AlanA4

Quick Interview Questions PLEASE HELP ME

Hey guys so I chose to do a project for my Recreation Class on Wingsuit jumping because I think what you guys do is so cool and I would love to try it myself one day. I have to interview 2 people who are readily involved in the sport of Wingsuit Jumping.

I was hoping that a few of you guys have 5 minutes to answer these 10 questions so that I can learn more about this sport. Even if you can only answer a few of the questions, it would be a huge help!

Thanks a bunch guys. here are the questions:

1. How does one become interested in the sport of Wing Suiting? How did you start?

2. Has your view of the sport changed since you have become involved seriously in it?

3. Is there still fear before you jump or are you confident in your abilities?

4. Do you have friends or family who oppose to this risk taking?

5. When in the sport did you realize you were hooked to this rush? After the first time?

6. What’s next? Is there anything crazier you want to try?

7. Have you ever had any close calls with disaster and if so how did it effect you?

8. How much does it cost approximately per jump? Is this a financially tough sport?

9. How long do you hope to continue jumping? Are there any age restrictions?

10. How many times a year do you usually get to jump?

11. If you could describe wing suiting in one word what would you chose?

Hey guys so I chose to do a project for my Recreation Class on Wingsuit jumping because I think what you guys do is so cool and I would love to try it myself one day. I have to interview 2 people who are readily involved in the sport of Wingsuit Jumping.

I was hoping that a few of you guys have 5 minutes to answer these 10 questions so that I can learn more about this sport. Even if you can only answer a few of the questions, it would be a huge help!

Thanks a bunch guys. here are the questions:

1. How does one become interested in the sport of Wing Suiting? How did you start?

A very experienced jumper and Wingsuit Instructor at one of the dropzones I call home gently eased me into it. One afternoon, he gave me a suit and told me to rig it up, and we'd go fly. I did. We did.

I already had 500 jumps and 5 years in the sport then.

2. Has your view of the sport changed since you have become involved seriously in it?

Wingsuiting has developed tremendously since I started six and a half year ago. So yes, my view has changed, but then, the whole sport has changed. Until this time last year, nobody thought a 71-way formation was possible, including me, and I was in it. Until then, big formations were zoos. Aerobatics and artistics have come a long way too in that short time. It's not a mature discipline, but it's definitely past its adolescence (though you wouldn't always think that when witnessing the brand wars here).

BTW, your five minutes are up. But I'll keep at it.

Fear, no. Apprehension, when I haven't jumped for two weeks, before the first jump in the morning, yes. Not more or less for a wingsuit jump than for a regular skydive though. So, fear before wingsuiting, no.

No. Education helps. Also, a healthy insight into taking risks as a matter of life helps. Riding motorcycles is a risk to be managed. Crossing the street is a risk to be managed. Hell, ballroom dancing is a risk to be managed (talk to my sis-in-law. she broke a leg). Risks are there to be managed, not avoided, or you couldn't get out of bed. There is risk in skydiving, there is risk in wingsuiting, but there is risk in living. A life without risks is not being lived.

I haven't told my sister-in-law I'm now jumping a 2.0 wingload though.

5. When in the sport did you realize you were hooked to this rush? After the first time?

I'm not hooked to the rush, I never was really. Skydiving, like playing bridge, to me is something to be done well. They are social activities first, coaching is very satisfying and a jump or a play that goes well is very rewarding. I started on the static line, and a jump on a big canopy is actually relaxing.

I have considered BASE jumping, but I've been postponing that for years now. I still want to get my motorcycle license (I can ride, but I suck at exams). I want to learn Italian someday and read Umberto Eco in the original. To me, that's pretty crazy.

7. Have you ever had any close calls with disaster and if so how did it effect you?

Yes. In the long run, it made me a bit more careful in my risk management, but overall, it really did not affect me deeply. It did make me realise the importance of luck and skill, my own and others's, though. Education is important, you never know enough, and it's important to know your limitations. You can work on your skills, work to create that extra bit of margin you didn't have before and then choose whether to keep it as margin or use it up to up the stakes a little. The more you up the stakes, the more margin for error you need. :)

8. How much does it cost approximately per jump? Is this a financially tough sport?

€25 for a jump. Couple bucks for travel, couple for gear (your own gear is paid lump sum in advance, then costs maintenance and depreciation), couple hours, a bar tab and a lot of patience, esp. in the beginning. Finances are not the biggest problem, there are always ways, but you may need to be willing to prioritise. What I get out of it is beyond money.

I do not plan to stop, ever. No age restrictions as such, but you must be able to perform adequately, mentally and physically.

