notsane

Goodbye, hackey

After seeing Jen's malfunction during Z-Flock and Dock I swapped my hackey for a PVC handle. Paragon rigging did the work, tacking it through the middle as well as both ends. I cut a piece of foam from a pool noodle to stuff in it so my finger won't get stuck in the hole.

Back to the '80's, huh?

Scott

Pullout + wingsuit = not reccommended.

Quite right, but for what reason? Do you know? To my knowledge JP has never jumped anything but a pullout with a standard length bridle on any of his wingsuit jumps. Would I do it? No, but only because I don't regularly jump a pull-out. I am not going to tell a guy who has been jumping pullouts for 4000 jumps that he can't jump it on his first flight if he is insistent on jumping his own gear. I will recommend differently at least for the first flight where the possibility of the drag of a pullout causing a yaw in flight at pull time.

Likewise, I am not about to go cutting my hackey off for fear of PC delay. It's not killed me in 700 flights, so I am simply not sweating it. A good, strong throw does wonders to alleviate what some of you are perceiving as a problem systemic with hackeys. Perhaps I will have a free-floating PC constructed for my next rig, but right now I am satisfied with what I currently jump: an extended bridle with a ZP PC and a lightweight hackey.

Chuck

I am not going to tell a guy who has been jumping pullouts for 4000 jumps that he can't jump it on his first flight if he is insistent on jumping his own gear. I will recommend differently
Chuck

This is exactly what I did to a mutual friend who was tired of switching back and forth containers for wingsuit flights. I only provided information and have no bias on pull-outs as I have no experience with them personally. He had thousands of pull-out jumps and I mentioned JP's success with them in wingsuits noting his mileage may be different. My exact words.

First pull-out wingsuit jump had him reaching into his container tray to physically place his PC into the airstream after it failed to deploy on its own. Within seconds of landing he proceded to the loft to modify his container to a convertable system. I was happy he was using my better fitting classic than swimming in my large loose fitting S-3.

Well now I have a little more historic information to pass on when someone wants to use their pull-out on a wingsuit jump.

Now THAT is the kind of story everyone needed to hear. Every wingsuit instructor would do well to remember that story and pass it on to potential pull-out equipped first flight students. Still, I am not going to ding JP for his setup if that is what makes him happy. Food for thought I guess.

Chuck

I am not going to ding JP for his setup if that is what makes him happy. Food for thought I guess.

Chuck

I'm not dinging JP on this either after all it works for him. And my buddy had a multitude more jumps with the pull- out and wasn't new to wingsuits either. He could not see why it wouldn't work for him.

I have zero pull-out jumps and nothing but second hand info of why and why not they should be used. So I dispensed my second hand information.

But I'll tell you what........ my friend had a tone in his voice that stated he wished I'd been a little more assertive with the " common sentiment" that pull-outs are just not recommended...... period!

Thanks to him now I shall be.

Quite right, but for what reason? Do you know? To my knowledge JP has never jumped anything but a pullout with a standard length bridle on any of his wingsuit jumps. ***

I also don't have personal experience with pullouts and I have a friend who jumps a pullout with his wingsuit. As for me I not only understand the rationale behind the "not reccommended" caution but think its reasonable advice. I also understand using a pullout anyway if thats what you're used to. I think all birdmen are conscious of the big burble and the need to get the pc out of it. Mostly our great forward speed does the trick (imho). I won't be giving up my hackey anytime soon either but if I was BASE jumping I'd feel differently. Know any BASE guys using pullouts?
Sometimes you eat the bear..............