redtwiga

Custom Rigs for Women

I recently bought a custom Wings container. It fit great all around, except for the chest strap. It was about an inch too high, so it cut right across my breasts instead of tucking comfortably bellow them. Dave at Sunshine factory helped me out, I sent it back and in amazingly quick time the chest strap was lowered and I had my rig back.

Amazon mentioned a similar problem with an Infiniti in another thread. I'm curious if there is a manufacturer who now takes into account the fact that women have breasts and therefore another measurement to deal with when customizing a rig. If not why not?

It seems there are enough women in the sport now, that this should be standard. The distance from shoulder to breast should be measured to position the chest strap comfortably. Is there a reason this isn't the case?

I'm curious if there is a manufacturer who now takes into account the fact that women have breasts and therefore another measurement to deal with when customizing a rig. If not why not?

Just about all of them do. It's why they ask on the order form if you're male or female.

And I've heard differing opinions from women about where they want the chest strap to end up. Under, on and even over the top of the breast have all been answers. It's all about what you find comfortable.

If you don't like where it is on your rig, contact your dealer or manufacturer. They probably can solve the fit issue easily.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

***Just about all of them do. It's why they ask on the order form if you're male or female.

And I've heard differing opinions from women about where they want the chest strap to end up. Under, on and even over the top of the breast have all been answers. It's all about what you find comfortable.

If you don't like where it is on your rig, contact your dealer or manufacturer. They probably can solve the fit issue easily.

Asking if you're male or female doesn't really solve the problem. It doesn't give any indication of where one desires their chest strap to be. Sure women might want it in varying places, so perhaps a section on order forms can measure distance from shoulder to bottom of the breast, then ask if you prefer the strap to be above, on, or under the breasts. Seems like a simple thing to do to increase comfort for a large segment of the community.

Side note: I did send back my rig to have the strap lowered and it's now comfy and perfect. I got it in wonderful time and am very happy with it. I am suggesting a way I think manufacturers could improve their service for custom rigs.

I told Mirage I was female and specifically requested that they make it low... along with giving measurements. The chest strap is still too high. I think it might have something to do with the smallness of the harness though. I've learned to live with it but it would still be nice if it was lower.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/Kopko/Rantoul&image=rantoul_016.jpg&img=&tt=

with the chest strap acting as a wonder bra?

Um, I wish! It's more of a 'smoosh down' than 'push up' [:/]
Pink Mafia Sis #26

so perhaps a section on order forms can measure distance from shoulder to bottom of the breast, then ask if you prefer the strap to be above, on, or under the breasts. Seems like a simple thing to do to increase comfort for a large segment of the community.

I like the idea, but after measuring people for rigs and jumpsuits for the last 5 years, I'm going sugest that the addition of that measurement is only going to add problems due to incorect measurements. In addition the different body shapes and sizes are going to make that measurement next to useless based on how different people wear their rigs. (Some with the yoke higher or lower, ect.)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I told Mirage I was female and specifically requested that they make it low... along with giving measurements. The chest strap is still too high. I think it might have something to do with the smallness of the harness though. I've learned to live with it but it would still be nice if it was lower.

A lot of times on shorter harnesses if the chest strap is low enough to go under your "curves", there is no room left for your handls. Especially if the harness is articulated. Sun path has a mini sized d-ring to accomodate this, but even so, sometimes there just isn't enough room.

My G4 goes right across mine too. :S The only time I had a rig that gave me the wonder bra effect was when the entire container was big, and the harness was too long. Looked good on the ground and in the plane, but sucked under canopy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

A lot of times on shorter harnesses if the chest strap is low enough to go under your "curves", there is no room left for your handls. Especially if the harness is articulated. Sun path has a mini sized d-ring to accomodate this, but even so, sometimes there just isn't enough room.

My G4 goes right across mine too. :S The only time I had a rig that gave me the wonder bra effect was when the entire container was big, and the harness was too long. Looked good on the ground and in the plane, but sucked under canopy.

