LouYoung

When to start looking for contacts/mentors?

I've been a skydiver for a number of years, but not a lot of jumps. From the get-go, I've always been interested in BASE.

I just recently started jumping again and have never been so serious about it (having a good job and available cash hasn't hurt one bit). I'm hoping to jump my ass off from planes all winter and then take a FJC for BASE in the spring.

Is it too early to start looking for contacts and maybe start doing some ground crew? I'm worried that if I start too early that I might not be able to ignore the itch and I don't want to rush the jump before I've learned enough.

I'm guessing Phoenix (AZ at least) is chock full o' BASE jumpers but I've never actually met one, as far as I know anyway. When I was skydiving in '94-'95 there were some guys at my DZ showing some video from one of their BASE trips and all the non-BASE jumpers in the area were pushing me away, telling me not to watch those crazies and "don't even think about ever doing that!"

So what's the verdict, should I put the word out now or a few months before the FJC?

Lou

IMHO, wait closer to the FJC. If you aren't hearing talk of BASE at the DZ, then those are maybe some smart BASE jumpers. The sports don't like to be confused with eachother, for good reason. Tread smartly, like you are right now, and you'll probably have a blast. The cool saying goes, "You don't choose BASE, it chooses you".
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

So what's the verdict, should I put the word out now or a few months before the FJC?

Hi Lou, first of all, don't be surprised if you hear nothing at first, unlike yourself, I've only been skydiving for less than two years, and only then in small bursts at a time.

When I started reading these boards, I used to go (still do sometimes) straight to 'talk-back' and maybe 'gear & rigging' or 'safety & training' ... you know.. the usual haunts, I find I start in here now and work my way around to the other forums, I think I'm scared to miss anything new or current, and if I'm unsure about something, I'll be searching until I have (at least) a grasp of what's being discussed, I do fuck up now and again too, asking stupid questions and not reading up enough before firing up my wrist... but that's just me.

My point is.. that there is SO much to take in, that I think it would worry most BASE jumpers (even before GC'ing came along) if you didn't have a basic foundation of knowledge on the sport, and I can understand this completely, IMO I would be a liability.. as to when I would stop being one... I can't answer that, but what I do understand though, is nobody wants any more on their plate. ;)

I'm as green, as green can be, and in the light of recent events, I have started to question myself and my motives as to why I would want to BASE jump, fortunately its something that makes my piss itch and even if I only do it once, I just have to do it.

So in a nutshell, get reading, and I'm not trying to be condescending or saying I have anymore knowledge than the average joe, (you probably read up more than me) but I have found that the more you know, the more chance you have of holding a longer conversation with a BASE jumper, and maybe at least letting them know that your a potential patsy. ;)

Or you could be an irritating fuck like me, and spam every board worldwide. B|

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Oh yeah, I'm reading all right. My boss would be pissed. ;)

If fact, in late 2001 I started reading blincmagazine.com every day for a few months (until my other hobbies de-railed the effort). I didn't even know dropzone.com existed (if it even did at that time). I think I've read every article in the KnowledgeBASE.

And I'm planning on spending the majority of my plane jumps practicing skills that might make me a better BASE jumper - lots of canopy drills and a bunch of tracking practice. Going to try to get in some still air jumps at the Holiday Boogie if there's a balloon available.

At some point, I need to feel what it's like to be in the scene and know what it's like at jump time, even if it's from the bottom of the object.

Lou

when the time is right - it just all falls into place..........

So true that it finds you and not you find it............

Just be patient............. one day it will just happen.........

be safe always

:P

Flick like fuck and fuck like on video!

Spend more time at the DZ and you will be sure to meet BASE jumpers. Fact is, if your only priority in skydiving is to get 150 jumps so that you can do a FJC you won't meet many BASE jumpers through skydiving. If you wait a bit longer not only will you get experience in skydiving (canopy control and dealing with shit) but you'll probably make some contacts at the DZ.

A general observation : it appears that it is often people with very few skydives (150 - 200) who do a FJC and then subsequently come on the internet looking for a mentor. I don't think the internet is the place to look for a mentor, the dropzone is a good place to start (which means spending some time there).

