Monko760

Flying in formation

Flying the V

Birds do it to decrease drag, have any of you tried doing this to increase the distance of your flight?

I know I'm a complete newb, and I admit to only about 5 minutes of google/forum searches before coming here, but I think its an interesting topic.

I know it would be insane to watch 5 guys jump a cliff, knowing the first three are only there to help the last two achieve a height or distance otherwise unattainable. Given there is ample space for the tip of the formation to break off and deploy safely.

Pipe dreams?
I fly and stuff, its fun!

Birds do it to decrease drag, have any of you tried doing this to increase the distance of your flight?

I think you're missing the point. There's no way for the flyers back in the V to fly any higher or further than the lead flyer. The benefits of the formation depend on the formation itself remaining intact, so if you attempt to pass the leader, you lose the benefits.

Birds use it to fly the same distance/speed as the lead flyer with less effort. They rotate the positions, so all the brids have an equal exposure to the benefits, and the whole flock gets further.

I guess I'm reaching, but it would seem as though there could be some sort of benefit gained. I know the vortex that comes off the wingtips can support flight some distance behind the lead flyer. So if the lead starts to lose altitude the followers could maintain slightly more altitude as they ride the vortex farther back from the lead.

Maybe I just want to see a youtube of a V formation Grinding the Crack. -_-

You need to read the above response from davelepka again and you will have your answer. As soon as the lead drops away your wingtip vortice advantage just left you. AS explained in the natural world its a strategy to enable greater duration for distance flights across the entire flock.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Maybe I just want to see a youtube of a V formation Grinding the Crack. -_-

ha! that's a lovely thought
a giant formation flying through the crack... now if that's not enough incentive for people to fly it tight, I don't know what is :P:P

but I'd like to take it one step further and suggest triple docked backflying wingsuit rodeo flying through the crack.
oh, and make those foot docks...
;)

As soon as the lead drops away your wingtip vortice advantage just left you.

I don't know how far the vortices are effective for a wingsuit, but the episode of mythbusters I just watched tested the V formation with planes. They got similar results when flying in an extended formation as they did with a tight formation.

Sorry I'm reaching so far, feel free to tell the nub to stfu.

oh and Im with you SuperGirl =P

I don't know how far the vortices are effective for a wingsuit, but the episode of mythbusters I just watched tested the V formation with planes. They got similar results when flying in an extended formation as they did with a tight formation.

Have you also seen that part when pilots told it's not nice to fly other's vortex?

I can ride my budy's trail, all I got is falling out of the sky.

I can fly under you, if you would fly a wing suit, all you would feel is loosing lift and falling out......

A wing suit is not a powered aircraft (with those known exceltions).

I did see that part... Thanks for your patience in replying.

I am obviously really new. I am half way saved for an AFF package, with my ultimate goal to dawn a wingsuit before then end of the decade. It shouldn't take that long, but I'm not the richest person in the world and I like taking progression pretty slow.

Thank you all for not being as harsh as some boardies on other mb.

but I'd like to take it one step further and suggest triple docked backflying wingsuit rodeo flying through the crack.
oh, and make those foot docks...
;)

we're working on it! except we'll use crw or clouds instead of the earth ...
Brian