kallend

Upgrade or no?

I've been flying a Skyflier (original, not S3) with wingtip grippers added, for about 18 months now. Not many birds around here, so mostly I do solos. My fall rate is typically in the low 50s or high 40s, and I can cover about 3 miles (maybe a little more) on a typical jump from 13.5

How would I fare in a flock with the newer designs? If I upgraded, what sort of performance increase might be typical? Do the wider legwings of the more modern designs lead to more lateral stability?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As long as you're not the lowest, slowest bird in the flock, you won't notice much difference. Your numbers sound good to me, and are better than most of my flights in an S3-S. Of course, I don't care much for numbers. It's the flying I like.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

If you're in an original skyflyer(1), then the wider leg-stance you'll find on almost all the higher range suits (S3, S6, V1, V2) will be quite a big difference, stabilty-wise...both in flocking and max flight..

*edit*

I didnt have my own suit with me in Empuria last month, so I jumped a Skyflyer 1 a bunch of times, and definately had more trouble chasing a 1st timer, compared to what I'm used to in a bigger suit.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Having flown with you at last years Summerfest, I can say that you are squeezing all there is out of the suit you have and are a very efficient flyer. A larger suit will give you more range and will be easier for you to fly. Initially, your performance level may drop a bit as you adjust to the new suit but it will soon return after a few flights. I should have an S3 series suit that will fit you at this years Sumerfest that you are welcome to try out.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Dear Prof,

In addition to the new S series of suits, definately give the V series of suits a go. And the phantom.....my flights on the phantom are between 12K(exit) and pitch is between 6.3 and 5.7K, these last between 90 and 100 secs covering around 2.3-2.5 miles. That is 50 mph(typical) to high 40's fall rate and it includes a high speed turn(12 secs )...see picture. My focus is on maximizing glide not time.

You would have to work to get down to a flock with people wearing similar suits...you fly far too efficiently B|.

Kris.

Kris, why are you pulling @ 6k? (sorry for thread drift)

To put it simply....

a) Create horizontal separation with tandems.
b) Create Vertical separation with tandems.
c) I don't enjoy flying alone looking forward...this will be explained in another thread. a and b are now very important because I am prefer not to look where I am going(when flying for max glide).

Don't assume that I am flying blindly. I look forward several times during the journey back....and this takes away from flying for max glide so usally by 6K I give up and pull. The way I am flying my pattern and the pull altitude always puts me farther away from the DZ than the tandems.

Here is another pattern that shows correction at the very end to create seperation.

Kris.

To put it simply....

a) Create horizontal separation with tandems.
b) Create Vertical separation with tandems.
c) I don't enjoy flying alone looking forward...this will be explained in another thread. a and b are now very important because I am not looking where I am going.

a) How can you be sure you have horizontal separation if you aren't looking where you are going?
b) Vertical separation is worthless in terms of safety.
c) I assume you are practising for Max glide, but it doesn't take much to check where you are headed every now and again. You can't hold max glide all the way down to 3k anyway, so it would be safer to continue flying after 6k (even if it's fairly relaxed flying) and have a look at where the rest of the load is.

Not a bad idea Kris. I will admit that once or twice when I was first learning how to fly efficiently, I realized how easy it is to do an "unplanned" buzz when trying to get those last 15 seconds out and flying down to 3k looking at your toes instead of where you are going. Now I always look forward below 6k or so but you're right, it's not as fun because I can feel all the drag my face is causing. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com