weegegirl

First Jump Courses

I've seen some reviewed here and there. Does anybody know of a place where they have reviewed all first jump courses? Are they all more or less the same? Are there any to be avoided?

Thinking about taking one sometime early next season. Any inside info I could get would be helpful.

Thanks,
Liz

Just type FJC in the site search engine and specify the BASE forum, there are loads of em.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Yeah, I know. I did that and got a lot of great info from people like Skreamer, describing his FJC experience. I guess I was kind of hoping to have some sort of comparison where they were all reviewed together. Guess not. :S It's cool. ;)

Try the BLiNC First Jump Course reviews.

My personal preference would be to take the FJC from Consolidated Rigging, and have your mentor from home meet you at the bridge for several more days worth of jumps to get everything refined and practiced. I say this because the CR course appears (to me) to be the most comprehensive in theoretical material, but a bit lighter than the others on the jumping. This is easy to remedy by having a few extra days and a mentor on hand, so that you can get the best of both worlds (good classroom instruction and good practice).

If you (or your mentor) don't have the time (you do have a mentor at home, right?), I'd consider either the Morpheus or Basic Research courses, which will give you (slightly) more practical experience, but a (slightly) less solid theoretical grounding.

In some cases, you might choose a particular FJC for other reasons. These include establishing a relationship with a manufacturer close to you (not really valid in your case), or getting a discount on the particular gear you want to purchase.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Lonnie of team FX also teaches a FJC a few times a year...no cushy bridges to jump around here so you're learnin off an A.

Although Lonnie is probably the hardest BASE jumper on earth (does he ever sleep?), I wouldn't recommend learning off anything but a cushy bridge. You just never know what's going to happen on that first jump, and if you happen to be the 1 person in 20 who freaks out and freezes, you're going to be really glad you've got a big, slow, soft river under you.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Did my 1st at Perrine (a PCA by Jimmy P), after 9 off Perrine and a broken ankle I started jumpin A's with Lonnie & posse...although that river could hurt too, just looking at the cold, hard Canadian soil almost took me out of the game....

agreed, cushy river is definitely the place to start and shake out the fears if you can swing the trip to TF..........but jumpin with Lonnie gonna put hair on your chest and you're gonna grow a big pair.

(no Lonnie doesn't sleep)

I took the CR FJC and had a couple of issues with it but all in all a very well structured course. I am glad I went on it. My friend took the Morpheus fjc (florida stylie) and after some discussion with him I would have prefered the morpheus course. My reasoning on this is that they cover the detail as well as CR but the jumping environment is more in tune in what to expect once you are out and about jumping (especially in the UK) - its all very well making a bunch of jumps off a legal span with tourists watching you and asking questions with a boat under you with an experienced and down right great guy as basically groundcrew - but it does not prepare you for the cold dark lonely nights sneaking around and making jumps - i know of one guy who did the legal span FJC and enjoyed it but when he got home and tried to make some normal jumps decided that it was not for him. My first jump after the course on what is now my local A was one of the most intense times - my first night jump, my first A and my first sneaky beaky jump - it throws a different aspect into the equation. I beleive the Morpheus course (from second hand info) introduces you partly to the different objects / different heights and different exit postitions and the sneaky shit - in my humble opinion this is more beneficial.

I know that its benefical also to make your first jumps in a relaxed atmosphere coz it takes away some of the other shit you have to deal with and you can get into that under your own steam - but this is BASE jumping and its never easy........

just my 2 glugs worth..........

Michael

My first jump after the course on what is now my local A was one of the most intense times - my first night jump

Might somthing thouse who makes FJC could use.. can´t belive it would be tough to make some night jumps on such a course...

My first jump in dark were also a BASE,this winter im going to try it from a plane:o:S

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Liz

PM me with you email addie so I can send you stuff...

Skypuppy
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Hi,

I posted a review of sorts of Vertigo's First Jump Course a while back. That thread is here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=530924;#530924.

I would highly recommend anyone wanting to get started in BASE jumping to do it right, and to check into Vertigo's FJC... The staff at Vertigo is more than friendly, knowledgable, experienced, and helpful. They far exceeded my expectations in almost every way. They went beyond helping me learn to base jump as safely as possible by setting me up with some of my local jumpers. Jimmy and Marta will help you feel comfortable and will treat you like a friend. While they have every reason to act like they're the shizniz, they don't - quite the opposite.

I know there's a lot of FJC's out there these days, and I can understand how it may look like they "are all more or less the same", but in my opinion, they are NOT all the same. Research your instructors, call them and talk to them, and I think you'll find Vertigo a very good choice.

Just my biased 2 cents.

Good luck, happy hummin...

CP

Hi, I was in the same position you are in, a few months ago. I spent a considerable amount of time researching and talking to very experienced BASE jumpers who are friends of mine. My conclusion was that they were not necessarily the best teachers. Teaching is a whole different set of skills...after much digging and references, I came across Vertigo BASE Outfitters (www.vertigobase.com) from Moab, Utah. I liked their style in the sense that they encouraged me to gather as much information as possible and to make my own decision (no business cards or selling attempts at all), very professional. I researched Marta Empinotti and the articles about her life, and watched the documentary BASE Climb 2(http://www.baseclimb.com/Latest_News.htm). I was very impressed to say the least, and decided to go with them. The course is taught at the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho. It is very comprehensive, you are sent a packing tape beforehand. I also did about 20 hop/pops on a BASE canopy (fitted into my skydiving rig) before heading out there. This helped me out TREMENDOUSLY. The oral/written part of the course takes place on Friday. Saturday morning is your first BASE jump...a PCA (done by Jimmy Pouchert in my case). Having Marta and Jimmy watching and assessing your progress (from exit to landing, to packing) made such a difference, it really made it possible for me to accomplish my goal. I then did 3 more hand held jumps. We reviewed the day, and hit it again on Sunday. Sunday afternoon, I was on my way back home, quite satisfied and fullfilled. The course is very well structured, and the people are incredible (my fellow classmates as well!).

Jorge Linares
[email protected]

a couple of years ago i decided to take up basejumping but i had no idea what was involved with the fjc's and let alone who to get to teach me.after i researched a few places a friend of mine introduced me to johnny utah and after talking to him for a while i signed up for his base camp out at the perrine bridge. the course was packed with a wealth of VALUABLE information that has saved my life twice on some pretty close calls.he is very resonable with his pricing and you get a lot of one on one working time with him,video debriefs,lots of jumps,and you will leave there with alot of base knowledge.

B| jason kennon
big country
base998

How can I contact Jhonny Utah? I heard good things about him , and his courses

try this thread

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

I took my fjc through Johnny Utah about a year and a half ago. The 5 day course took place in Twin Falls, Idaho, at the Perrine Bridge. The pricing was very reasonable for the amount of knowledge he has to offer. He is very maticulas in his teaching methods which made me feel more than confident to make my first jump. After a week of jumping I left with 16 jumps, a wealth of knowledge , and alot of new friends. I definitely recommend Johnny for your fjc.Have fun!!! For more info you can contact me at [email protected]