linestretch

bent sigma reserve pins

So far (in my limited rigging experience) I've come to the decision that I need less tools, not more.

I think that better tools, not more tools is even cooler
I think it could replace a spring scale and still hold its own as a leverage device.. what do you think?
Take care,
trace

To Riggers; What if one could control (within 1-2%) the force applied with a leverage device so one could be certain not to exceed the forces stated? Would you buy it?

space

If you can only pull with a limited force, closing will be more difficult. Also I think a lot of riggers rely on the fact that the pull force does decrease notably after a few days or jumps. Even if this actually means that the pull force is to high in the first couple of jumps.
Also Hook, I've never broken a reserve loop but I definitely think it is possible to pack a reserve with a pull force exceeding the limit of 10 kg. Especially on a two sprint rig.

Also Hook, I've never broken a reserve loop but I definitely think it is possible to pack a reserve with a pull force exceeding the limit of 10 kg. Especially on a two sprint rig.

I agree it is possible, more possible for some rigs than others. If I suspect a high pull force, I check it.

The problem is that the amount of force to pull the closing loop up through the last grommet is completely different from pull force required to pull the RC pin out of the loop. A 22 lb force on the loop doesn't translate to a 22 lb force to extract the pin.

I haven't broken a loop in a long time, but I broke several on my old Javelin XRS.

Derek

We've seen wear on the Reserve flap window as well. That is just normal wear and tear on the rigs. RWS makes that evident with how easy it is to replace this window and how cheap they are to get replacements.

The Cypress window is pretty close to this, but it is hareder to replace. I suspect that the Reserve windows have been replaced a couple times and are showing less wear.

I'm not sure what is causing this bend. My only other idea is the packing of them. From the Sigma manual, the main is closed from a position on the reserve. Watch the packers. If they are sitting on the reserve to get enough leverage to pull all four main flaps closed, this may contribute. As the main closing loop wears, it shrinks. This combined with the fact that most packers are not used to closing all four flaps at the same time can make the main closing really hard. The easy solution is to replace the main closing loop before it looks like it is worn. I'm guessing that main closing loops are cheaper than replacement reserve pins.

I'm not sure if this is the cause, but sitting on the reserve flap will apply pressure to the pin and the ripcors end terminal against the last grommet. If these are sitting in a strange position it may cause some of the bending that you're seeing.

Good luck with this, and please let us know what comes of your research.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

I'm not sure what is causing this bend. My only other idea is the packing of them. From the Sigma manual, the main is closed from a position on the reserve. Watch the packers. If they are sitting on the reserve to get enough leverage to pull all four main flaps closed, this may contribute. As the main closing loop wears, it shrinks. This combined with the fact that most packers are not used to closing all four flaps at the same time can make the main closing really hard. The easy solution is to replace the main closing loop before it looks like it is worn. I'm guessing that main closing loops are cheaper than replacement reserve pins.

I hadn't thought of this angle, but it's something that bears watching. Packers are using different techniques to close the rigs, and that may be a contributing factor.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The bent pin we had wouldn't have been caused by that, it happened while I was the primary tandem packer and I didn't do that.

Basically, the folks invovled at the DZ couldn't come up with a specific instance or reason why it bent, we thought it was just a bad pin.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."