ojf1982

Minimum height

What is the general concensus on what is the lowest height a base jump can be accomplished? 200ft, 300ft?
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

What is the general concensus on what is the lowest height a base jump can be accomplished? 200ft, 300ft?

The lowest I have ever seen was on "Fixed 2" video tape - 63ft cliff jump.:o

The lowest I have ever seen was on "Fixed 2" video tape - 63ft cliff jump.

Parchute optional though!! :P

Rough Consensus Guidelines:
Stowed freefall: 300 feet
Handheld freefall: 200 feet
Static Line/D-bag: 150 feet
Actual Lowest Jumps I Know About:
Stowed freefall: approximately 200 feet
Handheld freefall (over hard earth): 156 feet (no injury), 98 feet (life flight)
Static Line: 111 feet
Tard: approximately 75 feet
D-bag: 63 feet (parachute not optional--water was only knee deep)
Warning: Going this low is extremely foolish. If you do this, you better know what you are doing, and have health insurance, and a will.
With special techniques, you can get quite a bit lower. Tards, for example, appear to be the fastest inflation technique going, and can probably be pushed well under 100 feet.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Excuse my lack of knowledge in the sport but what is a tard?

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

T.A.R.D.  =  Totally Awesome, Rapid Deployment
Um, gosh. I'm torn between saying "you've got to see it to believe it", and trying to explain.
Here's the basic idea.
Stretch the lines out and do a quick pro-pack on the canopy.
Close the tailgate loosely.
Put your container on empty.
Gather the lines in your hands.
Toss the canopy up, and step under it.
You really do have to see it to believe it.
Oh, and you really don't want to know about the tard-away, and the re-tard.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Oh, and you really don't want to know about the tard-away, and the re-tard.

Oh please explain:o

Tom has pretty much summed it up, but to add my own personal data, 173ft static-line over hard earth is the lowest I've gone, but then again, rumor has it that a moderator from a really cool forum has freefalled that same obejct (173ft)...not only once, but several times. ;)

Bryan

Hey Tom,

Remember when this forum started, and I said that someone will do somthing stupid because of it? Its going to happen next tuesday. I'm getting a rig back (still only 1 of two) and will be near a nice 240' XXXXXX. I was going to freefall it for the first time (maybe), but now I am definitely doing a TARD. What was I thinking. This will provide all the rush of a low freefall, and all of the entertainment value of a, well, a TARD. Best of all, I dont' have to waste time packing!!! I can do two TARDs in 15 minutes. You made my day. Now I have something really interesting to look forward to.

Tree B|

Please note, this is not a sarcastic post. I really would have never thought of doing one this Tueday(maybe I thought about it just a little bit), but that desription was just what I needed to set wheels in motion.

cya :ph34r:

240 feet? At that altitude, you can do a front loop tard. Just hold the canopy, do a front loop over it, then release it as you come around.
Happy hunting!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

More helpful advice,

An interesting concept indeed. I may just give that a whirl but I'll go flat and stable first. (whatever the flat and stable equivalent of a tard is).

Thanks,

Tree :P

If I may say something, and I don't intend to flame because I learned this through my own experiences, is that this question will answer itself.

I live in an area with a shortage of tall objects, at least within a short drive, and I found myself looking at marginally doable objects rather than just driving a couple of hours to taller and safer objects. After some soul searching as to my true need to jump at these low heights, and asking this very same question to myself, something occured to me. If I need to ask this question, then most likely I am in over my head and and have no business on that object.

Better to take a more experienced jumper along who knows my abilities and hopefully they will give me a realistic (and honest) opinion on whether this one is too sick for me right now.

Generally, the low stuff is for those who have paid their dues up higher. Those who KNOW how low is too low.

(Then theres a couple of you who know it's too low and do some amazing stuff anyway! heh heh)

Some other points with the TARD

....lines are in one hand in largish loops (Careful not to cinch your hand!) and canopy in the other
....and don't forget to remove pilot chute and bridle!
....and set the nose....off headings can be a big issue with these jumps!
....the launch is very upright...you don't want to snag lines across your face or helmet.
....for lower objects, vented/valved canopies are better!