After student status, between 150 and 300. I don't want to jump more often.

Flying.

It's actual honest flying, even if we can't climb, or land. And flying is good.

Any sort of skydiving, with or without a wingsuit, is good; when I'm up there, I'm happy, I leave my troubles on the ground. Doesn't matter if it's just me, a small group or a large group, whether it's canopy flying, canopy formation flying, freefall relative work, wingsuit relative work or canopy precision approach, you leave your troubles behind and you're in the moment. That's a rare and precious thing.
Johan.
I am. I think.

i started at a boogie trying a beginner ws. i really had no interest in it until i started base jumping. then and now i currently skydive WS to stay current for base WS .

there really hasnt been any major changes. there really has been a big push in proximity flying in base.

there is always healthy fear for me. less in skydiving than base but still is present. even being confident in my skills, you are in a restricted movement suit, flying at high speeds, with danger lurking at all times. i like the feeling of fear, it keeps me alert to the gravity of what i am doing.

no, not really. i think my friends and family understand the risks as i try to explain to to them. but they accept me doing it.

i was hooked on my first cliff base jump, and first cliff base wingsuit jump. permemnantly.

no, i think i am at an acceptable level of crazy for now

i landed in a tree after a base jump. it took me a day to get the parachute out of the tree, but i jumped the next day. it makes you reflect on what you are doing and gave me a good healthy reality check

it is financially tough in terms in travel for me in base. i make several trips to europe per year to jump. the cost of high end suits and travel make it somewhat expensive, but not prohibitive.

i would like to continue jumping as long as i am healthy and able to do so.

i did 70 ws base jumps this year, and about 50 ws skydives this year.

crack
dont let life pass you by

I saw the video of Loic Jean-Albert vs the skiiers :D

I had 350 jumps or so, same instructor as Johan had cleared me to put on a penguin suit ;)

It's become easier to join the penguin club, in many ways a good thing but it's very easy to buy a suit you're in no way ready for, and it's somewhat easy to go fly without any instruction or supervision.

I'm always a bit tense if I haven't jumped for a week or more, for the first jump, no matter what type of jump.

This as in wingsuit? No, however I did have to promise my mother not do do what Loic was doing in that video :ph34r: Mom, I promise. Yes, seriously. B|
Or this, as in skydiving? Hmm, some more opposition to that, mostly from employers and the like.

yes.

Next is getting better at what I do (flying video for tandems, formation flying, canopy formation flying and wingsuit), not crazy as such, rather an ambition.

Got quite a few reserve rides, not much sweat there, a few weeks ago I had some problems with a landing, scared me more, also a close encounter with a glider under canopy at 1000ft and a gear problem just before jumping, both earlier this year got my heartrate up way high.

EUR 25/jump or so, but mostly I don't have to pay for my jumps, even so I spend quite a lot on equipment. It's tough financially yes, especially if you want to jump a lot and/or want to have the latest and greatest - if you want to keep up with wingsuit models alone that's quite a chunk of money per year...

As long as I'm able, mentally, physically and financially. No age restrictions as such, not when you're already a jumper.

200 jumps on average, more now that I'm getting paid to do tandem videos.

freedom!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

In reply.....

Whilst living and working in France in late 2008 to mid-2009 I discovered the wingsuit manufacturer S-Fly and that I could do a First Flight Course (FFC) at a Dropzone near me (under French Rules). I had done 169 jumps in 8 years up to 2009 but could start on the S-Fly Access suit with 150 and their B2 qualification. I put in a dozen or so at the French DZ to get happy and current and asked to do my first flight on my 188th jump. Why did I start? It looked cool, I could start to learn sooner than in the UK and hoped to take the discipline back with me to the UK (to set me apart from the rest).

My view of the sport of skydiving has not changed but has, perhaps, a little for wingsuiting. A one-off experience or desire to "jump-the-gun" and show off, maybe, has become an obsession. I have become hooked on wingsuiting with 80% of my jumps this year in a wingsuit; loving the freedom, the distance & speed, extended freefall, formation flying and acrobatics. My first 30 flights in the Access suit were on my own, which in hindsight was not good for me because I needed coaching input sooner to understand and improve my body position etc. I had no flat flying or freeflying formation experience prior to starting, which has become apparent doing WS formation stuff in the last few months. Having these skills before zipping yourself into a straight jacket and jumping out of an aeroplane (which I find calming) will allow you to advance quicker, in my opinion. However, everyone learns differently, and I am where I am and having fun trying to learn and improve with every jump.

