TVPB

CRW on BASE Jumps - Awesome!! ;)

Hi Folks

http://ozcrw.tripod.com/benefits_crw.htm#BASE

I'm putting together a website about CRW (Canopy Relative Work or Canopy Formation) and I have included a section that describes the benefits that CRW has for BASE. This site is a first draft, with no editing.

I am interested in any feedback, good or bad, as long as it is constructive.

Thanks

Tom

p.s. have done CRW on BASE jumps and will post some photo's iff I get a chance to find them.

:) - :P
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Very nice... I also did a lot of CReW before I started BASE jumping. I think it is a good way to progress into BASE.

Maybe you might want to add something about how it gives you some practice flying & landing 7 cells, as they are quite different from the 9 cells everyone's used too...

Just my $0.02 ;)

Jen
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Nice! I competed in CRW before I took the BASE FJC. I hadn't mentioned it to them in advance, but I can remember coming up from my first bungee jump as part of that course and having the guy up top say, "So... CRW, eh?" Apparently I had reached to where the risers should have been as soon as the bungee started to take my weight.

Was the guy that supervised the bungee jump a skydiver? Why would he just assume CRW if you reached for your risers? I have never done any crew but my hands are always on my risers as soon as they come out.

Greenie in training.

Why would he just assume CRW if you reached for your risers?

Most skydivers find their hands near the risers eventually on a jump -- sometimes even before they're ready to grab the toggles ;). If you're truly on your shit as soon as that PC has you sitting up, then that's commendable. But it's not typical. I've taught CRW to skydivers who figured they were on things pretty quick if they were steering five seconds after the canopy opened.

... Which is part of why CRW is such amazing prep for BASE.

Was the guy that supervised the bungee jump a skydiver? Why would he just assume CRW if you reached for your risers? I have never done any crew but my hands are always on my risers as soon as they come out.

Have a look at the lower guy in this 2 way photo (click on the photo to enlarge it). I think that's the kind of thing that 736 is talking about. Many BASE jumpers are this fast on the risers. Few skydivers are.

You need to be very careful doing this early a grab. I've sprained my thumb twice going for risers that weren't yet taut.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Not sure if my hands are there waiting before the risers come out, but I do always have ahold of them before the slider is down. Seems like they hit my hands just as they pop out, but I have never had them really slap me.

Greenie in training.

ok Tom....i have always been quick on the risers.....camera...and the board.. i hope this passes over to my base skills...B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I do not know if this is the case. But what about CRW teaching fundamentals of handling adverse situations under canopy. Most people who do not carry a hook knife seem to give the reason "I do not do CRW". And since you have more things to hit under canopy you have to pay attention to collisions etc..

Few skydivers are.

Yeah, but some of us have learned to be.....:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

i think crw helps a lot with BASE, not just for the experience it gives you flying a 7 cell. (afterall crw canopies are loaded at around 1.3-1.4, so a little different than a BASE canopy) But the experience crw gives you with all techniques of flying is very valuable. Riser vs toggle turns, sinking, stalling, riser/toggle combinations. also your reaction speed gets better the more crew you get, after all how many times on a normal skydive do you have to avoid a wrap.
just my 2 cents.
BTW anyone passing through colorado, the former world champions the WILD HUMANS do awesome coaching for not much more than a slot and beer.
confucious say: he who stands on top of toilet gets high on pot.

I have actually grabbed my risers prior to riser/linestretch with a FIRM Grip on them. The .25 second after that the riser on seemed to snap so hard It felt as if I dislocated my left soulder. I have had a bad rash of shoulder injuries, but it was so bad i was only making right hand turns to landing where i forced my self to flare to PLF. i did this on a skydive preparing for BASE.

You need to be very careful doing this early a grab. I've sprained my thumb twice going for risers that weren't yet taut.

I always brought my hands up to grab my risers as soon as I let go of the pilot chute. It probably saved me from a collision or two.

One time, though, something inexplicable happened, and my right riser whacked me in the face, leaving me with a bloody lip, a bruised cheek, a semi-black eye, and a bruised hand. I can't swear to it, but I think I smacked myself in the chin.

hey does someone know if anyone has done a downplane after making a base jump? it seems very possible off of a large A or the bigger cliffs in europe???
confucious say: he who stands on top of toilet gets high on pot.

YES

;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.