Butters

Does this look scary?

Looks scary yea..
Something you see sometimes when people dont slow down enough, and pull in a bit of a steep position (mostly due to not bending legs, is what it looks like here). Ive seen some experienced flyers have Dbags hit their fit during 'sorta' full-flight pulls. In freezeframe, some of that stuff looks mega scary.

In this case there are comments on the bad opening in the video as well, so no doubt stuff thats debriefed properly so the student can change/work on body position for his next jumps..thats why he was being filmed in the first place I guess..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I see more and more people jumping footmounted cameras, while not being in full controll of their opening yet, and some of those even have it on the same side as their pilotchute.

But its the GoPro age...every boring moment needs to be captured, and preferably without editing, thrown onto YouTube for millions of noob followers..:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Very scary. Hence the threepeat of the deployment in the video.
Had he been wearing a foot cam, it would likely have snagged. This is an FFC and the guy waited way too long between wave off and pulling. You saw the subsequent near flip-through too, which could also have caught a camera.
This student was as stiff as a board on this jump, having held his breath through most of the flight (see the silly thread in Instructors forum).
If you look at the vid from yesterday, you'll see an even scarier student deployment (or almost not-deployment).
Kids do the darndest things.:D

every boring moment needs to be captured, and preferably without editing, thrown onto YouTube for millions of noob followers..

more like 10 viewers

The real problem is the angle between his body and the horizon. The angle between the lines and his body is just a symptom.

I took a girl on a FJC once and she literally did a front flip every time she tried to pull. I was scared shitless for her, fortunately on the 2nd try she got her stuff out and was ok.

Even the experienced guys that pull in full flight have their stuff come pretty damn close to their feet IMO. Just ONE of the reasons I sink out my deployments. And I tell my students... knee bones and ankle bones TOUCHING until you are seated and stowing your slider. Not only keeps you head high... keeps you even in the harness for on-heading deployment.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Even the experienced guys that pull in full flight have their stuff come pretty damn close to their feet IMO.

Ive seen this as well...especially the ones who pull somewhere in the middle. Not fully in full flight, not really slowed down either. You sometimes see the bag nearly hit the bent legs, coming down.

Though I tell every person how to do a proper slowdown/pull, you just see a few who tend to stress out a bit at pulltime and show you 'less optimal' positions for deployment.

Even when collapsing legwing fully, some people (often guys, most girls tend to arch really well) tend to not arch, but only pull arms back, and sink knees in. Going into a more de-arched position at the hips, causing them to dip slightly headlow.

It is the kind of thing where you usually DO see the more experienced flyers shine...as they tend to be more in controll of their bodyposition in freefall (though often need a lot of coaching to get the normal flying/full flight position down).
That said, Id rather have someone that needs coaching on the performance aspect, than someone who needs a lot of coaching/training on the basics. More experience is always better..

I think a good collection of scary deployments from everywhere could scare people away from this dicipline for sure...:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I am the one, again....

"mccodia: I think a good collection of scary deployments from everywhere could scare people away from this dicipline for sure..."***
I don't think, this should be the goal here. Assuming people are fairly experienced before they start with wingsuiting, I would prefer proper advice for deployment, not to mention all the other aspects of safety when going into WS. On the other hand: You DID give some good hints in your post!

"DSE: If you look at the vid from yesterday, you'll see an even scarier student deployment (or almost not-deployment). Kids do the darndest things."

Yes, please take this one serious too. I have a friend who recently got the AFFI rating. He gave up continuing on WS BECAUSE of deployment, opening issues. As you know I had my first reserve ride only a few jumps after this one. I believe I had applied some of the relaxation input and got more proficient with my pull sequence and body position. Maybe a bad pack job, who knows.

-> My point here: after 21 WS jumps among 180 jumps with one and the same rig (wingsuit modification included), canopy: Deployment might be an IMPORTANT issue amongst other things to consider with WS that have to be addressed. I want to improve and get to the same level of nice, on-heading openings that I had until now!

Zimmerman, the comment on a scary deployment collection was ment as a sarcastic comment. Not advice..

The jumps seen here are coaches jumps, so the people are most likely working on it already.
That aside, I have been collecting some 'common mistakes' to turn it into a FLB flight manual video, to show the proper way, and not so proper way of deploying.

Given the feedback on the emergency recovery techniques, and the number of flyers who didnt get trained on those initially...I think it never hurts showing some of the more experienced flyers what they could be working on as well. Some people always deploy in twists, and blame/modify their rig, canbopy, bag etc. While in a lot of those cases, asymetrical or just slightly de-arched/headlow body position is the real one to blame.

Though not recommendable, I know several flyers who jump stiletto's, katana's etc. in rediculous small sizes, yet always have quite okay openings due to good deployment technique/body position.
Though do have to ad, in case of a single twist, they are still screwed, and looking for a freebag in the fields..:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If this is truely the entire video of his wingsuit jump video one question comes to mind why were there no practice pulls. I am not a trained wingsuit instructor but I would think the first jump would be made up of two things proper exit and pull. The exit would be practice on the ground but why no in flight practice pulling? My first jump on every new wingsuit I get is comprised of mainly practicing pulling.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

He also didn't have three deployments, and we didn't dock twice on the first jump. And the jump didn't last 3 mins, either.:P Dunno if I could hang with a student doing 3 mins on his first jump.
It's an edit to showcase a few points of the first, second, and fourth jumps before taking off the Intro and putting on the P2 wingsuit.