BASE813

SL v Freefall

Would you, given the choice, opt for a vented canopy for a low SL or would it not be a factor you would consider relevant AT ALL.

I'd take the vents. When things get that low, I'll take every little edge I can, even if it's only psychological.

Discounting beach/very soft mud landings, what is your hard deck for repeatable SL jumps over hard ground???

It's going to be very different for different people. When you're down to those heights, differences in altitude, jumper's weight, launch technique, and canopy type can start to look pretty significant. In particular, I think people tend to underestimate the influence of body weight (regardless of wingloading, it's just going to take longer to slow down a heavier person) and launch technique (a hard launch can leave you still doing a pendulum swing when you hit the ground).

The absolute hard deck for a very light person, under ideal conditions, with perfect skills and a high risk tolerance? Maybe 60 feet? But for me, with my weight, my gear, and my skills? More like 100 feet.

I guess my point is that you ought to work down to find your own personal hard deck. Just saying "well, I saw the video of a guy doing a 63 foot jump" does _not_ mean that I, under my gear, even under ideal conditions, could repeat the jump. There are some things that just aren't equal between jumpers. Good judgment means figuring out what those things are for you, and playing within your own personal limits.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Easily had time to get the toggles off and a nice flare, so I will definitely go lower,

Ah, obviously more testing required here then... let us know when you struggled in a blind panic to get the toggles off and only partially flared before piling in.

:D:P
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I think you should have to freefall and SL every object to get your number.

Actualy i follow you on that one,but i think mastering slider ups also should be consideret.I like to think at the BASE#s as telling how long a person has been to the sport and how experienced he should be,but at buttomline you cant see anything from thouse #s... should we stop them?heck no,i think its great to have some history in the sport,but the #s them self you cant really use to anything besides estimate how long a person has survived in BASEworld..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

S/L, or even DB, will always have a place (BR’s Super Bowl jumps) in the sport, and will always be a tool in the arsenal of the most serious BASE jumpers. However, a scan of the BASE fatality list will show this is nothing to fool around with, unless you know what you are doing.

You can never have enough tools. :)
IMO... any way you jump off a fixed object with a parachute and land it is a BASE jump.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

What's a blind panic??? You learn that on your FJC????;);)

I don't need no toggle fumble in order to pile in, mastered that one with a straight in approach into wind, both toggles in hands. To do this requires more than lack of skill, lack of judgement and lack of altitude.....it requires a lack of that special something extra.:P

I think you should have to freefall and SL every object to get your number.

Actualy i follow you on that one,but i think mastering slider ups also should be consideret..

It's good to master as many skills as you can.

However, the BASE numbers, as they exist, are an honored tradition, and an important link to our past. I believe they ought to stay the way they are. You have to jump from the four types of objects. Mostly, you get to decide if the objects qualify. You say you did it, and when, and you get a number. It's an honor system--and that's how I like it, personally.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I don't need no toggle fumble in order to pile in, mastered that one with a straight in approach into wind, both toggles in hands. To do this requires more than lack of skill, lack of judgement and lack of altitude.....

Your bath-avoidance techniques are almost as interesting to us as your desparate need for deodorant :P

....been there, done that.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

i like it aswell,dont misunderstand me,people just tend to focus on BASE#s to find out how experienced a jumper is,and you really cant tell..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

dont misunderstand me

I think that belongs in the quote of the year post. :ph34r:

I'm fucking winning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dont misunderstand me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that belongs in the quote of the year post. :ph34r:

okigonna pay a pint for that one,you just need to more your arse closer to me next time i visit;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

ok i gonna pay a pint for that one

I'll order then. ;)

I'm fucking winning

IMO, throw the technical bullshit aside. If you feel like you're falling before your canopy starts flying, it's a BASE jump. And if it's not. Who cares. It's still fun.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click