Sangi

High performance wingsuit on a novice?

Hey,

I was wondering, what would happen if say a person with 100 skydives strapped on a V3 wingsuit?

Would the outcome would be pretty much the same as throwing out a person on his own who has never jumped?

If say a person with 100 skydives has a good tracking skills, would trying about an intermediate wingsuit (like Ghost or Phantom) be dangerous?

Sangi
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

This is the 3d thread TODAY on this subject. Give or change a few words in the formulation..

There is a wealth of information in the FAQ and the dozen other threads on people jumping beginner suits without hardly any experience. Ad to that a high performance wingsuit, and you should have a pretty good indication of the rough answer.

And you'll get one or two replies on people who did silly stuff, lived, and think it should be everyones mantra...

You living in the UK, and probably jumping under BPA rules puts some strict rules and regulations on you with regards to when and where you're even able to fly a wingsuit.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

There is a wealth of information in the FAQ a

Actually it says nothing I haven't read before and it doesn't answer this precise question :)

I think point #3 answers this question more than precise..
The suit being an advanced (big wing) model only ads to list the standard (skill/currency) demands..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

So what are wingsuit failures in freefall?

What I mean is for example a simple fall, you can get into a spin and it can be hard to get out...

What can happen with a wingsuit? Wouldn't tensing your body and holding it would straighten you out like arching fixes almost every tumbling kind of problem?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Shoot me a PM with your home DZ, and me or macca will put you in contact with a wingsuit flyer who can answer your questions up close and personal.

Getting a wingsuit flyer to talk about his wingsuit and every little aspect on flying is easier than finding on that will shut up about it for longer than 5 seconds;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Hey,

I was wondering, what would happen if say a person with 100 skydives strapped on a V3 wingsuit?

Would the outcome would be pretty much the same as throwing out a person on his own who has never jumped?

If say a person with 100 skydives has a good tracking skills, would trying about an intermediate wingsuit (like Ghost or Phantom) be dangerous?

Sangi

you will probably go into a monsterspin...a spin you never will got out of, a spin so fast as you rig will rip of you body and you will DIE DIE!!!!!!!!!:o

"Dream as you`ll live today, live as you`ll die in 100 year" George Bush

Wouldn't tensing your body and holding it would straighten you out like arching fixes almost every tumbling kind of problem?

You'd think, wouldn't you?

Unfortunately reality is a little different. Using that technique with a Vampire will actually make you go so fast forwards that you'll explode on opening.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I would expect an unstable deployment at the very least.

Unstable deployments are not good.

Assuming adequate ground training in both cases, no. Throwing out persons on their own for their first jump used to be standard practice in certain military circles. Yes, they really did 10' freefalls solo as a first jump (with more than one mechanical/electronical friend).

I would still expect the V3 jumper to open while unstable.

Contradicting yourself here. A Ghost is not an intermediate wingsuit. An advanced wingsuit and a beginner pilot do not add up to an intermediate performance, they add up to carnage. Besides, any jump is dangerous. So that would be a yes.

I am imagining two scenarios right now.

In the first one, an underexperienced pilot takes up wingsuiting, messes up but lives and gets to spend three months in the hospital and six months on the ground. This gives him time to answer all the stupid questions for us, which would be good. :)
The second scenario has all of us having to go out with a spatula to scrape some dumbf*ck off the ground. Again. This would not be good. :(
Johan.
I am. I think.

What can happen with a wingsuit? Wouldn't tensing your body and holding it would straighten you out like arching fixes almost every tumbling kind of problem?

I once spent 3000' of altitude on seeing if that would work. After 3000', I was still spinning stably on my back. Refer back to the unstable deployment scenario posted above.

Arching fixes almost every kind of tumbling (though not even all); tensing your body fixes almost no kind of instability in a wingsuit.

What's the worst that can happen? Refer back to the spatula scenario posted above.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Well, I'm not planning on flying one myself, I wouldn't be able to anyway...

I was just wondering.. "what if..."

What if .. people would stop trolling for Christmas? :)
So why aren't you planning on flying one yourself? Start planning now, meanwhile shut up and jump! Summer 2010 you will be able to .. and it's more fun than trolling dizzydotcom. :P
Johan.
I am. I think.

You living in the UK ..

Actually, in his profile he's listing his Home DZ as somewhere in Lithuania. :o:SB|

I know..but just sending someone a note and asking about them teaches you a lot more than judging them by their profile:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Well, I'm not planning on flying one myself, I wouldn't be able to anyway...

I was just wondering.. "what if..."

Do this, and ye shall likey be a dead newbee wingsuiter.. no need to say anything other than go jump your ass off, then we'll help. just posing the question makes other people think its acceptable. It would be a very bad experience for you my friend. welcome to skydiving.. go jump~ and you now owe beer for the first dumbest thing ive heard today... gentlemen, the beer light is on~
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography