caerdydd

PD Slinks

Saw this on the PD website. I use slinks on my skydiving main (who doesn't?) I know that the accepted wisdom is NOT to use these in BASE, but... why not? To me, it seems like they'd make a lot of sense (stronger than SS #5's?)... True, I wouldn't be able to secure my slider to my front risers using my rubber bumpers (the slider would have to come off), but apart from that, they seem pretty cool...
Thoughts?

"In our tests, the Performance Design's SlinkÆ survived at loadings beyond the suspension lines and/or riser! In our testing, the failure point of the system was repeatedly the suspension lines or the webbing attaching the three rings to the riser. In comparison tests, the PD reserve soft link survived tests that caused failures and/or severe damage to #4 and #5 stainless steel links! The PD Soft links not only survived these tests, but showed no signs of damage.

Based upon the results of these extensive tests, Performance Designs is the first manufacturer ever to receive FAA 'TSO' approval for a soft link for use on reserve parachutes!"

They're only sronger if they're hooked up right. If you're in the habit of completely removing the slider for slider off jumps, this is a potential error waiting to happen, and a devastating one at that.

Aside from that, they should work but remember I'm not a rigger so my opinion is just that. ---Dex

They're only sronger if they're hooked up right.

Yeah, but you've got to be an idiot to not beable to hook Slinks up correctly. If someone can't hook up Slinks correctly, how can they be trusted to not over tighten their rapid-links, and screw the threads up, thus weakening the link?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Let's see...it's 1/4 turn past finger tight? Or, is that when tightening the wing nut on the PVC p-trap under my kitchen sink. Hell, I can't remember.

I've debated whether or not to use the Slinks on my BASE rig. My initial thought on using them was what benefit would I gain by using them.

If they are in fact stronger than the steel ones, then I guess they wouldn't be such a bad idea.

And I see DB's point also. If I am constantly taking my slider off between jumps, I would think the potential for error is greater with the Slinks. And those errors have greater negative results from 300' than 10,500'.

But on the other hand, like you A.D., I think they are easy to install.

YeeHaww...........

Rod

If I am constantly taking my slider off between jumps

buy a rig more then;)

i think you give a good point,slinks would give greater risk of erros..even while they are easy to use.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The only reason I don't use soft links on my BASE gear is that I need to switch my gear config. too often--it takes too long already using standard metal links.

I wonder though, would using slinks on a brisk slider up opening risk dislodging a pinned toggle when there is no bumper to stop it?

My main reason for wanting soft links is to pull the slider down all the way to help improve canopy flight/landing, so putting bumpers over slinks seems retarded to me.

I think I'll stick with metal until I own enough rigs to designate them as full-time up or off rigz.

Yeah, but you've got to be an idiot to not beable to hook Slinks up correctly.

or just in a hurry, or in a situation where you may be field packing a rig, or any other number of situations.

In an ideal world, we would all be perfect and never make a mistake, but we're not. I agree with the earlier post, it is just one more thing to go wrong.

I don't think anyone mentioned putting bumpers OVER slinks... it's definitely one or the other... either steel links and bumpers, or slinks.

So, okay, let's say all things being equal, and stuff hooked up correctly, slinks seem to make sense, don't they?
Anything hooked-up wrong could kill you. So that aside, they seem pretty cool.
With regard to re-configuring gear: I have a decent number of jumps, mostly slider down, and personally don't like to take my slider off, for the same reasons mentioned (ie. mess with your gear less, hook something up wrong less). So, for someone like me, if I could find a decent way to attach the slider to the front risers WITHOUT bumpers, then slinks would be better all round. I never take my slider off... just move it up and down as necessary.
So, pilot error aside, does anyone know of any valid reason not to use slinks?

I wonder though, would using slinks on a brisk slider up opening risk dislodging a pinned toggle when there is no bumper to stop it?

Well, in reply to that.

It happened to me on my skydiving rig using soft links. So I guess it is possible to happen again on my BASE rig????

// Percy

just had this thourgth.im a eiter slider on or off,but for thouse who say slider down.

