kleggo

Flysight GPS Actual use feedback

Yes, i'm a Luddite, and know very little about GPS technology other than there are satellites used to determine position.
:)But i also recognize that using the proper tools will speed the learning curve of trying to fly efficiently.

Let's assume i am flying a suit and have purchased a flysight.
I've figured out a good way to mount it to me and i've read the instructions so i think i know how to use it.

Now the Questions;
1. do you think that the audible feedback is truly a useful aid to increasing flight efficiency if i am trying to fly to maximize distance over ground?
2. or does one only truly gain knowledge from later data review via Paralog or other similar software?
I would think that real time feedback is more important.

The Flysight QUICK START guide says
1. At the start of the day, turn FlySight on and leave it outside for 15 minutes, then turn it off.
2. Before boarding the aircraft, turn FlySight on for 1 or 2 minutes.
3. A couple of minutes before exit, turn FlySight on again.
4. After you land, turn FlySight off.

Steps 2 and 3 above state "turn on", but there is no mention of turning off between 2 and 3, is this a typo or is there an auto shut down?

Thanks,

Craig

This is a particularly interesting subject for me. My interest in real-time feedback has been inspired partly by technology like this which helps people who have lost their sense of balance.

Devices like the Brainport stimulate the user's tongue to tell them when they're leaning to one side. The brain can use this information, in lieu of a normal sense of balance, to remain upright.

Perhaps even more interestingly, research has shown that, the longer something like this is used, the longer the patient can actually go without it. The brain isn't just using the device as a crutch, but is actually figuring out what else indicates an off-balance position.

This sort of learning really only works with immediate feedback. If you look at data after a jump, you'll get a conscious idea of how well you did--still a valuable thing to know--but it doesn't really help your brain learn the way immediate feedback does.

My hope with FlySight is that, given immediate feedback, our brains will actually pick up on cues that we wouldn't necessarily have noticed on our own--things like the sound of the air going by, the feeling of being tipped slightly forward, or the sensation of pressure on the chest. With time, I think these things will begin to form a sense of glide ratio.

The Flysight QUICK START guide says
1. At the start of the day, turn FlySight on and leave it outside for 15 minutes, then turn it off.
2. Before boarding the aircraft, turn FlySight on for 1 or 2 minutes.
3. A couple of minutes before exit, turn FlySight on again.
4. After you land, turn FlySight off.

Steps 2 and 3 above state "turn on", but there is no mention of turning off between 2 and 3, is this a typo or is there an auto shut down?

:)
Michael

1. do you think that the audible feedback is truly a useful aid to increasing flight efficiency if i am trying to fly to maximize distance over ground?
2. or does one only truly gain knowledge from later data review via Paralog or other similar software?

In the original flysight thread I posted this

Just thought I'd share a couple of jump logs.

I've only recently started wingsuiting (just 30 w/s jumps) and I'm really enjoying it. As I've just started I thought the flysight would be really handy to get my flying position dialled in.

And it did.

On jump 219 I had the flysight switched on but I couldn't hear the tones to help me out.

Before jump 221 I switched from an in-helmet speaker to earphones and could hear the tones quite easily.

You can see the difference in the glide rate !

The audible feedback really makes a difference.
Jump more, post less.

I have one too, past a certain age you have to take all the help you can get.

Up to now I have only done "short" flights with it, but even then the realtime feedback is helpful as a stall warning. I already improved my distances with this gadget.

If you have the impression you are losing speed towards the end of the flight, the flysight will definitely help.

I have more problems to evaluate the data on Paralog, I think that will change as soon as I make longer flights.

Walter

This sort of learning really only works with immediate feedback. If you look at data after a jump, you'll get a conscious idea of how well you did--still a valuable thing to know--but it doesn't really help your brain learn the way immediate feedback does.

My hope with FlySight is that, given immediate feedback, our brains will actually pick up on cues that we wouldn't necessarily have noticed on our own--things like the sound of the air going by, the feeling of being tipped slightly forward, or the sensation of pressure on the chest. With time, I think these things will begin to form a sense of glide ratio.

Michael

Michael, thanks for taking the time to reply.
your response makes sense to me a aligns well with my previous experiences
Expect an order soon, along with a few additional questions.

kleggo

I borrowed a FlySight for a jump a few months ago on my R Bird. I didn't really know if the high tone was good or bad but I figured it out in the first 10 seconds. Even with that false start I got a personal record of 156 seconds on the R...an increase of good 8 seconds over my previous best.

I ordered a FlySight and installed it in my helmet with a motorcycle speaker so I don't even have to think about it being there. It is mostly useless on my group jumps but when I go and do a solo I put it to use.

Simon