fundgh

Reserve Closing loop Frayed

I noticed this after 4 jumps on a brand new container and closing loop. I didn't check the loop after the pack job, but the next day I did and found that it was frayed. Has anybody seen this? Any ideas how this occurs? The rigger's only explanation was that it was "a really tight pack job".
...FUN FOR ALL!

No... Odds are the rigger damaged it with a Temp pin while doing the pack job. Replace it before you jump the rig anymore. Frayed that bad has reduced the strength of the loop by at least 50%. That could break at anytime including climb out of the plane. Having that break at climb out could result in your death and the crash of the plane.

Have the rigger replace it now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I totally agree with Phreezone -- have a rigger look at that before you jump it again. It *could* be a piece of the pull-up stuck underneath the closing loop (I just took a rigging course, and we saw that on a rig). If so, it will take your rigger two seconds to pull it out. If not, a half hour to re-close, and you'll be good to go.

It is definately the closing loop fraying. It only looks like one or two strands, but I haven't jumped it since I noticed it. I would love to take it back to the rigger that packed it, but she is a couple states away, and the loft didn't seem to take any responsibility when I called them about it.
...FUN FOR ALL!

I have done that to closing loops. I have a couple of tricks to prevent it from happening. (weight bag under the reserve closing loop plate and finger trapping a short peice of pull up cord material into the center of the pull up cord in increase it's diameter) It is usually caused by the pull up cords breaking strands of the closing loop. That is one of the things I check after closing the last flap. If it is frayed, I open it back up and replace the loop.

Have the loop replaced.

That is a Mirage, yes?

Derek

It is usually caused by the pull up cords breaking strands of the closing loop.

I agree. I've seen this before. Airtec recommends using their cypres loop material for the pull up cord to prevent this kind of wear on the closing loop.

Some riggers use non-gutted suspension line (type II or is it IIa?) to make it easier to insert the temp pin. But after each insertion of the pin (maybe as many as 6 flaps) the pack job gets tighter and the force of the suspension line against the cypres loop saws its way thru the loop.

How many days has the pack job had to settle into the rig? You may request the rigger replace the closing loop w/ a new one 1/4 inch longer.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Ink your closing loop before you take it to a rigger for repack, and insist that during each repack the CYPRES loop is replaced (happens to be a rule in our loft). The best way to make it easy to insert the pin is to finger trap line inside the pull up chord at the halfway point to make it a little thicker, hence the loop a bit more open. Don't substitute gutted suspension line or anything else as a closing loop. Unquestionably replace the frayed loop in the photos before the rig is jumped. Blue skies . . .

No... phreezone's correct. That had to be caused during the closing sequence either from dragging the loop across the bottom of the grommet or from pinning it.

I've frayed loops before on tight rigs, and am convinced it was from the bottom of the grommet - not having them totally lined up when pulling the loop through. This was pretty evident from how the closing went, and where the loop was damaged. This is always the last thing I look at before sealing a rig.

A tip I got from Mirage for packing tight reserves works great - close all the flaps but leave out the pilot chute, and let the rig sit overnight. The next day it's very easy to close, and no more frayed loops.

Edited to add - This can happen on any rig, not just Mirages!
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

[QUOTE]I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was a Mirage because the loop was frayed[/QUOTE]

No harm done, thanks for the info. I've just heard a couple things from riggers about mirage not being as rigger friendly as some other containers.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

:)cutting some fibers. The length off the fuzz would
put the cause of fiber damage in the approximate area of the rim, so it wouldn't hurt to check for that.
Best is to check all grommets for proper seating, and like that you'll have eliminated one probable cause.
There are two types of stainless steel 0-grommets, short and long shank grommets, depending on the thickness of the material that is to receive the grommet. Sometimes the wrong grommet gets used or mixed up in the bin of grommet setting machines.
Also, the grommet may just not have been set enough, by hand or machine. If you should find this to be the case, then please call the manufacturer. I'm sure they would appreciate your input.;)

I've just heard a couple things from riggers about mirage not being as rigger friendly as some other containers.

Huh, what exactly did you hear that is not rigger friendly about mirage :o ?
I can't find a thing about my mirage that wouldn't be rigger friendly.
"George just lucky i guess!"

I've just heard a couple things from riggers about mirage not being as rigger friendly as some other containers.

Huh, what exactly did you hear that is not rigger friendly about mirage :o ?
I can't find a thing about my mirage that wouldn't be rigger friendly.

Some complain because the spring is really strong and that the wedge shape makes it to hard to control. There are lots of tricks to make both of those a non-issues.....I mean if I can pack it, anyone can pack it. ;)
Fly it like you stole it!