larsrulz

Convention Flying

So when did the requirement change from 500 jumps to 200 jumps? I would have had 200 by the end of the first weekend had I known you were letting 200 jump wingsuiters. >:( And I'm sure the demos at SDC will be gone before I can get a chance to go up there. B|

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

It is in the SIM. It has nothing to do with the convention. I made close to 100 jumps in May so I could jump a wingsuit.

And it is 200 current jumps, i.e within the last 18 months. Don't be so pessimistic, there will be a demo within reach.

Kris.

It is in the SIM. It has nothing to do with the convention. I made close to 100 jumps in May so I could jump a wingsuit.

And it is 200 current jumps, i.e within the last 18 months. Don't be so pessimistic, there will be a demo within reach.

Which is why I was talking about the convention, where the vendors said they would require 500 jumps, but multiple 200 jump wonders got FJC. :( And I have 180 in about 4.5 months, so 200 in 6 shouldn't be a problem.

AFAIK the requirement at the convention was to get approved by one of the Wingsuit vendors. The established requirements of the vendors was 500 jumps.

Then why are there a number of people who got FJCs with 200? B| Here I was sitting around the LO tent not jumping when I coulda been flying!

I'm just curious if (sounds like you didn't JP) Chuck dropped his requirement or if he was just doing this for friends. If the requirement was dropped, then I'm super bummed, because the closest BMI is up at SDC, which it will be at least a month or two before I can make it up there, and the convention next year will probably be the next boogie I go to.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

You don't have to have a BMI to do your first
wingsuit flight. All you have to do is buy a wingsuit,
and read the flight manual. It tells you everything you need to know to safely do a flight. Its not that hard. Don't be fooled by those that say you must have personal instruction (BMI) to safely fly, they are just trying to suck some money, and get free jumps.
Chris

Don't be fooled by those that say you must have personal instruction (BMI) to safely fly, they are just trying to suck some money, and get free jumps.

While I totaly agree with you that you don't actualy need any profesional instruction in a legal respect, the people offering instruction are not just trying to make a buck.
I've been instructing wingsuit flight since late 2000 and I assure you I've made little money. I have had a few free jumps thrown in there for sure, but I've had many more come from new jumpers that have generously paid my slot to do a coach jump, or turn som points.

There are quite a few skydivers that want someone to go over the process with them for their well being. I find most experienced (1000 or more) jumpers apreciate having someone "instruct them". There are plenty of people out there that probably should never jump a wingsuit.

So Mr. Expert, how many wingsuit jumps do you have? What makes you think that you are making a responsible statement by discounting the manufacturers advice? Oh, you must be one of those "special jumpers".

Your bus is over there.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Riiight..... :S

Even if you want to try your hand at wingsuiting all by yourself, you need at least 500 jumps, according to BirdMan. Sure, by then, you can probably do without a BMI, at least safety-wise if not performance-wise, but if you have access to one why would you? Also you could maybe rent a couple suits, see if you want a BM Classic, GTi, or other brand suit, may save you some money.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

and read the flight manual. It tells you everything you need to know to safely do a flight. Its not that hard. Don't be fooled by those that say you must have personal instruction (BMI) to safely fly, they are just trying to suck some money, and get free jumps.
Chris

I went on my first jump with a BMI. I paid for my jumpticket. The DZ pays for his slot whenever he takes a student on his/her first flight.

Kris.

Chris

I went on my first jump with a BMI. I paid for my jumpticket. The DZ pays for his slot whenever he takes a student on his/her first flight.

Kris.

Ditto. I found the BMI extremely helpful (even though I hardly saw him during the jump). Just talking about and practicing the exit and deployment was something you can't get from a manual.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Don't be fooled by those that say you must have personal instruction (BMI) to safely fly

The suits are designed to be flown safely by just about anyone without hands-on instruction. However, there's a MAJOR difference between surviving a flight, and learning to fly the right way. You can learn to sitfly on your own, but it will take a long time, you'll have bad habits, and you won't fly well with others. Those who learn to fly a wingsuit with a instructor certified by the suit's manufacturer will have a tremendous advantage over those who don't. I didn't have one, and I see people doing in five jumps what took me maybe 50 jumps to figure out. The reason is that they have proper training, so there's no guesswork.

And I don't get ChrisG's obsession with BMIs being money-grubbers. BMIs pay to learn how to instruct others properly, and subsequent instruction will general cover the expenses of the course and travel, but that's it. We do it because we love to fly wingsuits and we love to teach others how to fly. We become BMIs because of the access it gives us to resources from BirdMan, such as instructional knowledge and experience, as well as demo suits. It's a great thing when your 200 jump student is breaking two minutes with proper body position and docking on their second or third flight. The likelihood of this happening with no instruction is very rare.