Will

Spend more time at the DZ and you will be sure to meet BASE jumpers.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I know of many cases in which a new BASE jumper (less than 50 jumps) became a BASE instructor because they were the "only BASE jumper around (i.e. at a specific DZ)." In all of these cases (I can think of around eight off the top of my head), the DZ in question was within 100 miles of multiple BASE jumpers with over 500 jumps. It seemed like the "no one at the DZ" excuse was just that--an excuse for being too shy (or lazy) to find the (easily locatable via web searches) experienced BASE jumpers in the area.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I know of many cases in which a new BASE jumper (less than 50 jumps) became a BASE instructor because they were the "only BASE jumper around (i.e. at a specific DZ)." In all of these cases (I can think of around eight off the top of my head), the DZ in question was within 100 miles of multiple BASE jumpers with over 500 jumps.

I don't who I'd blame more, the person looking for the mentor, or the low-number jumper deciding he is "ready" to be a mentor. The "mentor" should well be aware of the up-jumpers and direct the prospects in their direction.

Taking on a student is an incredible responsibility. You literally are taking someone else's life into your hands. I know I'm several hundred jumps away from being even remotely qualified to do something like that, and even at that point I don't know if I will.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I don't who I'd blame more, the person looking for the mentor, or the low-number jumper deciding he is "ready" to be a mentor.

I know who I'd blame--the "mentor".

My post was more meant as a warning to prospective students to check the qualifications of their mentor, and not settle for an unqualified one simply because they "couldn't" (usually this means they are not willing to do the work) find a more qualified jumper.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I agree, my point is just that the dropzone is a good place to start meeting other BASE jumpers. Definitely not the only place but a good place to start. Where did you first meet Bryan (bps)?

Will

I agree, my point is just that the dropzone is a good place to start meeting other BASE jumpers. Definitely not the only place but a good place to start. Where did you first meet Bryan (bps)?

Ah. You've made my point. When I first met bps at the dropzone I learned at, he had less than 100 BASE jumps, and was instructing BASE students.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

And my point is that the dropzone is a good place to start looking. I never said it was the only place. Also, the onus does rest on the newbie to use some common sense in who they choose as a mentor.

Personally I wouldn't feel happy trusting my life to some stranger that I found on the internet. The closest I've come to that is the BR FJC. It is reassuring that the people I jump with and learn from I already knew from skydiving. But that is just me, YMMV.

Will

And my point is that the dropzone is a good place to start looking. I never said it was the only place. Also, the onus does rest on the newbie to use some common sense in who they choose as a mentor.

Personally I wouldn't feel happy trusting my life to some stranger that I found on the internet. The closest I've come to that is the BR FJC. It is reassuring that the people I jump with and learn from I already knew from skydiving. But that is just me, YMMV.

Will

I guess it's always going to take a little effort to find suitable people - especially in a sport which is as close-knit as BASE.

Not many people are listed in the phone book under "mentor" - and even when you find someone who is experienced enough, you will then have to prove to them that you are dedicated enough and that you have the right skills and are the right sort of person that they should invest THEIR TIME and EFFORT in YOU !!!

I know it will take me time and effort to find a suitable mentor, and until one is found, I will continue to practise my canopy control / tracking etc ...

I just hope I find one before they run out of #'s :P

you will then have to prove to them that you are dedicated enough and that you have the right skills and are the right sort of person that they should invest THEIR TIME and EFFORT in YOU !!!

Also called Ground Crew;)even as it means tha´t you will look like shit the next day,then you might learn somthing on that crew..
Also skydivers tend to say ok ill be there,just to find out that they burn you off,belive me. when i(one day)has the skills to be mentor,then such people aint going whith me for sure.. i need complete trust...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

In my opinion, earlier is better to start looking for mentors. If you have a good relationship with a mentor (or just with your local jumping community in general) early in the process, it's easier to get them to help you straight away after your FJC.

One of the most useful things you can do is have them meet you at the FJC object immediately after your FJC, and spend a few days there making as many jumps as possible. This will dial in your awareness and solidify your skills. Of course, if you wait until after the FJC to find them, this is impossible. The earlier you meet and make friends with them, the more likely it is that they will be willing to take a couple days and meet you out there.

Is it too early to start looking for contacts and maybe start doing some ground crew? I'm worried that if I start too early that I might not be able to ignore the itch and I don't want to rush the jump before I've learned enough.

It's never too early, so long as you don't succumb to the urge to just go jump before you've gotten any training.

I'm guessing Phoenix (AZ at least) is chock full o' BASE jumpers but I've never actually met one, as far as I know anyway.

Yes, it is. PM me if you can't find them, and I'll see if I can put you in touch.

I'd say you ought to start looking now. The only reason not to is to avoid temptation for yourself. That shouldn't be too hard if you have a plan, and you tell it to them straight away.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com