glyrenden

BM Impact

Ok so I have searched the site for info but couldn't find it.
so here is my questions

I really want to get in to Wingsuits I just building jump numbers and doing tracking dives right now.

I saw the Impact suit and wondered if that is something that I could jump now or is it considered a wing suit?

I have been talking to people at perris but I haven't found anyone who knows about the impact suit.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

I wouldn't bother.

Spend your time:

i) Learning to freefly (backfly in particular - it is a useful recovery position)
ii) Learning to get into a really good track out of the door
iii) Building awareness of where you are in relation to the LZ, jump-run throughout the skydive

The better you are at these, the more enjoyable your wingsuit flights will be.

Don't underestimate a tracking suit btw. ;)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

There was a fairly long thread on the suit where many experienced wingsuit pilots equated the Impact's performance/twitchiness/etc. to an entry-level wingsuit. It seems that one could get into trouble with the Impact just as easily as with a small wingsuit.

I could be remembering incorrectly, though. Don't take my word for it.

[edit:]

Found the link. Give this thread a gander, be sure to pay attention to Jarno's posts.

Having just given it a once-over, I see that at one point he puts the "necessary experience" level at the wingsuit range[200] and at another point he puts it at the tracking suit range [60]. YMMV.

Be sure to hunt down a BMI or PFI at Perris to chat.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Having just given it a once-over, I see that at one point he puts the "necessary experience" level at the wingsuit range[200] and at another point he puts it at the tracking suit range [60]. YMMV.

The '60 jumps' is what most people would say 'is enough' and what seems to be recomended at minimum for tracking suits.
The trouble you could get into (other canopys/getting 'lost'/freefallers etc) due to the massive amount of distance you can travel, makes me think more jumps (be it 200..be it whatever number) seems to just make your jumping safer..

why rush things...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Just to add, I have nearly 400 jumps including camera, rw and free-fly and consider this a pretty advanced suit with many new added performance dynamics that need to get used to.

I am also very conservative however and with almost 10 jumps on the suit now I have not yet tried the leg wing insert with no timeline on when I might put it on. I find that it takes alot more concentration to fly the suit properly and with stability which I am not nearly ready to do on its own. I feel as if I am just starting to explore the suit and nowhere near reaching the limit required before adding in the wing.

I would think that there should be minimum recommended jump numbers of at least 200 jumps and maybe even a bit of instruction for this type of suit. It is definitely something new and as such I would think that treating it as another potential way to get into trouble is essential especially for new skydivers who have not done alot of tracking.

It can also potentially add complication during opening such as being more unstable and then there are the booties to contend with and the wing if it is in place.

Of course there are many who might say that this is just another suit which adds nothing really new and anyone can use it but this is just my opinion.

The suit is however great fun to use and for me it really feels more like flying until I graduate one day to a proper Wing-suit B|.

Blue Skies
Neil

It can also potentially add complication during opening such as being more unstable and then there are the booties to contend with and the wing if it is in place

Actually none of the things you mentioned make the jump more complicated. If getting into the box man position from a tracking position is an issue that person needs to re-examine their basic freefall skills. The booties are no different than the booties on a RW suit, you can land with them still on your feet if you choose. Same thing goes with the leg wing. There is no need to do anything with it afterwards. You can land with it attached and even run it out if needed. You can deploy from the standard box man position with the leg wing attached no problem as well.

It goes without saying that a person should at least have the fundamentals of tracking down before considering any kind of tracking suit and of course be familiar and able to deal with instability issues should they arise. Of greater concern is a trackers ability to navigate over the ground and be situationaly aware of where they are and others on the load to avoid traffic issues.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING