Teixido

Opinions Etrex Vista HCX GPS for WS?

Since some time now i have been looking for a gps that I can use for logging tracks while skydiving (WS/tracking and canopy flight) and on my bike/motorcycle.

Is there someone on here with experience with Garmin Etrex Vista HCX or maybe GPSmap 60CSX?

I want to be able to review tracks with google earth. Also information about ascent/descent rates would be interesting (I know these are not logged with the above units).

Would love to hear opinions/experiences.

Too big I have a GPSMAP 76CSX and planned to use it with a remote antenna (glued to helmet) and use it for genral trekking. It works great for trekking but simply not worth the effort for wing suits IMO. I used an Edge 305/205 and they worked well for me. Also used one of the foretrex units...and the WBT 201 units.

My favorite GPS unit for wingsuit use is the edge.

Kris

I have used both of those receivers. Both good choices if you want to use your GPS receiver for something other than just skydiving. However, if you're only interested in using a GPS receiver for your skydives there are better and cheaper alternatives out there. For cost,size and performance the WinTec WBT 201 is hard to beat currently. Paralog is also the software your likely to find the most useful to you for what you want to do.

Do a search on GPS in this forum and you will find a good deal of information on both Paralog and GPS receivers.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey,

I have owned 3 different Garmin Etrex series GPS's. The Original Etrex, the Legend and more recently the Vista HCX.

The etrex I sold to buy the Legend, which I had for 3 years, then recently threw it from my grasp while on a skydive (long story). I bought the Vista to replace it.

The Vista is PHENOMINAL! It keeps a signal in my concrete UNDERGROUND parking garage. I can map my apartment. It WILL hold a signal in the plane, under your wingsuit or wherever you mount it. It is extremely impressive...and quick.

I haven't had a chance to jump it yet, but it seems to do what i want. Map it to Google earth. See my descent rate, speed etc...

Msg me if you're looking for more info.

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."