saltlakedrop

Super new and have a HARD opening question

Ok folks. I'm so sorry if this is a dumb dumb question, but want to have a little knowledge before I go in for my lvl 4 on tuesday. Keep in mind I didnt tell my instructor about this (except for telling him chest strap rode a little high) because he was swamped that day and didnt want to look like a big baby.

Ok, the basic question is. Does packing make a difference in canopy opening strength or yank? Sorry if I dont know the proper terms yet. Oh, and did a search, but didnt find anything similar.

You see, We had class and scheduled our lvl 3 jumps. FUN FUN by the way.. Except..

We jump out, do my COA's PRCP's and trim. All is well and at 5000 i signal and pull...

HOLY HELL!! WHAM!! I felt like I was being torn in half. Probably 3 or 4 times the yank of my 2 tandems. The chest strap rode up and the altimeter and radio whacked me in the throat and stayed there (still hurts like hell today), I have some serious bruises from the straps and felt like I had almost all the wind knocked out of me. I know I was in a perfect arch when I pulled. The instructor was right there.

The pilot chute also ended up wrapped over the front. Don't know if that was the cause, but luckily I had no control probs and except for an early flare, my landing was good.

Is this normal? I was on a Telesis Nav260. I weigh about 188 and am 6'2".. The chest straps were set to large.

So, anyways.. normal, not normal, packing issue? Should I even tell my instructor about it when I go back. I mean, honestly, I felt dizzy for like 30 seconds after and it hurt like hell.

Thanks,

Dave B|

If you felt dizzy, it's your responsibility to tell your instructors. You owe it them, the sport, and yourself, to inform them of someting like this.

Good luck.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You can control how hard a canopy opens by packing technique, but it also sounds like your harness wasn't sized/adjusted properly. Your chest strap shouldn't be able to ride up that high. Ask your instructor to make sure the main lift web is adjusted properly. As far as packing, I assume you didn't pack it yourself. Hard openings just happen every once in a while. When you're packing yourself, ask what you can do to ensure your openings are nice and soft.

The pilot chute over the nose is probably no big deal. Happened to me a bunch of times when I was jumping student rigs with ripcords (I assume you're using a spring loaded pilot chute). The extra weight of the spring gives it some inertia that can send it over the nose during opening or a quick maneuver. As long as it's not causing the canopy to deform at all, it's not gonna do anything.

Dave

a hard opening like that, believe it or not, is a malfuntion. Parachutes are not meant to open that hard, and you should always inform your instructors of anything you think is isn't the way it's supposed to be. That's what they're there for. It could have been your body position on opening, or it could have been packing error. Either way, tell your instructor(s) when you see them next. If it was body position (which I'm told most of the time it is), they can help you to remain in a proper belly to earth position during deployment. Sometimes newer students (I did this), will either wind up in a more head up or head down position when they pull, increasing fall rate.

I had problems with the radio and chest alti in my face all the time with student gear too. One thing I'd recommend making sure of - most student gear have adjustable Main lift webbing. The instructors should be checking to make sure it's adjusted right for your size, but my instructors never checked and i have never seen an instructor check this. I got the impression it's your responsibilty to check, but how the heck was I supposed to know to check that?!?!

Just something to check that may solve that problem. The chest strap should stay down on the chest - it's not a face strap.

Blue skies and good luck!
Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Hey guys.. THANKS. I think i may have posted this in the wrong area, but its cool to hear that it happens.

Don't get me wrong. The guys at this drop zone are TOP NOTCH. I mean, they went over everything 10 times and even asked if everything felt right. I'll bring it up next time to make sure my chest strap stays in the chest area :P

As for the hard opening. Perhaps it was just a fluke. I'll have a better comparison come tuesday when I do my level 4.

Ok folks. I'm so sorry if this is a dumb dumb question, but want to have a little knowledge before I go in for my lvl 4 on tuesday. Keep in mind I didnt tell my instructor about this (except for telling him chest strap rode a little high) because he was swamped that day and didnt want to look like a big baby.

hey dave! :)
i just wanted to address something really quickly, though. you made the comment above about your instructor being swamped and you not wanting to look like a "baby." you know what? it's okay to talk to your instructor about stuff. matter of fact, i bet he/she would much prefer you ask them instead of wondering about something and keeping it to yourself.

we all have to ask questions to learn things, especially in this sport. so please, if you have any questions AT ALL, do not hesitate to ask them. most of them really are there to help and want to see you do well. Asking questions helps you learn and there's nothing wrong with it - regardless of how busy they are. if they're way busy, then they should answer it when they have the time...and before your next jump. :) if they forget, just remind them. sometimes they do just that - forget.

with that said, best of luck on your next jump and i hope you have the softest opening ever.

blues,
arlo

There is no such thing as a dumb question. A good time to bring this up would have been at the debrief.
It would be better to be a big baby then to be a dead baby. Always ask questions and keep asking until you understand the answer.

never pull low......unless you are

I would make friends with the packers at the dz and when something like that happens ask wich one packed it and let him know it whacked the crap out of you. Some of the hardest openings I have had are from packers packing student gear who just crap pack it as fast as they can. (The hardest one I have had is still mine :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"