Bill_K

Wingsuit History and Progress...

I hope that Matt does not mind, but I just had to post this link. :)
I've spent hours poking through these pictures. It really is amazing to see how much suits designs have changed, how much the formations have changed, how much more precise the flying has become. Matt has put a lot of pictures over the last three years up and they are simply amazing. As a relative newbie to wing suiting, these pictures serve as a great history lesson for me.

Matt, thank you for taking the time to put them up. Hope you don't mind.

BK

I can't get to the link you posted:

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

I just noticed, I had a bunch of session crap in that URL. Please try this one.

designs haven't changed much over all. brands have just seen refinements.. some more so than others the the last few years.

precision has increased in skydiving wingsuiting, but not by much. It's much more so of the scale (amount of people) with some talent that was and that is now. it's partly due to many of us flying together throughout the year, where ever that may be.

the sport is growing fast. suck it up and travel more people:P

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

designs haven't changed much over all. brands have just seen refinements.. some more so than others the the last few years.

precision has increased in skydiving wingsuiting, but not by much. It's much more so of the scale (amount of people) with some talent that was and that is now. it's partly due to many of us flying together throughout the year, where ever that may be.

the sport is growing fast. suck it up and travel more people:P

To my inexperienced eye the refinements look like a lot of progress. I'm sure your dead on the mark about the number of people traveling and doing it together more and more. Easier said than done for some of us. I wish it were as easy as just sucking it up and doing it... [:/]

Of course I don't mind Bill, I'm glad somebody enjoyed my Facebook posting extravaganza. People kept asking for low-res copies of purchased prints to post in their galleries, and I finally realized I should just upload them all myself, and now everybody can tag away.

You and Zach are both right, to an extent. We've come a long way, and we've also gone nowhere. It really depends on your perspective. The things we're doing today should have been possible 3 years ago, and more should be possible now. The suits have evolved but can all still fly together, a Classic 1 (or how about an S.U.I.T) can fly beside a Super Duper XS 7 Extreme Plus Rev 2. People in the past have speculated about how magnificent and efficient wingsuits will be in the future, and despite how much I love flying them, I am objective about it: we have always been and always will be glidebombs... not planes or birds. We are not efficient flying machines, and that won't ever improve too much (and still meet the current definition and virtues of a wingsuit), but we have enough fun that it doesn't matter.

The biggest thing I get out of looking at my galleries from the past 3 years is just a huge sense of nostalgia, thinking about my own personal life throughout the past 3 years, how it has changed, and all the friends I've seen come and go, and those I still get to fly with regularly when I can afford to travel. ;)

www.WingsuitPhotos.com