SDiver218

Buying A Main Canopy

Just got my A, and I'm looking to get my first rig together. I've got the container and reserve, so all I need is the main (170- used).

I've been doing a lot of research online, but I wanted to get the informed opinion of the DZ.com members on what to look for in a first rig, and maybe even some recommendations.

The advice I've been getting so far has been to go with either a Sabre or a Spectre. Any thoughts?

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk. - Barney Gumbal

I recently bought a used Spectre 170 and it's awesome. I'm loading it at .97:1 and it's very easy to fly and land. I highly recommend the Spectre. I was also considering a Sabre, Triathlon and Hornet as a 1st canopy, but the Spectre came along so I got it and glad I did.

I loved my sabre as a first canopy. It was wonderful. I guess you should also think if you want a 7 cell or 9 cell. I recently downsized to a 7 cell (after jumping a 9 cell at a .8 wingloading), and I really like landing the 7 cell. I think that's something to take into consideration also.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I loved my sabre as a first canopy. It was wonderful. I guess you should also think if you want a 7 cell or 9 cell. I recently downsized to a 7 cell (after jumping a 9 cell at a .8 wingloading), and I really like landing the 7 cell. I think that's something to take into consideration also.

Doesn't the 7 cell have a steeper glide ratio? (or is it the other way around?)

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk. - Barney Gumbal

What are the noticeable difference between a 7 cell and 9? As a newbie, is that something to take into consideration on a 1st canopy?

What I've heard is that a 7 cell descends at a steeper angle than a 9 cell, with less forward glide. They are supposedly easier to land in tight spots.

What I've heard is that a 7 cell descends at a steeper angle than a 9 cell, with less forward glide. They are supposedly easier to land in tight spots.

Ya they do. I had trouble landing a 9 cell, probably took me a good 40 to 50 jumps where i started to land on my feet more than 50% of the time. With my 7 cell now, i'm almost always on my feet. Granted I still consider myself a newbee to the sport, and don't have many jumps, so there are probably others on the forum that can give you more insight than what i have mentioned.

I will mention though, try to demo a canopy before purchasing it. It usually helps.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM