Jiggs

Matter Thread

Hi all,

I bought a MTR2 a few months back and have done 50-70 jumps on this set of wings - one thing that has come up a few times is the stitching on the suit - particularly around the booster area. In a few places the stitching has come undone/broken - it is a pain in the arse to keep on getting this fixed. Speaking to the rigger he was of the opinion the the thread used was a heavy duty household type of thread as opposed to something normally used in skydiving (the term type E thread vaguely rings a bell).

Now to tie off the obvious questions -
Yes I do take care of my gear, all of my gear and other suits (eg rel/freefly/camera/etc) are all in good condition. I always tuck the boosters up on landing and the suit has never been subject to any bad landings. I was previously jumping a Classic2 with an absolute ton of jumps - never had any problems with it.

The contributors to this problem (I think) are the amount of tension that is required to fully inflate the leg wing and the fact that the stitching is black on an all black suit.

Are others having the same problems? Is anyone else having this experience? Any ideas?
I am probably going to get a S3 shortly - so don't suggest it! ;) (I am hoping to keep the MTR2 as well)

Cheers,
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

I tore the instep area where the leg wing and the boosters come together. This area isn't under tension when flying the suit so I haven't repaired it yet.
One side tore on the second jump on the suit. Some people were examining it and laced up the booster heel strap, which I don't use and have since hot knifed off, I didn't notice it and when I went to put the bootie on in the aircraft it ripped. I ripped the second one trying to slip them on in a cramped helicopter without having enough slack in the leg material. Funny part was my partner was smart enough to put his boosters on before boarding the helo.
I'm not sure if this is the same area you are referring to having to repeatedly repair on your M2.

Well here we go, here are (some of) the places that I have had to have work done:
The area at the bottom of the leg wing joining the 2 pieces (eg the intersect of the front and the back)- stitching came apart about an inch
Leg wing to booster - the point at which the leg wing joins the top of the booster.
Booster (2) - first time the booster started seperating at the top of the toes (between the join of the 2 materials). Second time was further along the booster on the same side.
Leg wing zipper - velcro tab and button - stitching came apart was holding by a few threads.
Velcro that ensures that cutaway handle does not go into the suit - this fell off after a jump! Found it inside the suit when taking the gear off. Think that when I am under canopy - that there is some tension / load against this point (don't wish to guess otherwise)
Back zipper (left) - stitching has come apart sligtly meaning the zipper can move about an inch sideways - not sure of why this has happened. Have noticed that the zipper (while still attached) will sometimes open most of the way - this has happened twice. Wonder if this is due to backflying. Will see how it goes now that is is repaired.

There was a few other minor things but this is the pattern that I am seeing - I have not had any instance where I can think of a direct cause of any damage - eg it getting rubbed against something or anything like that. Any ideas on what to do?

(Edit to add - have never used the booster strap - its pointless)
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

It is a velcro strap that goes from the outside of the bootie then across the heel through a plastic buckle and back onto itself with velcro. It is designed to help tension the leg wing. although its not really needed for tensioning. It doesn't fit everybody ankle so some people just tuck in up inside the suit unbuckled. I knifed mine off so some else will have to post the pics if you still want them.