mixedup

does a GPS exist to provide direction for track/flight when clouded over?

Hey wingsuiters - I'm still many jumps away from wingsuiting myself :( however I was curious:

Is there such a thing as a wearable GPS device that could confirm the direction you're heading when under freefall/wingsuit?

I mean you have so much forward speed in those suits doesn't it mean you pretty much can't jump on a fully clouded over day? Or can you watch the plane after existing to confirm jump run and then go at 90 degrees for 1/2 the dive, and then turn around and come back or something?
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

Actually what we like to do over here is get the pilot to do the first 90 degree turn so all we have to do once we're out the door is a another 90 and hit the gas. That way you are away from jump run and already heading the right direction. Thick ceiling like from 2k to 4k or something I would not jump even with a GPS I like to know I am in the clear when I deploy.

FlyBlind does a great job of giving you heading, have not tested the distance option yet and now the season is over so I will give it a go in the spring.

Hey wingsuiters - I'm still many jumps away from wingsuiting myself :( however I was curious:

Is there such a thing as a wearable GPS device that could confirm the direction you're heading when under freefall/wingsuit?

I mean you have so much forward speed in those suits doesn't it mean you pretty much can't jump on a fully clouded over day? Or can you watch the plane after existing to confirm jump run and then go at 90 degrees for 1/2 the dive, and then turn around and come back or something?

Are you IFR rated? No, than remember to fly VFR. You can get lost either way.

Navigating by the sun can work well some of the time, but can be problematic, depending on the time of day, if there are multiple layers of cloud and how sure you are of where you are dropped by the pilot.

Picking a heading on exit, or taking a bearing from the plane also assumes you are where you expect to be. A couple of degrees out can put you quite a bit away from the LZ, and you may not be aware if you fly too far downwind.

NOTE: FlyBlind is not intended as a substitute for visual navigation, you still need conditions that are good enough to ensure you avoid other jumpers and canopies.