JohnnyUtah

Memorial Day Boogie (cross posted from the BASE Board)

Hey everybody going to the Memorial Day Boogie,
If you were there last year you know Don Mays put on a great cook out on Saturday. He is planning on doing it again this year and will also have a drawing for prizes, which are donated from various businesses in Twin Falls and also from BASE gear manufacturers.

During the same time, the Twin Falls community will be having a ceremony/festival for the presentation of a new statue of Ira Perrine, the rancher that moved to Idaho in 1883, who the Perrine Bridge is named after. There will be a lot of people there this year including IDOT (Idaho Dept of Transportation). Most of the community likes us but there are some folks in high places that are opposed to the BASE activities.

Don is asking a few things from the BASE jumpers. Be a good friendly example around the spectators (dont swear, dont be rude or crude, dont litter). Try to do your packing down at the bottom in the marina park. Please dont be reckless. No jumping off cliffs. Dont take too long of delays that you smack the water extra hard and get hurt. Dont try your first gainer or new aerials from this Bridge (486 feet is not that high). People have ended up in the hospital from the last two items mentioned and we really dont want all these spectators or IDOT to see the carnage of someone getting badly hurt or killed. Not to mention how bad it sucks for the BASE community when there is an incident.

Of course please follow the other rules of the Bridge that have been in place for a while now which are: no standing on the rail and no jumping from the steel.

I will be there all week and Marcia will be coming for the weekend. We look forward to seeing many friends again and also meeting some new people. :)
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

You mean I can't try that triple-twisting double reverse to a double front pike that I was planning on trying? DANG! :S

Seriously, thanks for the heads up. This is another opportunity for us to present ourselves in a good light to the general public. If we put a good foot forward, it might help open doors down the road. :)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Johnny,

Thanks for the posting. I'll pass the info along to the guys going up with me. We'll try to be on our best behavior.

Ganja

yahoo muff muff muff the muff brothers will be there for sure ,and looking for a good fun time and inducting a few new muff brothers . and yeah man i agree whole heartedly with johnny utah just be cool have fun be friendly and try to control the language around all the good folks who make us welcome in theyre town .all of you that know me know that there are quite a few words that i use a lot because to me they are not obcene, but i try to control myself around the good people of twin falls especially the kids . lets keep a good positive image while we are there as we have a lot of good folks there that really like us comeing to town so it would be a shame to ruin a good relationship the rules are easy and not hard to live with . i am looking forward to a fun time and seeing you all there as you all know its a great party ,so be friendly ,answer questions pick up our litter and any other stuff we see laying around ,and let them know we like comeing there and want to continue doing so AND above all be safe and have fun .hope to see you all there
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

If you do not recommend doing a first time gainer (or other aerial) off a 486 foot span, where do you recommend practicing these types of jumps?? Other than the 6 hours per year off the WV Bridge, what are the other options?
Party On!

...first time gainer...what are the other options?

Have you practiced off a diving board (into a swimming pool)?

I did my first aerials from terminal towers, where there was enough distance and airspeed that I could recover from virtually any flail.

I think the key is to do a lot of practice in a non-life threatening environment (like a swimming pool, trampoline, or diving harness).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Something high enough to gain enough airspeed to recover (800 feet or higher would be ideal). BD is a good place to try your first. Maybe a tall tower in the right wind conditions. 486 is not that high if you should have a problem.
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

486 is not that high if you should have a problem.

Johnny is totally right here. We see so many people coming out to Idaho and figuring "what the heck, it's a bridge, I'll try my first aerial..."

I can tell several horror stories about first aerials here, ranging from "can't believe I walked away" all the way up to helicopters and hearses.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My mentors were very much in agreement with Tom and Johnny on this issue.

I believe BaseRigger's exact words were "Don't let anybody talk you into anything stupid like trying your first gainer out there. 486 is too low for that."

Ganja

Good advices;

We're starting our road trip to potato land on Friday, we'll be there sporting Defiance containers, and doin our best to be such fine examples of the BASE community.

My first so it should be interesting. thx for all the info on the board.

----------------------------
bzzzz

R & S Bounceproof FJC will be at TF Mem Day providing QUALITY instruction on how to perform a gainer on your first BASE jump.

If this is more up your alley...forget Jimmy, Marty, Johnny, Robert or Anne....COME AND SEE US!

I did my first gainer at the Perrine at least years' boogie. HOWEVER, I spent the month prior pool training with that goal in mind. I did countless practice dives from a one-meter platform, one meter springboard and 3 meter springboard.

This included throwing in practice "pulls" when my body was in the proper orientation. When it came to to do it, I just focused on technique.

I'm not saying the Perrine is appropriate to just go and bust something new out. But I think it is a safe place to try something new IF you have pre-trained properly.

I have access to extremely tall towers and felt much more comfortable trying it off the bridge first.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

R & S Bounceproof FJC will be at TF Mem Day providing QUALITY instruction on how to perform a gainer on your first BASE jump.

If this is more up your alley...forget Jimmy, Marty, Johnny, Robert or Anne....COME AND SEE US!

Just the people I've been looking for. Would you mind if I did my gainer handheld? I'm not ready to go stowed.

On a side note, I'll be hooking three FLiKs to the BP Tri-NoPak and will perform the first Tard McUnder. Pretty soon, everyone will be throwing TMUs. Just remember where it all started. Damn, I'm new school.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Only if you route the bridle between your legs.

Is there any other way to route it?

Click

What Tom is referring to here is the famous "bridle between the legs gainer" gainer that Slim did several years ago. (it was intentional)

Slim was over the rail when a fellow jumper said "Hey mate -- wait a minute. Your bridle is misrouted!". Slim said "Thanks mate" and then proceeded to huck his meat from the bridge.

The resulting terrified look on all the jumper's faces was priceless.

:P

Bryan

HAHAHA!! Nice.

Click

Hey everybody, it's Thursday afternoon so some/most of you may already be on the way, but:

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

Be safe, have fun, and hopefully I'll see you all there next year!

Elvisio "takin' it slow" Rodriguez

Hey Tom, is that for real?
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Yup, I was there when Russel did it. That guy has alot of heart. It is just a reminder that the limitations one has are the those that one places.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

that guy just kick a s sB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey Tom, is that for real?

I saw him do 2!
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"