helldog

Where to wear a Hook knife

With this question you'll get a different answer for each person. I personally wear one on my legstrap. The other place I like to have it is under the mudflap of the vertical lift-web. (I have two) The best answer is wear it in the same place every jump and where you know you'll be able to get to it no matter the circumstance. Make sure it's very secure in the pocket and location that you choose.
D

I have mine on the right legstrap, but as koz2000 said, different people, different answers. But no matter where you put yours, it might be good to do some "practice pulls" with it. It might sound excessive, but when I first tried it I discovered I can be extremely clumsy with the knife, especially when wearing gloves.

I'm looking for some input on what would be the best place to position a hook knife on my rig. (ah chrismas and all the little goodies it bringsB|)
Blue ones
Jim

Make sure you have something other than a "Zak" knife. Put it where you can reach it with easily with either hand. Remember, you cannot bend over while hanging in a harness.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If you're wearing only one - it really should be some place you can reach with both hands. Chest strap or either mud flap springs to mind, keep them in the same place each dive, and practice getting it out S-L-O-W-L-Y. That way you stand less chance of throwing it away...

An Orange plastic "Zak" knife is not a hook knife. Go blow $4 one day and slash at some old shoelaces with one. My bet is it will break. (And you may cut yourself.) They were made for gutting trout, not skydiving. (They beat cutting a static line with a pair of nail clippers.. but that's a different story..)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I have the same as firediver but a couple of point to note:
1: Have them available for each hand (one left one right), just in case one hand is incapacitated.
2: If on the top half of your rig mount it so you pull it down to remove it. If it's on the bottom half of your rig/jumpsuit mount it so you pull up to remove it.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Im currently temporarily using one on my chest strap but when I get back to a loft Im having my

aluminium one installed on my left mud flap pulling down to access (left side/high)

and my Benchmade 5 on my right legstrap pulling up and back to access (rightside/low)

I have a Jack the Ripper on the right side webbing of my harness (next to the cut away handle) & another Jack the Ripper in a pouch sewn onto my jump pants. Whereever you put yours, a good idea is to connect the knife to the pouch with a length of waxed thread (longer than your reach), so that if you drop the knife when you need it, it can easily be recovered and used. Definitely get & wear a knife; I know of a fatality that could have been avoided had the jumper had a knife (that incident alone made me carry one):(.

I just looked at your profile; if you do CRW, hook knives are mandatory. Do leave home without it.

Whereever you put yours, a good idea is to connect the knife to the pouch with a length of waxed thread (longer than your reach), so that if you drop the knife when you need it, it can easily be recovered and used

I know of at least on fatality caused by having the hook knife tied on with a lanyard. Do not tie anything to you or your rig!:P
Sparky

If you must put it on a leg strap, don't put it on your right side. The motion of reaching and deploying can dislodge the hook knife with bad results. I have personally witnessed a friend deploy his hook knife into the lines of his main. It cut two of them. The reserve ride was uneventful but the video was pretty cool in frame by frame.

>I know of at least on fatality caused by having the hook knife tied on with a lanyard. Do not tie anything to you or your rig!
Sparky

Details, please.

His name was Eddy L. at Perris in 1978. He had a hook knife mounted on his main lift web and tied with 3/4 foot piece of flat braid. It came out during freefall and was trailing behind him. It trapped his main on deployment and that mess trapped his reserve. If you are worried about dropping your hook knife carry 2 or 3 or 4, but don't tie them to you or your rig.
Sparky

Sorry about Eddie. Since I don't do much RW, I'm not too worried about it coming out in freefall. To tell the truth though, I can't take credit for this trick. Dave DeWolf (D-1098, 11,000+ jumps, senior rigger instructor/examiner, and all-round Handsome guy) showed me this idea. With all due respect, I still think its a good idea, but reasonable people will differ.

I asked a few very knowledgeable persons/riggers for suggestions for hook knives and placements. Then, I had my rigger attach my hook knife to one of my rig's mudflaps (by a snap), so I could reach it easily if the need ever arose. Visit your rigger with your hookknife and your rig and ask him this same question.

Sorry about Eddie. Since I don't do much RW, I'm not too worried about it coming out in freefall. To tell the truth though, I can't take credit for this trick. Dave DeWolf (D-1098, 11,000+ jumps, senior rigger instructor/examiner, and all-round Handsome guy) showed me this idea. With all due respect, I still think its a good idea, but reasonable people will differ.

I think we can both agree to disagree, seeing how we are both reasonable people.B|
Sparky

I have mounted many hook knives for people over the years. My recommendation on placement is always where it feels the most comfortable and allows the easiest access. If you have ever had lines wrapped around you will understand the need to keep the knife where you can see it, even if you are all tied up. Behind the mud flap mounting is my first choice. Remember you do not have to be a CreW dog to get wrapped, canopy collisions can and do occur.

A few precautions with mud flap mounting: You have to be careful as not to allow your knife to be mounted where the tip of the knife protrudes too close to the three rings (This problem is only relevant with rigs that have a short mud flap). They can interfere with a cutaway. Be sure to get help with this from your rigger.

Another thing you may think about is protecting your gear by having your rigger make a pouch that fits inside your mud flap. Here are a few reasons: Your mud flap can be sliced when you pull out your knife. In the event you rip the knife out and you have soft housings they can be severed thus not allowing you to cut away. Another thing to watch out for is your main lift web can work its way behind the knife blade (depending on how much room you have inside your mud flap, and how you handle your gear) you can find yourself in serious trouble. I am not trying to scare you just to make you aware of what can happen so you can avoid those situations. Just some things to check...

As for a lanyard, IMHO just say NO. If you think you are going to drop your knife get two, three or what ever makes you feel comfortable. You can introduce more problems than it’s worth, and hook knives are cheap.

Just my two cents…;)

Remember also that if the line serves it purpose, and allows recovery of the knife, that you will be pulling a hooked blade towards you - probably across your harness at some point. A second knife will be available sooner, and safer than the 1st recovered in this manner.

I must agree with the sentiment that tieing things to yourself or your harness is silly.

First, if you have one knife, don't drop it.
Second, if you do, use the next one.

The question, "Why do you have 4 hook knives!?!"

can best be answered "Cos I couldn't find place for a 5th.."

t
It's the year of the Pig.