No, the only thing I have ever worried about is the landings but a massive leap in my currency this year has almost solved that. I have, however, just downsized canopy and have to learn to handle the increase in speed. Nerves at being the one to screw-up the formation don’t count…lol.

Family and friends are all supportive of my wingsuiting although they don’t want me to smash myself up again after a low turn in 2004! They don’t want me to ever do BASE but I have no real desire to try that at present; I’m having too much fun wingsuiting in a skydiving environment.

I probably realised I was hooked after about a month when I realised I was jumping enough to stand a chance of geting qualified for an intermediate suit, under French rules, and taking my new skills home to the UK (and willing to concentrate solely on wingsuiting).

I want to become a consistent wingsuit formation flier, wingsuit from a hot air balloon and a helicopter, wingsuit night jump, try out the S-Fly suits above mine and, maybe, do a canopy piloting course. Lots of things, basically, but none of which I class as crazy!

My low turn in 2004, breaking a femur and 4 vertebra was close to killing me, I guess, but was my own mistake so easier to resolve in my head (as against anything being wrong with the sport of skydiving). Kit cut-off me by air ambulance was sent for repair whilst in hospital and got new jumpsuit made whilst on crutches even though I wouldn’t get to use them for 2 years as it turned out. The root cause of the low turn was a lapse in concentration, which I believe was due to fatigue from rushing around the UK the week beforehand and trying to squeeze in a jump. Hence, I manage my time better to jump safer (and more often etc.)!

At my home dropzone it is £19 per jump if you by a block of 10 tickets up to around £22 at another were I am not a member and just brought a single ticket. In France I think it was 24 Euros, maybe, if you didn’t block buy your tickets. In the UK qualification is around £1000-£1300, from scratch, plus £1500-£3500 for second-hand or new kit. Kit hire at the dropzone is around £10 per jump. Annual association membership is another £120, say, with £60 a year for a couple of reserve parachute repacks. Therefore, it can be a financial drain but you have to decide on your priorities. I’ve cut back on other sports and holidays to upgrade kit and borrowed a bit of money to keep jumping. I have been lucky that work has allowed me an income to keep jumping but know people who have had to stop jumping due to being made redundant.

My UK medical certificated is signed until I am 40 years old, I think, due to past accidents breaking bones but hope to continue for a couple more decades yet.

I’m hoping to get close to 200 jumps this year.

Nequeo, Latin: To be impossible…………Make of that what you will!! LOL!!

In 4 words: “There is no reason” from the film “Man on Wire” because it was something that made sense to him, to create something beautiful irrespective of it being seen, and that he wanted to do.

Blue Skies,

Gecko
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Forced at gunpoint.

Nope. I still think we're all assholes.

Sorry, what was that? Was just flexing in the mirror...

Yeah, I know some pussies.

I can quit anytime. I swear!

PCP.

Yes. It made me a skydiver.

When you add up the training, gear, flight, hookers, blow, and flamethrowers, it gets pricey.

18 in most states, depending on who you bribe.

10,000,million

Insecurity

I fell into it. I ran with the wrong crowd. They bullied me into it. I didn't inhale. Seriously, I talked to a couple of first flight instructors at the dropzone and I have a friend who started at the same time.

Yes. the sky became a three dimensional flight plan. Not falling down a tube. I think it improved my FS skills too but most people tell me I still flail more than fly.

I pee my pants every time I am in the door. My legs shake and my brain blanks. Seriously, it is not an either/or deal here. I am confident I can exit the plane and land safely. AND Fear exists on multiple levels. I think I keep it at manageable levels.

Look up "Problems with whuffos". The answer is Yes.

What!!? Hooked? Rush? Slow your horses brother. With all due respect, you are being a bit forward here. Its like me asking you "At what point after murdering your landlord did you hide the body?" This is the definition of a bad question. Not hooked and the "rush" is happiness at doing something relaxing with some good people.

Next? Getting better at this whole falling through the air. Maybe instructional rating to be able to get some more people into the glorious joy. Crazier? What is crazy about this? Do you walk around weddings and ask people "Is there anything "normaler" you want to try?"

2003 someone decided to go on a red light and almost got me, scary. Same year, went to a party and almost got fleeced into being the designated driver, Thank god one of the dudes was a Mormon!! Disaster avoided. Seriously, no

$54.82 seriously. I have the spreadsheet with all the expenses. I also have a post about my first boogie costs. I is nerdy that way.

As long as I can.

99.62 Jumps per year since May 2005. Again the nerdy comes out. I got the spreadsheet and all that.

Emergence
CheckYourGear (Its one word, I checked)
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers