leoholanda

Wingsuit Diamond formation

It's not a question of difficulty but a question of why is it even needed when we can fly mere inches from one another in 3 dimensions as it is. With grips we limit ourselves and our formations to one plane.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

wrong idea.what we have had is 2 wings,slightly over lapped about 3 inches vertical,quater wings over lapping.somthing in the air flow held us together and flew as if held in same air flow.was tight and air just held it there.the question is,can we fly that tigh and use air flow hold it togeter?
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

I mean, It would be a plus to have grips in case of concrete criteria for archiving world records. For example, if the formation is no contact it would be a little subject to the judge interpretation of distances from each one in the formation. If there are grips, there is no doubt because it`s absolute.

It's not a question of difficulty but a question of why is it even needed when we can fly mere inches from one another in 3 dimensions as it is. With grips we limit ourselves and our formations to one plane.

Leo Holanda

It would be a plus to have grips in case of concrete criteria for archiving world records.

This is one of the things we have been working on in order to gain FAI recognition as a discipline and then a record. There will obviously need to be a re-look at the criteria and reestablishing of the requirements to be Birdman specific. There is no doubt in my mind that with the right people we can fly a tight,no grips formation of any size and /or configuration. It is not a matter of "IF" but "when" this is accomplished. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

With wingsuit flight, couldn't you fly formations close up on several planes of flight? Granted you would need good fliers that were conscious of the burble.

The other thing - wouldn't the suit matter when it comes to grippers? From my understanding your leg stance is more important on the Matter suits, therefore a leg grip there could be a bit more troublesome?

couldn't you fly formations close up on several planes of flight?

Most definitely. Thats what makes it so much more fun than being limited to 1 plane.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Leonardo, Sorry for the late response. I've been in Toronto for a few days. I'm no expert on this but like everyone else I'm trying to put a little imagination into this. Honestly I think that suit compatibility would help but may not be necessary in the smaller formations. I do believe that the S3 flyers should not use the wing tip grippers. The S3 is so stable without them when it comes to flying tight and when contact is involved. If your jump mates are jumping the Bird-man products other than the S3 they aren't using them either.

I think your 4-way diamond will be a snap with the qualified people. Pick your most versatile flyer to float up from below and behind to close up the tail.

Maybe consider sewing a grip that resembles a cutaway pillow near the heel of the booty.

Heres an 8-way for you. Imagine a 9-way diamond but take away the row 3 middle man. Everyone makes one grip except for the tail man. Your eyes must be 90% on the person that you're holding on to and 10% peripheral.

Nice, BJ. I'd like to try and build some formations at the NW wingsuit boogie. I think a little planning and slot assignment is all we really need. Maybe start with 3-way deltas, the 4-way diamonds. Have "teams" of 3 or 4 work on just those two things, and find out where each person's strength is in the formation. Then start putting the teams together for bigger deltas and diamonds.

We could at least give it a shot. Even if we don't complete a 9-way diamond, I feel we'll at make great strides towards doing so.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click