EddyS

What's in a number?

Getting each of the four object types jumped as soon as possible and registering for my number was never a "mission" for me. Not something I was desperate to complete. However, I very quickly only needed a B to join the list, and my mentor told me that "buildings come along", so I was happy to wait.

Having nailed my first B recently I wrote my letter and waited the prescribed 4 weeks for processing - a very fair way to deal with things IMHO.

And so my number may not be that memorable to anyone but myself - or mean that much to anyone outside our circle, but I am very proud to join the 801 on the list before me (especially #475 my mentor) and all those to follow (especially #803 my study buddy - with me every step of the way).

So I just wanted to thank you all for despite BASE being the most selfish act I commit (almost ;)) it is the community and camaraderie of BASE jumpers that makes 802 mean what it does to me.

BASE 802

PS - Got it on my 69th jump.

A 69 I'll not forget in a hurry :$

BASE 802

Why sweat it? It's base jumping that makes you a base jumper, not a number.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Exactly my thought and feeling along the way. Hence it not being a mission.

- but it is sweet to complete the 4

BASE 802

congrats man. You started BASE jumping to BASE jump, not get a number, you found out you get a "degree" when you completed the 4 letters. You were pumped when you did but kept your original goal to BASE jump as primary. Very cool, man. Peace!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Congratulations! Don't delude yourself into thinking the number is a non-issue. You'll see 802 everywhere from now on and think, "hey... that's my number." You earned it.

Welcome to the club.

Gardner

Congratulations Bro! If you thought jump #69 was fun, I bet your'e really stoked when you exit for jump #801, well done and stay safe!
BASE 700

Having a fight and saying "semper fi" doesn't make you a marine. Likewise, jumping cliffs in Norway or pitching from a legal bridge in western USA in isolation doesn't make you a BASE jumper. BASE has already been defined. To be a BASE jumper you must have jumped the 4 qualifying objects. I feel sure Carl would see this as a non-negotiable point.

The number puts you in an elite club. It identifies your membership and signifies your commitment to the sport by showing a respect for the jumpers who have achieved the same goal before you. It carries on a tradition that is still in it's infancy but will have increased significance among it's members with time.

Just because you accept your number with pride doesn't mean you were jumping just for that one purpose. If that's the case, so what? You got where you wanted to be.

Athletes don't compete in the Olympics for a piece of metal on a ribbon. That medal signifies the achievement of being the best, fastest, strongest etc.

For those who don't want a number, that's fine. I understand some of their reasons. To each his own.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You done good.

Welcome to the hallowed halls, brother 802.

Skin, proudly BASE 727 ;)

$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Congrats Eddy

Skinflicka couldn't have said it better.

I think of my number as a tribute to the efforts of Carl Boenish and the pioneers before us.

B.A.S.E. Rocks!

Congrats! Whatever anyone else says, your BASE number has meaning to YOU and that's what counts.

Peace,

D-d0g
BASE 715
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

Congratulations! Don't delude yourself into thinking the number is a non-issue. You'll see 802 everywhere from now on and think, "hey... that's my number." You earned it.

Damn Back in Novemeber I finally got my E... Perhpas I'll send in for a number before 1000!!

I've never been big on Numbers but it's a pretty cool one to have :P After reading 311's I'll get my long over do number.

Cheers
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Congrats!

I didn't start to base to get a number either, but as others have said, I also feel that it is a great accomplishment...

Gardner is right...That number is gonna start to "turn up" everywhere...
...kinda like those 2000' sticks started to "turn up" around here:P

Again...Congrats...Enjoy it!

base704
ncbase4

You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

I haven't sent in for mine yet but after reading this thread I plan to.

I got my E back in November:S

Congratulations

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Congrats!

I didn't start to base to get a number either, .....

base704
ncbase4

Ahhh..... Bullshit!
excuse me :$

I started just to get girls phone numbers who might believe I was cooler than everyone else... alas 5 years later and the only numbers I have are these darn BASE numbers ;-)
Congrats Dude! You earned it!
BASE515

Thanks to everyone for their perspective, support and congratulations.

Peace be with you

BASE 802

BASE 802

Carl Boenish (BASE 4) would have been very proud of you, and so are all of us . . .

You're at the very tip of the BASE spear, Brother . . .

Congratulations!

Nick
BASE 194