Really, if you haven't seen a TARD done...WAIT and see it in person.

Also, I've seen video of some REALLY BAD McConkey's. The jumper is initiating the front loop on the launch rather than letting the inflating canopy pull him around. This can create huge line slack risking lineover, etc.

I find that using reefing (tailgate) on VERY LOW McConkeys (165 feet) to be a bad idea....It impedes opening and can lend to off-headings. Even light reefing doesn't allow you to spread the canopy wide and maximize early inflation on the rotation. Again vented/valved canopies can help with inflation times.

I guess I'm trying to point out is that there is a lot more to these jumps than first meets the eye.....go with somebody that has done them before venturing off on your own.

All of this is still really experimental so like any good test pilot PLEASE wear body armor and a ####ing helmet!

One death is enough for this year!

:(

Some other points with the TARD

....lines are in one hand in largish loops (Careful not to cinch your hand!) and canopy in the other
....and don't forget to remove pilot chute and bridle!
....and set the nose....off headings can be a big issue with these jumps!
....the launch is very upright...you don't want to snag lines across your face or helmet.
....for lower objects, vented/valved canopies are better!

Really, if you haven't seen a TARD done...WAIT and see it in person.

Also, I've seen video of some REALLY BAD McConkey's. The jumper is initiating the front loop on the launch rather than letting the inflating canopy pull him around. This can create huge line slack risking lineover, etc.

I find that using reefing (tailgate) on VERY LOW McConkeys (165 feet) to be a bad idea....It impedes opening and can lend to off-headings. Even light reefing doesn't allow you to spread the canopy wide and maximize early inflation on the rotation. Again vented/valved canopies can help with inflation times.

I guess I'm trying to point out is that there is a lot more to these jumps than first meets the eye.....go with somebody that has done them before venturing off on your own.

All of this is still really experimental so like any good test pilot PLEASE wear body armor and a ####ing helmet!

One death is enough for this year!

:(

I agree with this.
I must tell you here, the people reading this are suppose to be new (zero jumps) or very low timers. That audience should not even be remotly considering the McC, DBag, SL or other forms of jumping low.

If you do, the number of deaths will again go up. New jumpers do not/will not have the mental reaction at these altitudes. It takes experience that you can olny get BASE Jumping. This is why so many of the old timers are conservative. I just think that talking about the details with lowtimers can give the impression that it is OK when it is not. Even the BEST can get hurt or killed. Look at Slim with 1,300 jumps. Anyone can get hurt/killed. If you push too hard too fast, the chances increase. If you pace yourself and learn from the oldtimers mistakes, you will live to be an oldtimer yourself.

Take your time.
Walk down from jumps!
Do not jump because anyone else did/does.

If someone else does something that you do not understand, or is above your abilities, you do NOT have to follow. If you get hurt or killed, it is all you. You have to live with the consequences. Every time.
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

>Take your time.
>Walk down from jumps!
>Do not jump because anyone else did/does.

Really sound advice. Just ask yourself...if I don't feel 100% about this and I don't jump now...is it really going to matter a week from now, a year from now.......of course not.

In fact I have found a distinct pleasure in walking away from certain jumps because I KNOW I am using MY intuition....that little voice in the back of my head saying that it is not worth it.

And BASE intuition is something that is developed over time. Don't ever find yourself saying "#### it, I'm just gonna go!" Like Mick says, start slow. That can be difficult when you are surrounded by experienced jumpers that are going hard, off of all kinds of objects.

Cuz you know what...really...the whole point is to make it to the end of the day ALIVE ....and in one (unbroken) piece....and be able to throw back a couple of pints with good friends.

That cliff will still be there tomorrow...

>Take your time.
>Walk down from jumps!
>Do not jump because anyone else did/does.

