whatever

tricks are for (big) kids (with wings) ?!! - wingsuit acrobatics

I recently managed my first backflip while flying my S3, so I'm looking for pointers on wingsuit acrobatics.

here's what I've managed:

frontflips
-quite easy, took a while to consistently keep both booties on and staying on heading is work

barrel rolls
-fairly easy too, can go with wings all out, or totally collapsed, can do backfly-barrel roll-backfly pretty easy too

half barrel rolls
-not quite as simple as full barrel rolls, but not too hard

360s
-fun as hell and not too hard, took a long time to get them to rotate fast and stop on heading

backflips
-these I find really hard to do. any pointers much appreciated!!

on a related topic, I'm also getting into wingsuit hybrid jumps now (for lack of a better term), where a non-wingsuit jumper flies docked with the wingsuit jumper in a non-rodeo configuration and I am aware of the totem-pole configuration, have heard mention of a backfly-chest strap / MLW grip passenger underneath setup and I have one successful hybrid that is neither of those two.... :P

I'm always looking to improve my wingsuit skills and learn new stuff, all you wingsuit pilots out there with pointers/feedback/ideas, please chime in!

thanks
sam

soon to be gone

My favorite maneuver so far is doing a gainer exit facing the tail, transitioning to head down flight, acquiring great speed in 10 seconds and pulling out of the dive "flaring" as hard as you can (takes a lot of arm strength). Using the excess speed, you can do nice carving turns with little loss of altitude, barrel rolls, etc. This is totally schweeeeet!!!!!!!

If one had smoke cans on both hands, the view would be simply awesome. Like a small jet fighter doing acrobatics. Blue Angels, nylon version. B|

If one had smoke cans on both hands, the view would be simply awesome. Like a small jet fighter doing acrobatics. Blue Angels, nylon version. B|

We normally wear smoke on our feet, wearing them on your hands will be a totally different show I believe :)

on a related topic, I'm also getting into wingsuit hybrid jumps now (for lack of a better term), where a non-wingsuit jumper flies docked with the wingsuit jumper in a non-rodeo configuration and I am aware of the totem-pole configuration, have heard mention of a backfly-chest strap / MLW grip passenger underneath setup and I have one successful hybrid that is neither of those two.... :P

Hehe, well, I guess you've seen the pics of a friend and I doing a funny sort of atmonauti thing while docked to my rig (is that the totem thing you refer to?). That was hilarious. It certainly works although is a little awkward to fly.

Couple days ago I tried the thing where someone is holding on to my rig (see attachment - dunno who's in the pic, dunno where I got it, can't attribute it - sorry cameraman!), although that didn't go well at all! :S:S We were flipping all over the place and I didn't think I'd be able to get it stable, so I waved my hands and he let go. Guess that needs some work. Heheh. So who knows what happens when you fly a formation like this for a while (given that its stable)? Do you get a "hanger" like in freefly-rw hybrids? Or is the person more flat on their back? What does the non-birdman guy have to do to aid the formation? Arch perhaps?

On a similar note, what is the deal on linked birdman exits (in various positions)? Anybody have anything fun/useful come from that?

I too have tried backflips and found them difficult. Back flips and barrel rolls are easy. Perhaps it should be possible to fly on your side as well... Keep on arm collapsed or something. ;) Haven't tried it.

Good luck; keep us posted on your acrobatic progress. :)
Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

If you haven't tried a flat spin yet they're a lot of fun & can get the pooper tube goin' a bit.

Hold it till it REALLY winds up and then dive out of it.
Don't hold it until you see red as that's your eyes starting to bleed.B|

You've got to trust that your dive (delta?) will pull you out of this as it takes a while for the spin to stop.
The recovery is like a wild spiral. If you don't give yourself a little fright ya haven't done it properly.

WARNING: NOT FOR NOVICES

Find the limit then back off otherwise you don't know where the limit is .:ph34r: