NathanL100

Line Twists

I've been thinking about line twists lately and I was curious what people thought about how to deal with them. I was taught that if your about to fly into something and you're all spun up that you should climb:ph34r: up the twists and grab a free control line above the twists and try to turn it around. It sounds good in theory, but has anyone actually saved their ass by doing this? (if so, please share...) To me it seems like it would be a lot harder to do than it sounds... [:/] Plus when you're clawing your way up the twists it would be pretty easy to accidently unstow a toggle, which would make things a lot more interesting.
Base # 942
The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself.

I've only had line twists on one BASE jump. I had taken a 7-second delay off a pretty big tower, so I was quite a ways away when I opened with 1 1/2 twists, and the canopy was pointing pretty much straight back at the tower. I knew I had a few moments, so I pulled and kicked out of them in plenty of time.

My two boys were with me. My oldest was watching from the top and didn't notice a significant delay in my turning away from the tower. But my youngest was operating the elevator from the bottom and saw the line twists. From his (alarmed) perspective, it took me way too long to correct the problem. But he also said I had only moved about halfway back from my opening point before I got my canopy under control, so it wasn't too dangerous, just scary.

Don't know if this helps, since I wasn't near collision. Since then, I've wondered what to do if I was closer and still in twists. I'm looking forward to reading other's experiences and thoughts.

I've had one expierience on a 330' freestanding tower in which I opened with a line twist, My body was still facing away from the tower but the canopy was flying back towards the tower; I was suprised to find I reacted quickly reaching above the twist and hauling down on my rear riser to steer clear, kick out and land uneventfully. During my dirt dive just before I jump I go over emegency procedures. Also note that I had no problem knowing my rear riser even in the twist. Mind you, it was only a single twist.

I'm curious to see others responses as well. Seeing as how I can't "kick" out of twists it'll take me much longer to get out of them than anyone else. I know what I'd have to do if I ever got twists but I am curious to know how hard it'll actually be. I suppose some of it depends on where the twists are. If they're right above the connector links then maybe I won't have to climb the lines to reach above them. Most things are easier said than done.

I have had three jumps with line twists (all in Idaho thankfully) and I had enough time on all to just kick out of them. I thought a lot about my process for this though. I didn't really think about getting above the twist, but I would imagine that if I was staring at an object it would make me think differently as well.

...climb up the twists and grab a free control line...

I don't know about you, but I can't tell the lines apart that fast. I'd hit the object while trying to sort out which line was a control line. I'm in favor of climbing above the twists and just grabbing a whole riser group.

I've turned canopies above twists on 3 occasions. It can be very confusing, but once the turn starts, you can tell what you've got in your hand (by the effect on the canopy), and any turn is pretty much better than smacking into the side of the object straight on.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

From my experience get above them and grab something. Striking an object sucks especially when there is some more fall to be had with a partially deflated canopy. Get your track down too.

I've turned canopies above twists on 3 occasions.

Did you have to climb above the twists or could you reach above them while still hanging in your leg straps?

Both. It's going to depend on how big a set of twists you have.

Climbing hand over hand up the twists is very hard. On the other hand, you have pretty good arm strength/weight ratio, so it may be easier for you.

Maybe something to try hanging in the backyard?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

After my buddy had a cliff strike I asked some experienced guys what they would do in case your canopy is flying towards and you are facing away the wall (and have not much time). One guy told me he would grab both (back and front) risers and pull them down. If the canopy is turning further then you want to, he would pull the opposite side to stop rotation. I want to try that someday out of the plane to see if it works, but it sounds not too bad.

If one has line twists upon opening, the issue "why" is the issue IMHO. Don't go there. I caint help ya once you are there. Assymetrical/lame PC or uncool position upon deployment, are the only causes for this. Deal with the cause.
The climbing up the risers seems the only option (have fun) iffin one has not dealt with the factors I stated. I do speak from vast experience.
take care,
space

One guy told me he would grab both (back and front) risers and pull them down.

This is essentially the technique I use. Without line twists, I prefer to double (rear) riser stall, then release one rear riser and transfer that hand to the opposite front riser for a double (side) riser turn.

I've not tried this with line twists, though.

A significant set of line twists can change canopy trim pretty dramatically, so that your canopy won't necessarily fly and respond as you are accustomed to.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was thinking when I wrote up this post that I have only seen one canopy twist up really bad and it turned out that the canopy was fucked up to begin with. But other than that it seems that bad line twists, more than 2 or 3 twists, are rather uncommon under normal conditions unless you're thinking WS base and that’s a totally different issue.

I like 283's point fix the problem at the source so that you'll mitigate the chances of it happening. Which is why I don’t go slider up on solid objects that I can’t track away from, the list proves that short delays on solid objects slider up is going to bite you in the ass.B|

Just my 2 cents… Flame away!! >:(
Base # 942
The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself.

Line twists are fairly common as people learn wingsuits. And they suck even more because of the extra fabric in the way.

Still, I've seen line twists from standard jumps, both because of high winds (1 second delay in 45+ mph winds) and dumping from a slightly unstable max track (similar to why some folks get line twists dumping from full wingsuit flight, at first).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've climbed up the Risers a couple times.
I don't think it is as fun as you say it is. ;)
It always seems like this shit, Always Happens.. when I get, " Greedy."
and take it down a little lower than usual....It Never Fails.

An awareness of the relationship between object and jumper on deployment should keep you switched on as to which way your canopy is flying. Paramount in your mind should be making sure your canopy is not flying toward the object. Forget kicking out the twists - reach up and grab a riser group ABOVE the twists. It's pretty easy to identify lines coming from the left or the right of the canopy and to just grab a bunch of lines on the side you wish to turn and REEF them down. i.e. do everything you need to to just turn the canopy away.

Twists can be kicked out after this - or even landed. I'd rather land twists than object-strike.

Maybe I've been lucky - every time it's happened I've been able to reach above the twists with no problem. Maybe other set-ups and rigs have longer risers and may be more of a problem to reach up. Again, this has been the case on my gear but I'm sure there are rigs out there that are prone to line-twists being higher up than what I'm used to. Where the twists actually end up is hard-wired into the canopy's geometry and could probably be determined prior (on a skydive maybe -forgive my suggestion, what was I thinking).

My experience has only been with 1.5 to 2 twists (thank goodness).

Cya - g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

Still, I've seen line twists from standard jumps, both because of high winds (1 second delay in 45+ mph winds) and dumping from a slightly unstable max track (similar to why some folks get line twists dumping from full wingsuit flight, at first).

I take issue with you calling these jumps standard. Those types of jumps are exceptional. But in hindsight I realize that "standard" is only a perspective. I think it is really scary that such could be considered standard although I really enjoy a 45'er up my butt on the exit point every once in a great while but it aint my norm. (45mph i do mean :-)
mebbie I aint extreme. Happy new bier!
take care,
space

I think that practicing the method you are going to use to get out of line twists, (kicking or reaching up) should be part of your canopy drills.

When I jump from kjerag and open high, I put myself into a couple of line twists by rotating in my harness, then I reach up and practice turning. I do this quite regularly in the hope that when it happens for real I will be better equiped to cope.

George
http://georgechurchill.blogspot.com