arai

Phoenix Jacket + Pants

Okay so its not a wingsuit, but it was my first chance to try tracking in something other than shorts and a tshirt and wow what a difference.

I was able to try out the pf jacket and pants this past weekend and had a blast when a set was loaned to me for the afternoon. It definitly felt different than a normal track and felt closer to what I had imagined a wingsuit might feel like, just in terms of how your movements affect your flight etc.

When I had first seen the prodigy I was hoping it fell in the category of something I could get started on before the 200 jump minimum recomended, but after looking into it found that it still fell into that category.

So I'm thinking of getting the pf pants and jacket in the interm as it was great to fly and I had a lot of fun.

Anyway, I've read through all the pf jacket threads I could find so I dont really have any questions, just had a great weekend and got a chance to try out something new which made my day.

-arai-

Congrats man, learn to fly them well and you will be able to go on some flocks if you're not too big or the forward speed isn't too high. Or convince a friend to buy a suit also. I haven't tried an Impact (I haven't tried EITHER tracking suit actually), but you might want to try both before buying one.

Many local wingsuit pilots near you?

Or just go solo and have fun. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'm built for tracking and wingsuits, or so I've been told (tall and lanky)

theres a few wingsuits around here, not a large number, but if I get good with the track pants I might be able to get a bird or two to come and play in the air

I think it would be unlikely I'd be able to try out the impact system as I've definitly never seen one around my dz and I'm not able to travel a lot right now, but I'll have a look throught the pages for more info on it, the pf suit also has the edge price wise.

I'm planning a trip down to a big dz this fall to try and get a lot of jumping in when it gets cloudy and colder here.

I'm just waiting for my stupid rig to be ready, my cypress was on its 4 year check when they found something wrong and had to send it back to germany so I'm patiently waiting its return.

If you are up in BC come on down next weekend to the Mt Vernon Boogie in WA (see events section under Skydiver Blonde) There are somewhat credible rumors that a number of Birdies are expected to be there. If nothing else it might give you a chance to talk in person to some flockers and get some advice. If your profile is correct and you only have ~50 or so jumps the Tracking suit might be a great option compared to a wingsuit. Your not really even close to manufacturer recomended wingsuit suggestions.. (not sure on the tracking suit). Dave P , I think said he had a Tracking suit while in Oregon last week. He is planning on being at the boogie..

Just tossing it out there and it is always nce to gleen some info when you can in person!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Although tracking skills are certainly invaluable when wanting to wingsuit (and in general too LOL), if you only jump a tracking suit, and mostly solo at that, you're going to miss a lot of other basic skills you'll need for wingsuiting, like diving to a formation, taking docks, etc. You wouldn't be the first to have to figure out when to brake etc while closing in on a wingsuit formation high speed. Not safe...

My sugestion would be to stick with belly flying for the next couple hundred jumps, learn the basics that way.

Sort of the same why you shouldn't go straight to freeflying, IMO.

The tracking suit is fun and you will learn a lot, but you'l be much safer with solid RW skills. Save the tracksuit for sunset tracking jumps ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

thanks for the reply's, I'm definatly trying to be well rounded in my development so I'm not going to focus soley on one type of jump.

I tried the tracking suit a couple more jumps this past weekend, and I got my fall rates down to the 74 mph range, but I know I can get better still. I think with a couple more jumps I'll be able to dip into the 60's and keep it there. Still experimenting with the body positions, and I think I might put in that tension system a few guys in the base forum have got going in their suits.

also working hard to get some rw type jumps to get better at making corrections and flying with other people

-arai-

I'm built for tracking and wingsuits, or so I've been told (tall and lanky)

tall and lanky is definately good....tall and lanky with long legs is even better ;)...for wingsuits anyway. Or maybe I just say it because I have long legs :P.

Try not to look at vertical fall rate so much. Think about distance as well. A GPS is a good investment....the down side is if you fly well...you will fly alone a lot.

Kris.

yeah I'd love to get a gps, but right now its on my "to get" list, haha along with a whole lotta skydiving gear.

Though I do think that with the phoenix pants you need forward speed to get the slow fall rate. It feels like I'm rocketing along pretty good as I cover a lot of ground and have had to work in a wingsuit like flight plan. I find I hit what feels like the sweet spot when I'm in a bit of a head down attitude

the gps would be a nice addition, and its on my wishlist of things that will continue to take my paychecks as long as I'm skydiving ;)

-arai-

Hi Arai, I got my Bird-man impact tracking suit last week and had a few jumps on it. Having no expereince with any other suits or with a proper wingsuit I cant say how it compares but I must say that I really enjoy the suit and it feels alot more like flying than just falling to me. I am sure that the PF suit is much the same and I am also looking at progressing from this to a proper wingsuit someday the same as you which I think is a great way to get into winguit flying for the more novice flyer.

Cheers
Neil