rhopstr

Go straight for reserve or deploy main first when your cutaway handle's been pulled accidentally?

Hi there,

saw this video where a skydiver accidentally pulls another skydiver's cutaway handle on exit.

Wondering what I would do in that situation I thought I'd put in on here to see what others feel to be the best way to go:

1)
use your normal deployment sequence and expect the main to fly away and then you (or your rsl) pull your reserve

or

2)
go for your reserve straight away to not risk having anything go wrong with the main first opening and then flying off (not sure what the additional risks there would be in this situation)

It really bothers me that I'm not sure what I would have done if it were me in that video.

Sidenote: of course I will check with my local instructor first before my next jump with regards to stuff learned online.

The look on that guy's face and the finger pointing was priceless - laughed my ass off!

Of course that's coming from a guy who got his cutaway handle stripped one time, and the guy didn't even show it to me. He tossed the damn thing too!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Reserve first, the main's still securely locked in the container and the main risers aren't going anywhere soon.

You wouldn't be worried about the main risers catching wind etc and deploying unintentionally?

Nope.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Reserve first, the main's still securely locked in the container and the main risers aren't going anywhere soon.

You wouldn't be worried about the main risers catching wind etc and deploying unintentionally?

Think about it. While the risers are disconnected, the main container is still held closed by the closing pin.
How would disconnecting your risers open the main container? So what could "deploy"?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I would have thought the same as OP. I would have assumed after cutting away that the main would want to leave the container. I won't be shy to admit that i misunderstood the mechanics of the cutaway system. I'm glad i read this thread..

CloudyHead, your post indicates a lack of gear knowledge. It also indicates that you realize that and will be rectifying it soon. Good stuff.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239