Actually, my G3 is articulated. And coincidentally, my very first container's chest strap was perfect. It was a dolphin.. and the harness was too big.

:S
Pink Mafia Sis #26

Not being a woman, I can't claim to speak intelligently about this subject, but I do have first hand accounts (2 of them) of women with their chest straps fit snugly under their breasts having major damage done on hard openings. One of them, if I'm not mistaken, almost had surgery to reattach tissue internally.

They were both well endowed, so I'm sure this had something to do with it, but think about it before you put the boys in harm's way!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Asking if you're male or female doesn't really solve the problem. It doesn't give any indication of where one desires their chest strap to be. Sure women might want it in varying places, so perhaps a section on order forms can measure distance from shoulder to bottom of the breast, then ask if you prefer the strap to be above, on, or under the breasts. Seems like a simple thing to do to increase comfort for a large segment of the community.

Side note: I did send back my rig to have the strap lowered and it's now comfy and perfect. I got it in wonderful time and am very happy with it. I am suggesting a way I think manufacturers could improve their service for custom rigs.

I have noticed that most order forms have a comments section. Maybe that is a good place to put all these things.

However it is a better idea to have an explicit question. That way people don't forget.

Not being a woman, I can't claim to speak intelligently about this subject, but I do have first hand accounts (2 of them) of women with their chest straps fit snugly under their breasts having major damage done on hard openings. One of them, if I'm not mistaken, almost had surgery to reattach tissue internally.

They were both well endowed, so I'm sure this had something to do with it, but think about it before you put the boys in harm's way!

I want names! And I want to see the scars! Seriously though. Really? Were they natural or store bought?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Ok I guess I could provide a picture.

I specifically went with Infinity because I knew I was going to have a fit issue. The Infinity student rigs I wore when I came back to the sport ate my lunch on every opening. The chest strap was across my breasts and gave me huge bruises. This was also the case with a backup rig I bought. It was a 10 year old Javelin with the typical high chest strap ( AmazonKapowsin photo) I talked with KellyF and we came up with a workable solution with the chest strap and the cutaway/reserve pillows. ( and YES I can see them there next to my breasts.. that is why I like to make sure they are out as in the picture so I can see my pillows and not have them hiding under my breasts)

If you look at the bellyband picture you will see the placement of the pillows. The velcro fits into little pouches and sits on top of the chest strap. Because of the placement they can NOT be turned under the Main lift Web as some people are afraid of.

Kelly said if I ever wanted to go to Silver handles we would have some other issues to insure misrouting of the chest strap could NOT occur.

Now I do now know how this would be handled in a much smaller rig. My Infinity is one of the largest ones ever made. I am old and decrepit and like my nice BIG canopys.

I can only suggest voicing your concerns with the manufacturer when you order the rig. ITs your money you are spending.. its YOUR comfort that you are buying a custom built harness for.
I for one love mine.. it fits ME.
Some have voiced concerns about the chest strap riding up during opening. I tighten my leg straps very tight and have NEVER had the chest strap move up.

Your best bet is talking to woman who has plenty of experience at fitting harnesses to a variety of different sizes and shapes of women

I guess one of the points I'm trying to make here is that it shouldn't be marginalized to the point where a woman ordering a rig must remember to go out of her way to bring up this topic.

It's not like having a physical difference that you must specifically, individually deal with. All women have breasts, regardless of size or positioning, so, regardless of the extra time it would take, custom rigs should take that into account.

Really? Were they natural or store bought?

Natural, as far as I know. One of them used to jump up in Chico...I think her name is Sharron, but I don't know for sure. The second was a women down in Perris...about 6 years ago or so. I was down there and heard a bunch of commotion. Naturally, I went to stick my nose in it... Not pretty.

I think she was European, on holiday. Sorry I can't do better than that... I think the biggest problem was the positioning and how tight they had the chest strap, not to mention a harness that was too big for them...

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."