Perche61

How do you torque PD french links for installing reserves on risers?

I'm not a rigger, but my guess is that's a way of putting the correct amount of torque without using a torque wrench. If you've got a torque wrench, it doesn't matter how much weight you apply or where you apply it, as long as it produces the correct torque.

Dave

This is copied from the PD reserve manual, page 31:

Immediately tighten finger tight and torque to 20 inch/lbs. To accurately gauge this, place a 5 lb weight on a wrench, 6 inches from the link. When the wrench is hrizontal and the barrel no longer turns, the link is fully tightened. Do not tighten more than 30 inch/lbs.

There is no mention of the weight required to exceed 30 inch/lbs, actually the FAA which riggers are licensed by and are required by law to abide by, require torquing to be done by a torque wrench that is calibrated by an FAA certified or recognized lab within the last year. How many riggers have a calibrated torque wrench capable to accurately torque 20 inch/lbs that has been certified by the FAA within the last 365 days?

"To install the Rapide link, twist the barrel on until hand-tight and then add 1/4 turn with a wrench (for five inch-pounds of torque)." PPM, Vol. II, page 108.
And yes, there are open end wrench attachments for torque wrenches.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I was always taught that Pointer's manuals are considered by the FAA to be "Gospel", if you will, in the absence of the actual manufacturer's manual. There is no absence of a PD manual. If anyone here has a question if the finger tight plus 1/2 or 1/4 turn is the correct way or the Performance Designs Manual which calls for the correct torque which "they" (Performance Designs) mandate, then maybe Performance Designs should actually set us all straight. I myself think it should be an FAA certified torque wrench using a crows foot attachment, then again that's just me. Ask PD how they expect us, in the field, to properly torque their french links.

I was always taught that Pointer's manuals are considered by the FAA to be "Gospel", if you will, in the absence of the actual manufacturer's manual. There is no absence of a PD manual. If anyone here has a question if the finger tight plus 1/2 or 1/4 turn is the correct way or the Performance Designs Manual which calls for the correct torque which "they" (Performance Designs) mandate, then maybe Performance Designs should actually set us all straight. I myself think it should be an FAA certified torque wrench using a crows foot attachment, then again that's just me. Ask PD how they expect us, in the field, to properly torque their french links.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Poynter's manuals are general guides.
If you want specific information about a specific product, then consult the manual published by that manufacturer (i.e. Performance Designs).

Aren't the links part of the H/C?

Shouldn't the links have guidelines from the mfg. of the link? The H/C mfg should use their recommendation as a guideline, don't you think?

Torque wrenches are used with open end attachments, just takes a little math to adjust the values used, I've seen a torque wrench manual that showed how to do it.

Isn't the greater danger from overtightening them and cracking the barrel? Don't you think this is how most of the opened-up link incidents happen?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil,

You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
"Finger tight plus a quarter turn" is a close approximation of the official torque value for Maillon Rapide connector links.
It is a simplified "hand-draulic" method of measuring torque that works well 98% of the time.
With practice, any decent technician can get within 5% of official torque using his "calibrated elbow."

The only people who crack Maillon Rapide links are people not bright enough to understand "finger tight plus a quarter turn." Asking them use a complicated torque wrench is only asking for more trouble.