TomAiello

Russel Video

I've put some video of Russel up on my web page. I'm currently uploading a higher quality version to skydivingmovies.com.

I think that his stowed jump on Monday was probably the coolest BASE jump I've ever seen.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

seen the vid, awesome...
just a little question, as he is (or seems to be) ina standup position at opening, doesn't that give harder openings ?? Or at least more harsh for the rig and canopy ??
My thought is the pendulum movement of the body at opening should be something that "sweetens" the opening...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

In two seconds, you're going about the same speed as you would in any body position, so a stand wouldn't make the opening any harder. If anything, a stand could be softer because there's no "whip".
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

That just gave me chills of joy. Wow!

Russel, congratulations.

Simply awed.

standup position at opening, doesn't that give harder openings ?? Or at least more harsh for the rig and canopy ??

The opening is pretty much going to be the same "hardness" on the gear no matter what position you deploy in. It'll generally be less "hard" on your body if you deploy in a head high position, because, as Manbird points out, you "whip" less. On his second jump (done from a sitting position) Russel was so head low that he whipped hard enough to kick himself in the face. His solution was to try dropping from a hanging exit, so that he'd just stay head high the whole time.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You are an inspiration!

"...and the winner of the 'understatement of the year' award goes to..." :P

What a man.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

RUSSELL simply f#ckin awsome man i got almost as big a thrill and sense of joy watching the video as i did standing there watching on the bridge behind the rail that day .what an insperation you are to us all it was great jumping with you hope to see you again soon at the launch site maybe bridge day awsome job dude .
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

prety cool!!:o

I just got a question
how to deal with a line twist??
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Climb above the twists, pull down some lines to get the canopy flying towards the water and....sploosh! Sounds easy but I'm sure it'll be hard to do if the need arises.