You would probaly like to hold your slider down on you front risers.i dont think these(bumper?)plastic things could hold it there.Therefor i think they could be dangerus on slider down jumps.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

One of my friends here in the South has been using slinks for about a year now I believe, hopefully I can get him to get his finger out of his ass and post some data.:o:o:o

Given our relationship with PD, offering slinks would be easy and convenient. However,we discussed this and thought it inappropriate for BASE.

Disadvantages:
  • As mentioned, a variety of rigging errors are clearly more likely. However, unlike a metal link that retains some strength, even unthreaded, an improperly assembled slink could experience a complete separation if misrigged.

• A hard slider-up opening could send the slider down and over or below the toggles compromising post-deployment control.

• Increased cost

• Incompatible w/ links. If you lose one you will need another-you can't substitute a readily available steel link.

• Advantages:
  • Lower bulk

• Can't damage slider grommets. (with bumpers, neither will a hard link).

• No tools needed.

• In short, we felt that although they are stronger and work well in the skydiving arena, they offered no real advantage to the BASE jumper. Conversley, undesirable by-products of their use were all too easy to think of. One unique element of our sport is that untrained and non-gear savvy individuals routinely perform work on their equipment that is legally (and in some cases, practically) within the domain of a Master Rigger. Given this, the simpler - the better. KISS.

Also, our current standard of a stainless steel , threaded link has proven more than strong enough, reliable and safe.

Adam Filippino

Consolidated Rigging, Inc.
    www.crmojo.com

[email protected]

With the wider risers (1 23/32) the chances of the slider coming down on a skydiving rig is minimal. With a BASE rig and the associated openings, it is possible, and if it does, it could be very hard/impossible to release the brakes. Skydiving reserves can open very hard too, and I haven't heard of anyone being unable to fly their Slink-equipped reserve with the toggles.

My main reason for wanting soft links is to pull the slider down all the way to help improve canopy flight/landing, so putting bumpers over slinks seems retarded to me.

Some people want the advantages of strength and lower bulk, but don't pull their slider down.

I don't think anyone mentioned putting bumpers OVER slinks... it's definitely one or the other... either steel links and bumpers, or slinks.

PD's SLinks are now shipped with cloth bumpers.

I have been considering putting reserve Slinks on my BASE rig, with the bumpers.

Hook

I've finally got my finger out of my ass, so here goes. I've been using Pd's reserve slinks for about a year and a half. A little over 100jumps with a third of those being terminal deployments. I have them installed on two rigs. I too like to adhere to the KISS principle and for that reason I use slinks. When you use metal quick links, you have to use slider bumpers also, to keep from cross loading the link on opening and to protect the lines from the slider. With a slink I don't have those worries. I have seen a slider bumper rip and travel up the lines on a skydiving canopy choking off the slider and resulting in a cut-away. If that happened in a BASEjump. You're are dead. I eliminate that off potential by using slinks. I don't remove my slider for low jumps, I just tie it off. Eliminates the chance for re-rigging worries. On a loaded as in opening canopy, I don't believe the slider will travel down the risers, they are simply too wide to begin with. If you are using type 17 risers well yeah, it would be a problem but not on type 8. I haven't any types of probs with them in a terminal deployment. IMHO They are simpler to use and maintain and are stronger than the #5 links.If you remove your slider often for low jumps they might be a pain, but I go back and forth between set-ups routinely which is the main reason I just tie the slider down. It's a lot quicker and safer because you don't introduce the rigging errors that are possible when you untie links and lines and such. I'm happy so far, but it is a on-going thing.

Mike Bartlett
    base515

I've finally got my finger out of my ass, so here goes... I'm happy so far, but it is a on-going thing.

Mike Bartlett
    base515

The finger is out but something had to have replaced it. maybe it was "armageddon" :D

make any jumps this week? Just trying to keep tabs on you. There's a lot at stake in our little competition ya know. :P
    I've made a few. I think I'm up to 21 since we started, 389 total. I don't see 420 happening on 4/20 though :(:( This might help though... leroy turned me onto it, try it, go ahead... you'll like it ;)

PabloHoney

Later,
    NakedBASE #15