Really sound advice. Just ask yourself...if I don't feel 100% about this and I don't jump now...is it really going to matter a week from now, a year from now.......of course not.

In fact I have found a distinct pleasure in walking away from certain jumps because I KNOW I am using MY intuition....that little voice in the back of my head saying that it is not worth it.

And BASE intuition is something that is developed over time. Don't ever find yourself saying "#### it, I'm just gonna go!" Like Mick says, start slow. That can be difficult when you are surrounded by experienced jumpers that are going hard, off of all kinds of objects.

Cuz you know what...really...the whole point is to make it to the end of the day ALIVE ....and in one (unbroken) piece....and be able to throw back a couple of pints with good friends.

That cliff will still be there tomorrow...

Well said.
Every cliff, and (most)Buildings, (most) antennae and (most) bridges will outlive most everyone reading this.
You have time to visit it again.
;)
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

Hey Tom,

Isn't a TARD a WAD jump by another name? I figure I'll call my jump a WAD. People have been doing WADs for years, and Marvin even WADed his FX at BD00'. With the years of research already put into WADs, I feel much safer blowing a WAD instead of becoming a TARD.

All kidding aside, there isn't that much difference. What would you estimate opening distance (to inflated, flying canopy) to be with a TARD?

Thanks,

Tree B|

Hey Tom,
All kidding aside, there isn't that much difference. What would you estimate opening distance (to inflated, flying canopy) to be with a TARD?
B|

Well, I'm not Tom (and I am sure folks are thankful for that small mercy in life), but I've seen Tards open about 20-30 feet higher than a proper PCA. Thus, I'd estimate a tard is flying and pressurized around 70 feet or so after exit. This, of course, depends on canopy venting and many other factors. I've seen photos of a disturbed Canadian tarding from 110 feet, but hey that's him not me! :o

Peace,

D-d0g
[email protected]
www.wrinko.com
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

Rough Consensus Guidelines:
Stowed freefall: 300 feet
Handheld freefall: 200 feet
Static Line/D-bag: 150 feet

Tom im interested in that freefall chart,do you have print of it?
Im interested while i read thouse freefall charts on the net/BR and they say totaly different.By the way,i know that practice is different,and would like some guidelines(speasily about pc´s in different altitudes).
You could PM or mail me about this info if you want

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Well, I'm not Tom (and I am sure folks are thankful for that small mercy in life), but I've seen Tards open about 20-30 feet higher than a proper PCA

Hmmm. Might this be a good method for a certain technical B we've been discussing? An extra 20-30 feet could be useful in getting over some trees.

Why PCA off low objects if the Tard gives you a quicker canopy?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

freefall charts on the net/BR and they say totaly different.

I've just looked at the delay/altitude/equipment chart on the BR Web Site.
This chart calls for hand held pilot chutes lower than 600 feet. This is a good, conservative recommendation for beginners. I think it may be a bit of overkill, though.
I don't think it's a particularly good idea to go handheld past three seconds or so since bridle flap can cause complications (entanglement, premature pin extraction). BR recommends it, though.
I guess opinions vary.
What other charts are you looking at, aside from the BR one?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

After much debate, I believe it was decided that a BASE jump has to start with a packed parachute.

Works for me...
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

This is not aimed at LJ. I just wanted to say this to everyone reading this thread.

All right, I'm calling us all on this.
DANGER!
There are about five people on earth who have done enough Tards to even consider doing one off a low, technical building.
They are fun, they are crazy, and you are taking your life in your own hands. This is not something that a beginner jumper ought to be attempting, or even considering.
Please, anyone reading this, don't consider a Tard unless (a) you are already an advanced BASE jumper, (b) you understand all the extra risks (have you considered what happens if you stick your foot into the nose of a cell, for example?), (c) you have someone who has done one to show you how (not via internet), and (d) you have a will.
Unpacked canopy jumps are silly, dangerous and only mildly amusing. If you want to do one, be sure you know what you are getting into.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com