Fordy

High altitude wingsuit flights.

How far did you make it [horizontally]?

Calm down, somehow I don't think they intended the jump for performance, since you can see the runway from the exit shot. ;)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Bloody hell Fordy you beat me home, and you trip was no doubt a lot easier ;)

As for time and data, we have to load some new maps to the GPS and analyse the data this week to get all the specifics before we know exact time and distance, lets just say it was long and very very cold.

Thanks for the filmwork Andy.

Cheers

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

the flight felt like forever, iv'e done a few 3+ minute flights and after looking at my alti at 10k i was thinking aaaaahh this is gonna snap my arms off:D

Even after very carefull prep with quality equipment the unexpected still happens, every couple of breaths the valve froze enough to stop exhilation, i was worried about inhaling but this was just as un-nerving, forcing the air out that then freezes in the mask.

i would recomend to anyone to go and make a hi alt jump for the experiance.

The O2 cylinder placement can be tricky with a wingsuit, frasers GS-1 was roomy enough to strap it inside but the S3 is a little fitting for that;)

all in all well worth the effort.

Image of GS-1 Rig box with BOC in view and image from above GS-1
Fordy

every couple of breaths the valve froze enough to stop exhilation, i was worried about inhaling but this was just as un-nerving, forcing the air out that then freezes in the mask.

It's a little hard to tell from the pics but it appears your friend has the MBU 5 O2 mask and Fordy yours appears to be the MBU 14 or 12. The MBU 5 is an old version and it did have a tendency to have the one way valve stick some times when one exhales. You shouldn't have that problem with the 12/14 model if it has been properly maintained.The only thing that might have influenced that is if you were using anything other that aviation O2. All other versions of O2(medical, welding, etc) have a higher water content and freezing is an issue which is why it shouldn't be used. I had the same problem with a mask once while in the chamber during the rapid ascent phase. It can be quite the suffercating feeling when you can't seem to breath correctly with your mask on. Nice pics, I look forward to hearing your flight times and distances.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The equipment we used was identical, as for o2 it was aviation and 99.99% dry hence rough throat feeling afterwards. As for the moisture the jump master and HALO expert Tad Smith had said this was a possibility, the freezing happened to all of us using the wingsuit so attitude might have been an issue. However the o2 feed worked just the exhalation valve was a nause. Temp was -28C before windchill and holding position even after lots of prep and static strength excersize etc was hard.

However a great experience and a big thank you to Airtec for the loan of Mil Cypres for the jump and Jii Wings for the GS1, Andy for all the filming and Skydance for arranging the HALO jumps.

More to follow when we have all data and footage developed etc.

Cheers

Fraser

What Scott said. It was very, very common for me to "blow by" my mask on exhalation on HALO jumps above about 20k. I am not sure if it was a product of a faulty valve or just the fact that the regulator kicks up the positive pressure so high at that altitude that you are sort of taking in the air like "drinking from a firehose". Any way you look at it, I really hate the effect and it positively sucks to have the blow-by fog up your goggles at altitude when you have a ton of shit strapped to you.

Not sure what you guys used for bottles and fittings, but I can tell you that the best place to put a "standard" set of twin 53's is to hang them sideways under your rig by the laterals and route the hose (and AirOx 8) inside the suit through the hole that your legstrap hardware goes through. Still, there are far, far tidier setups to use these days and I doubt I would consider regular HALO bailout bottles for any wingsuit altitude jumps these days. The stuff that Mike Forsythe uses is much smaller, is good for five minutes after activation, and is actually really cheap to buy (like $300).

Chuck

I fitted the bottle inside the rig and down my left leg which was pretty comfortable off the left lateral, Andy was set up as you said as there was not enough room inside on his suit. And yes blowing out past my right eye on exhalation did suck, at least the O2 did not freeze up:)

5 minutes might be good for lower altitude, but if you get any kind of delay at altitude, which can happen or your waiting for other jumpers to get out, you may chew into that 5 minutes and find yourself short on O2. For normal freefall with a faster fall rate you should be fine if your 2 minute call is spoy on and you have another 3 mins. But with the wingsuits personally i would not want to be mid flight and sucking on empty.

You have quite enough to think about without trying to remove your mask or break seal in freefall with a wingsuit on.

Cheers

Fraser

The stuff that Mike Forsythe uses is much smaller, is good for five minutes after activation, and is actually really cheap to buy (like $300).

Do you have any more details of what he uses and a website or other info on where we can get hold of it.

Shoot him a PM. He goes by "mikeforsythe" now here on dizzy.