hjumper33

All around GPS

Looking to buy a new GPS that can track my horizontal and vertical speed, function when im hiking in the middle of nowhere, and sit on my dash when im lost in the middle of somewhere. All that, and id like something relatively cheap as far as GPS goes. Any suggestions?

Cool device, though it's not as portable as the Garmin Foretrex 201.

But the 201 does not have any map functions, which, I understood was one the original poster's wishes? To be able to use as a car navigation?
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

sit on my dash when im lost in the middle of somewhere. All that, and id like something relatively cheap as far as GPS goes

That analogy packers use about "cheap,fast, and good" on DZs also applies here.

A GPS receiver that you sit on the dash and read is not going to be the best choice for skydiving nor is it going to be cheap. My suggestion is to get a GPS receiver within your price range( lets say and Etrex vista) with the PC and cigarette adapter plug cables(sold seperately) and your current laptop. By itself the Etrex will work great for skydiving and they can be had for relatively cheap($100-200) on e-bay or other GPS sites. For on the road, you can attach the GPS to your laptop via the cables I mentioned and use the full screen to see where you are going which is considerably larger than any of the $700-1000 models out there. The only difference is that it wont talk to you or show you how many ice cream parlors are close to you. The other nice feature is that you also have the option of using any mapping program you want besides Garmin's, so you could even use downloaded sattelite imagery or Topos with one of many free mapping programs out there.

I have used this method to navigate while in Afghanistan and in most of Central and South America with good results. With that said look at GPS receivers that have the ability to connect to a laptop( for downloading your flights as well as navigating on the road) and or external antenna features.

A few of the GPS receivers I have used to do this:

Garmin Etrex Vista
Garmin GPS 111
Garmin GPS V
Garmin Gpsmaps 60 series
Garmin Gpsmap 76 series
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING