ajmclean

PD ZP AND NON-ZP HARD OPENINGS

Just jumped a PD210(non-ZP) twice and I have the bruises to prove it. The openings were equivalent to being at Ground Zero during a nuclear explosion! I just got back into jumping and now have 76 jumps. Naked body weight is 235lbs and I'm 6'1'' tall(starting Atkins Diet soon!). I'm thinking about buying a used Sabre210 but I hear and read a lot of people have hard openings with these canopies as well. Is this a PD problem or what? What else would be a good ZP canopy for me? It seems like the new Sabre2's have other problems as well. Recommendations?????
Mack The Knife
"IT IS SAID THAT THE WARRIOR'S IS THE TWOFOLD WAY OF PEN AND SWORD, AND HE SHOULD HAVE A TASTE FOR BOTH WAYS." MIYAMOTO MUSASHI, A BOOK OF FIVE RINGS.

Don't jump an all F111 210 anymore. Please. You're loading that at about 1.3 - they weren't designed to be loaded over about 1.0.

Any canopy can open hard - I had a hard enough opening on a Spectre to break two lines, and Spectres are known for soft openings. Any canopy can open off heading - that's often due to pilot or packing error, not a problem with the canopy.

I'd recommend demoing a few different canopies before buying anything. Buy the canopy that you enjoy flying, and size it so you can land it safely in no wind, crosswind, downwind, into a tight landing area and when someone cuts you off on final.

Lisa,
How does a canopy open off-heading? I assume this means in a different direction from the heading of the skydiver, yes? So if a good body position is maintained during deployment (as I usually do), what is going wrong?
Also, what about the many stories about the Sabre's proclivity for hard openings? Is that packing or pilot error too?

Thanks,
Mack
Mack The Knife
"IT IS SAID THAT THE WARRIOR'S IS THE TWOFOLD WAY OF PEN AND SWORD, AND HE SHOULD HAVE A TASTE FOR BOTH WAYS." MIYAMOTO MUSASHI, A BOOK OF FIVE RINGS.

Assuming good body position an off heading opening can happen in any number of ways. Usually associated w/ not having the slider up against the stops when packing. In addition to a harder opening it leads to an uneven inflation of the canopy. Or the canopy could have line trim issues.

I suspect the stories about the original Sabre were mostly associated w/ packing. One friend tamed his Sabre by flat-packing the canopy. Others got very specific training/instruction from PD on how to pack the Sabre.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Heya AJ:

Lisa' got it right about the over 1:1 issue - I fly old F111 near 1:1 and I feel I'm on the edge. Well over 1:1 under fresh ZP is easy by comparaison.

I also have some experience on a Sabre 210 (you've got about 50 lbs on me). You'll find that zippy at that wingloading but much more acceptable than the PD you flew. So long as your DZO likes you on that wingloading, go for it.

You'll liklely find the openings similar to the F-111 PD you flew (I've also flown PD 210 and 230's) as there is a family resemblance. Be mindful of your packing and get someone on DZ who knows Sabres to show yout the tricks if you wind up buying it. As your 'first' canopy, it would be a good choice. There are lots opf highe performance canopies out there but starting out on a square Sabre is not shameful. Ignore those who say you should fly "the latest and greatest because... " - there's nothing wrong with the original Sabre. You may get slammed on occasion but careful packing will minimize the occurances to as infrequent as any other canopy.

Dave.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

The Sabre 1 is known for slamming people (rightly or wrongly). The Sabre 2 is an entirely different canopy and is defiantly not know for hard openings.

There has been a long thread on here about the Sabre 2 regularly giving off heading openings. Given the number of people experiencing this there may well be something more to it than packing or body pos but we don’t know, the jury’s still out on it. Normally though, bad body pos on opening or poor packing will cause an off heading opening. (you’re right, this is where your canopy faces one way and your body faces another).

Do a search for hard openings or slammers. There’s plenty of threads on here. The primary cause is a packing error. Some canopies are known to have long snively openings and others known for very fast openings. Most canopies opening characteristics can be changed by simply altering your packing method.