bdrake529

iPhone GPS for jump logging?

You will have all the same issues you have with a regular GPS receiver inside the aircraft. Combined with the fact that it relies on cell tower communications to help locate itself at times. Cell tower signal generally drops off at 10k feet AGL +/-. The result is tracks with lots of noise and or huge location errors.

A few people have mentioned building a skydiving GPS App in the other forums and like I posted in those threads, it all boils down to the fact that a phone makes a less than ideal platform to use for a skydiving GPS logger. Especially when there are far better and smaller loggers out there. If you plan on never going above 10k, are in cell tower range all the time, will always have a clear view of the sky, then most of the GPS Apps in the App store will work "as is". If thats the case, then I would recommend Motion X as it can also send your tracks to your e-mail and be viewed in Google without having to install any additional software.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Calling all US wingsuiters with iPhones.

Jarno graciously tested the iPhone 3Gs for jump logging and wasn't pleased with the results.

But he's European, and we all know how much their opinion counts.... (I kid Jarno, I kid)

Seriously though, there may be something..uh...different about Europe (other than an aversion to using deodorant). Klaus (Vidiot, maker of Paralog) reported to me that in tests, he could not maintain a Bluetooth connection between a PDA and a BT GPS receiver upon exiting the plane. BT connection was there in plane, lost on exit, and wasn't resumed until under canopy. His best theory was that there was some sort of interference with the aircraft that disrupted the Bluetooth link.

But in my tests, I had no problem with this. Bluetooth connection was not disrupted and I maintained a BT link for the entire jump.

I'm not very technically minded, so I don't know why Klaus and I had different results.

A very superficial theory (shot-in-the-dark guess actually) is that something is different about aircraft in Germany/Europe than in the States. I mean, they use different wall plugs so perhaps something's different about their EMFs too...

Regardless of whether this guess has any merit, I would like to test the iPhone 3Gs again, here in the good 'ol US of A to either confirm Jarno's results, or add further circumstantial evidence that some things work differently 'cross the pond.

Any volunteers? I would just need you to download this free GPS tracker, Vela GPS Lite, set the track record to 1s, and make a jump. Then email the resulting GPX file to me (whole process is handled in the Vela GPS software).

If you can help, PM me or post here. I'll contact you and help if you've never jumped GPS before as there are specific considerations, even when jumping "tested" GPS loggers like the Foretrex and Wintec.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Drake

Call me crazy, but I trust that Klaus is slightly more tech savvy than that.

That he encountered problems upon repeated testing is cause for investigation.

That I didn't encounter these problems is cause for me to be happy, not to dismiss Klaus' report.
Brian Drake

The BT issue Klaus spoke to you about happened here in Arizona, I was on the load with him, and I'm sure he had the same issues there in Germany when he was testing it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well there goes the "German air is weird" theory. Were these tests in AZ from the Skyvan, Otter, or what?

Still, I did 3 test jumps and didn't have a problem. It may be the equipment involved.

But I'd still like to get some more iPhone tests before concluding that Jarno's tests are conclusive. I've got 2 volunteers so far, would be happy for as many as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Brian Drake