of the mountain picked up the rig again, except this time I knew I needed to get further away from the mountain, so I jumped in a bus LOL and drove it over the jump, I exited the bus and started to track,
I cleared several steps then finally the last step, deployed, opened about 20 feet up, took 1 turn to the left, was very surprised to find you could even flare and flared and landed on the road.
Laughed with excitement then came home.

Don’t know if you guys have played this game before but if you have a playstation I’d recommend you get this game for the days where the weather won’t let you jump and you realize you have seen all you vidz a billion times and have nothing better to do.

Hope someone here liked my digital adventure. 
I'd love it if a full dedicate BASE game came out, I'd buy a console just for it :ph34r:

If you do a search in the Bonfire forum, someone there actually captured the video from a large number of BASE jumps on GTA.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

hahah cool.

I'm a better digital BASE jumper then this guy though, my tracking skills are way better :)
oh yeah and I'm more extreme :S haha.

that vid looks kinda like it was made by aiming a video camera at the screen pretty good quality though if thats how it was made.

would be cool if the next GTA is in norway :)

that vid looks kinda like it was made by aiming a video camera at the screen pretty good quality though if thats how it was made.

Easier just to tape it onto VCR... put the playstation thru the VCR and hit record!

yeah but if he dont have a capture card in his computer he will either have to get 1 or put a link on a website saying "if anyone wants to see the video email me your address and ill post you a copy snail mail"
which sounds quite easy :S except he might not have 2 VCR's so cant copy the tape :) .

but yeah your idea was how I orginally thought it was done, but then a friend pointed out to me the blue lines on the video make it look like it was done with a cam.

on top of the tallest bldg in los santos (the first one you can access) get the rig, and exit from the east face.. if youre slick you can track thru the blgds across the street.. try it out

the pilot school is pretty swank as well.
i bought this game the day it came out and when i realized they had integrated base my jaw hit the floor... how fkin cool is that? makes me wonder if there was a jumper on the development team....:)

makes me wonder if there was a jumper on the development team....:)

sure.. an armchair jumper :)

You can jump more buildings and other objects using a helicopter and landing on the object and jump. you do lose the heli, but whatever, steal another one.

me and a friend made a game out of finding the lowest objects... too bad you cant go handheld..:)

haha cool
lowest thing I jumped was off a crane.

I mainly just kept going to the top of the mountain and seeing how far I could track.

the furthest ya can make it offf the mountain is to the road, if ya clear the last step of the mountain ya pull almost straight away then ya about 60 feet up, turn and land.

But what I wanna try next time I play it is launch off in the car or what ever, and once I exit the car track straight away then when at full speed, stop tracking for a split second, throw a 360 then track again and see if I can still clear the bottom step :)

I'm very new to the game, is it all set in the 1 city or is there like different levels in the game where ya in diff citys with diff mountains etc ?

Using the mounain bike (self propelled) and the monument thats on the deck atop the mountain I have exited a half second after leaving the 'jump' and tracked all the way down to the road, clearing 3 different ledges and trees along the way. It s like 16 seconds or so.

This confirms it, yes I am a nerd.