mhjelset

Wingsuit efficiency gains with no rig?

Major kudos to Gary for landing his modified Apache yesterday.

In the run up to the event I was at one point under the impression that he wouldn't be wearing a rig. So the question is, what glide efficiency gains could a wingsuit design see if it were designed without having to consider a traditional container and harness being accommodated?

Not only would there be a significant weight saving, but surely the airflow could be more efficiently managed?

disclaimer: I'm not an aeronautical engineer so am just assuming that our containers disrupt rather than improve airflow over our backs - but I could be wrong since maybe it already does a decent job as a deflector.

A wingsuit, without a rig, and without arms, gives off an upside down airplane wing shape. Which is used on cars as spoilers because it exerts downward force. Very bad for lift/glide ratio.
Add the arms, then you got some upward force on a large downward force body.

What you really need to thing about is how to make the rig flush with the helmet and wingsuit. The Tonysuits Fast-back design helps with this.

I've drawn up a sketch of a way to make things a little more flush:
http://i.imgur.com/dcRVw.jpg

I'm guessing 0% gain over a design like this.

2,382.94 €

:|

There is a BASE harness integrated into the suit.

For comparison

TS Apache + Apex DP = 1600$ + 759$ = 2359$
or
PF V4 + AB Zak 2 = 1260€ + 719.06$ = 1979,06€
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

What you really need to thing about is how to make the rig flush with the helmet and wingsuit. The Tonysuits Fast-back design helps with this.
l]

Minor side point, Chuck Priest had fastbacks long long before anyone else was building wingsuits.:P

There could also be the aspect of airflow slipping between the body and the suit itself, which the rig keeps under control. Perhaps with no rig airflow here could inflate the suit in undesired ways, with the spandex across the back allowing further inflation?

Perhaps a deflector could be put in place?
Perhaps the deflector could be a shaped backpack full of fuel for the micro-turbines you have strapped to your feet?
Or maybe even a larger jet engine extending all the way down?
Also without the necessity of having to reach around to the BOC perhaps an extension of the arm wing could be an option?