GeordieSkydiver

Wingsuit at pull time.

Can someone talk me through their own procedure and body position during pull time.

I'm no where near having the jump numbers to fly a WS, but I'm kinda interested.

A link to a video would be even better...

Thanks in advance.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Here is the answer to your question from one of my previous posts on this topic.

Of all the things involved with flying a suit, deployment is the most crucial as it can either make the whole flight a fun experience or something like what you experienced.
Here is the down and dirty on deployment. You do the following and you won't have any issues.

Your flying along and 5K comes up, you click your feet together 3 times (wave off). On the 3rd time you keep your feet together ensuring that your knee bones and ankles are touching( I am as serious as dick cancer about this). You arch at the hip, look up(this is important if you want to avoid going head low) and collapse both wings simulataneously as you reach for your hacky. Give yourself a second or two in this position to loose horizontal speed and gain vertical before you throw your pilot chute out.

The key is violence of action during your pitch. That doesn't mean fast and sloppy it means forcefully throw your pilot chute out into the air like a man. Ensure that you open both arms simultaneously when you pitch(keep your legs closed the entire time. You never open your legs back up) and do not dip a shoulder or look over a shoulder. As soon as you have released the pilot chute immediately collapse both arm wings. When you do this your hands should come down in front of you in the vicinity of your emergency handles and you should be looking at them. You will be just about sitting up right in the saddle by the time you get to this stage.

You are looking at your handles in case you need to use them later in the sequence. At this point remaining still during the deployment sequence is vital as you can cause twists by shifting in the harness or looking around,reaching etc. As soon as you feel your canopy fully inflate look straight up to see that it is open and square. If it is you immediately look back down at your hands which are stratigically placed right in front of you and by one another and you immediately unzip and go into post opening procedures.

If in the event you look up and your canopy has twists but it is square and stable(not diving or spinning up) you immediately unzip and deal with the line twists. Line twists with a canopy that is square and flying is not a reason to cut away.

However, if you look up and your canopy is violently diving or spinning up uncontrolably or you have an obvious malfunction, you immediately look back at your hands and go into your emegency procedures. Once your reserve is open you again go into post opening procedures.

I strongly suggest you practice this several times on the ground going over a normal deployment, line twists and emergency procedures and actually unzip and do post opening procedures like you would in the air. If you dick it up on the ground I guarantee you will dick it up in the sky. Ensure you arch at the the hips and look up while reaching back for the hacky. If you start to wobble of have stability issues arch harder and regain your stability.
REMEMBER, ALWAYS PULL STABLE.

People have tendencies to dip shoulders, bend at the torso sideways or other wise move to cause instability that leads to opening issues. There is no rush. Do at least 2 practice pulls once you are flying off of the line of flight while you have plenty of altitude. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. If you rush your wave off and practice pulls up high you will probably do the same thing when it comes time to pull for real. Staying still while in flight and during pull is key to having a good flight. Ever see a bird kicking it's legs or moving around spastically while it was gliding along in flight? There is a reason for that. Be like a bird
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've noticed in several BASE videos that deployment is from full flight, rather than after collapsing all wings. The theory is, I suppose, that if you are properly flying, then the airflow is smooth over the top of all your wings, and so there's no burble for the pilot chute to catch in. This would mean a much more reliable deployment?

I've been tempted to give this a go, but have always bottled it. What are the pros and cons of this method? Is there a reason it is not suitable for skydiving? In case the answer is purely opening characteristics, I jump a Spectre by the way.

Thanks for your help,

Paul.

this method is also suitable on aircraft jumps.

I think the main reason why they use this method in BASE jumping is that they use less altitude for deployment. No loss of altitude before deployment. Horizontal deployment (at least 1st part of opening)..

In an aircraft jump you generally don't deploy your main between 300 and let's say 600 ft which I guess are altitudes quite commonly used in BASE jumping and where you can not lose altitude on deployment.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I tried that a couple times in a Classic (not slowing down much, going ~50 mph vertical), with my Spectre. It works, but OUCH, and for some reason I ended up with linetwists a couple times (maybe because I tensed up in anticipation of the swing forward when my canopy went from behind to over in a millisecond)... Got me a couple bruises on my shoulders too from slamming into my harness. The need to do it again went away fairly quickly ;)

Don't feel the need trying it in my S3 though :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've noticed in several BASE videos that deployment is from full flight, rather than after collapsing all wings. The theory is, I suppose, that if you are properly flying, then the airflow is smooth over the top of all your wings, and so there's no burble for the pilot chute to catch in. This would mean a much more reliable deployment?

I've been tempted to give this a go, but have always bottled it. What are the pros and cons of this method? Is there a reason it is not suitable for skydiving? In case the answer is purely opening characteristics, I jump a Spectre by the way.

Thanks for your help,

Paul.

no reason not to do that from a plane, except that you do not need to, as you should have plenty of altitude, so why bother?

in my limited experience (57 wingsuit jumps), pulling in full flight in my S3 has a couple of drawbacks:
-you will swing forward rather impressively and be looking at the sky on deployment, followed by that swing back...
-you are way more susceptible to linetwists from any assymetry before during and after pull....
-the openings might feel harder

I generally pull in full flight now, as I do not find the openings particularly hard (personal opinion varies), and I have done this with my ZP155, a Spectre135 and my BlackJack260 (large mesh slider and on a skydive), I like the fact that I get a flying canopy in 200-250 feet this way and I like consistency, so I pull this way on skydives because one day in the future I might BASE my wingsuit and I'd like to be familiar with this kind of deployment.

If you're not planning to BASE jump a wingsuit one day, I don't think it's worth it to be pulling in full flight.

my 2 cents.

soon to be gone

Keep things in perspective and it will all make sense. for BASE flights a full flight deployment is preferable for a couple of reasons. the main one being not loosing any more altidude than necessary and the fact that they are jumping large,BASE specific canopies.

You can do this on skydives and many experienced pilots do this but the draw back is that you can have hard openings and you can also pendulum to the point that you almost go back through your lines(Jari has an interesting video of a guy's protrack continuing in a straight line as he damn near goes back into his lines). Combine this with a small or twitchy canopy and it can get interesting very quickly.

My description above is what first time and new pilots need to master before moving on to more advanced techniques.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

on skydives [snip] you can also pendulum to the point that you almost go back through your lines

Yeh, that's no fun. But since I aspire to do WS BASE one day, I wonder... does this same thing happen in a BASE deployment (full flight)? It would seem to be even worse since the deployment is fast, but the videos I've seen don't look *too* bad, at least not any worse than the skydiving "pendulums" I've seen and experienced...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com