ifics

Thinking about getting a Merlin suit...

I bought one suit but I am about to sell it, I don't like it. I have decided to go with Merlin suits, to those that have one how long was the wait? I am thinking about getting just some FF pants because its SO hot here during the summer, I have yet to decide. So my question is how long is the wait?

Do a search in the RW forum, I started a thread a while back dealing with different suits, there were a lot of good opinions in that thread.

I ended up getting a Bev Suit and I couldn't be happier.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Merlin Suits. Expect to wait a lifetime if your experience is like mine. I ordered mine in November 2002, recieved them mid March 2003. Then I had to send them back in early June for some minor alterations and I didn't get them back until August.:S This was also after numerous emails and many calls. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with the customer service and I won't be a return customer.

However, I must admit the quality of my freefly pants are excellent. Excellent workmanship. But I guess that is to expected when it takes them 5 months to make them and then 3 months to alter them.:|:S[:/]

Then I had to send them back in early June for some minor alterations and I didn't get them back until August.:S This was also after numerous emails and many calls.

I sent my Merlin suit back for a minor alteration in November of 2002. After several phone calls, emails, and 2 in-person visits, I finally got it back the next March. And everything that was supposed to be fixed was not fixed. I like my suit but the customer service is so poor that I will not be a return customer either.

On the other hand, I have always gotten excellent suits with amazing customer service from Bev.

like my suit but the customer service is so poor that I will not be a return customer either.

I on the other hand have had excellent experiences with both the suits and the customer service. They ended up making my suit for me in 2.5 days (talk about a rush order) and everything was perfect. Since then I have put about 300 jumps on it and about 12 hours in the tunnel and it has held up great - the tunnel is known to destroy suits.

I've had a few very minor things I've needed fixed and their customer service was great. I brought the suit in and everything was done within 10 minutes for free. I highly recommend Merlin Suits.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

If you are looking for quality of workmanship AND great customer service, talk to Jim at Body Sport USA.

He has been great to work with, extremely helpful, and its obvious that his main concern is that I come away a satisfied customer. I have some special requirements that
are not dealt with in a stock suit design (see thread Falling too fast) and he took extra time to find out my exact needs and gave me an awesome price.

I WILL do business with them again and I highly recommend them. B|

I've had a few very minor things I've needed fixed and their customer service was great. I brought the suit in and everything was done within 10 minutes for free.

Their customer service is fine if you live in the area and can physically stop by. But when you want something via mail, it takes months. I mentioned my 4 month wait for a minor fix earlier. She hadn't even touched it until March when I stopped by again, then she did it in a few minutes and handed it right back. So if you're in the area, it is easy to get things fixed.

I have both a Merlin camerasuit, and a Merlin freefly suit. THe quality is excellent, but the turn-around time in getting them was pathetic. I will not get another, unless I have guaranteed delivery dates, with penalties for being late.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hi,

I brought a Merlin Freefly Suit from Christine who runs Merlin. She was great and the end product was very acceptable. I have now placed another order for a Relative Suit (with booties, etc) as I am still at SkyDive DeLand until the end of Jan, by which time it will be ready for collection. It seems that if you are 'local' when placing the order, you get a personable service and delivery times are a few weeks or more. I cannot comment on the Customer experience for anyone relying on the mail service to send and receive Merlin Suits. People do respond differently if you visit them in person, but I appreciate for overseas customers, that is not an option!

I hope this helps you...
Dave.
My favourite saying is under construction...

I have two merlin RW suits (one comp, one Procomp)and one Merlin FF suit.
I have just ordered another Merling RW suit.
I have lots of jumps on the suits, and they are still in great condition. The FF suit is getting a bit worn due to contact with the velcro at the ankles, and the procomp suit (newest RW suit) has a couple holes that just developed in one bootie sole (I'll fix it soon).
My past experience with them is so-so. The RW suits were quite late, and I heard lots of excuses. They did get to me by my final deadline, and Christine went quite out of the way on the FF suit to make up for the RW suit delays.
I wish the other purchases were a better experience, but the suits are tops, and I just ordered a new procomp from her. customer service in skydiving generally sucks, get used to it.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Sometimes quality is worth the wait. I've had my freefly suit for almost 2 years now and it is still holding up great even through repeated washings. The colors are holding up well also and the fit is fantastic.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

customer service in skydiving generally sucks, get used to it.

Funny, I have had the exact opposite experience.
Compared to the world at large I have found most gear dealers try very hard to please the customer.

We are, after all, a relatively small market. They need to keep our business to stay in business.

I have made purchases through several different dealers of various types of equipment and I have found them all to be far more helpful and concerned for my satisfaction than any other industry.

Thats not to say that there are never problems, delays, etc. You have this everywhere. Its how these things are dealt with that is a good measure of how customer oriented a business is.