If a BMI isn't around, the next best thing is to find an experienced wingsuit pilot. Regardless of how many jumps you have, any knowledge you can pick up in person will greatly benefit you. One of the worst things you can do in any aspect of, well, anything, is outright refuse training. In skydiving, we always see these two words together: safety and training. There's a reason for that.

It seems like every post ChrisG writes is a shit-starting rant about any form of progress in the last 20 years. Some people think that getting formal instruction isn't "hardcore" enough. I only find this to be true when you're on the cutting edge, doing something that no one can teach you. But when there is well-established, proven training available, refusing it isn't brave or hardcore, it's just stupid.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Don't be fooled by those that say you must have personal instruction (BMI) to safely fly, they are just trying to suck some money, and get free jumps.

Wow, what a horrible attitude. Most BMI's I know personally are more than happy to waive the instructional fee AND pay their own slot for an aspiring young wingsuiter. It wasn't common to see at the convention because vendors at the convention had to make their money back for the steep cost of the tent rental, fuel to drive the thousand miles to the convention, and money to eat during the 12 days of the convention.

Most instructors worth a shit in this sport occasionally do that tandem for a favor or the AFF jump for next to nothing. I can guarantee you that most people that rely on professional skydiving to pay their bills are not eating out at the Outback every Friday either.

While some folks pick up wingsuit flying right off the bat, there are others that GREATLY benefit from the ground and in-flight instruction received by trained and qualified BMI's. While they can't help you when you get into a flat spin on your back, they can provide a reference for flying in the right direction and give hand signals in the air to aid in your progression.

With so many jumps and time you have in the sport, I'd think you'd recognize the need for instruction at all levels.

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Kris.

I love this DZ very progressive!

I can understand Chris G's frustration with the attitude that there must be a BMI on the first jump. There are five brands of wingsuits, only one the biggest, has a built in instructor cadre available. The others are more self instruct styly. And I don't think that is going to change, bet on it.

Although the lovely Kim Griffin handled our big group's ground school for our first jump course a few years back, we could not fly that weekend due to low weather, very rare at our DZ. Most of the jumpers felt comfortable just winging it on their own ( pun intended ) later that week weather permitting. All had great results. I, on the other hand, played it by the book paid the BMI ( first generation ) flight fee+ slot.

Exit the van the BMI flails into a gruesome ball of shit right next to me and is never to be seen again on that jump and oh yes indeed I looked hard as I didn't want to have a collision with another wingsuit. I did remember my practice touches, my bird-man wave off and had a nice deployment. Forty bucks wasted that could have been used for extra flights that day. My buddies laughed at me for that one. Flights months later with the same individual had exactly the same results.

When Chuck and Jari enacted the new certified BMI program I'm sure they were trying to keep hyjinx like my experience and a few other similar suspect situations from happening during other first flights. Also keeping out the "masters of self promotion" and those without the requisite flight skills and capability to instruct. For the most part it has been a success story. But the local flavor here has not changed its much preferred to go with a mentor than a BMI. As I don't want to steal anybody's lunch money I refer people to the local BMIs and have done so publicly and also on this forum. Yet it seems that first time jumpers always find it back to our flock for their first jump course, even after this referral. I would have to say we've conducted exponentially more FJCs than the local BMIs combined and have the video to prove it. We provide a suit, sometimes video, debrief a little and then do it again all day for nothing. Two or three ways at first then on to bigger badder flocks with docks as more of our group shows up. On occasion loaning the suit for a few days or a couple of weeks, even loaning it to the BMI to conduct a FJC. The only time there is a charge is if one of us has to make special trip to the DZ and that is usually just slot.

Many of the people I'm talking about lurk this forum. We've even had comments from experienced jumpers that come to play on their way through, who typically fly solo at their home DZs. They have a lot more fun, learn more in a handful of jumps flocking than on their own at home and can't wait to flock or hook up with other wingsuiters soon.

If you want someone who makes a living skydiving to travel to your neck of the woods to instruct then compensation for their expenses isn't out of the question as none of the suit manufacturers can afford to cover this. Its not like calling up XXX canopy company for a demo to be shipped to you. If you can travel to where there is a better size group of flockers you probably won't be disappointed and they may give you a brake on instruction fees. Do a little research and I'm sure you can find a good mentor with a spare suit around. There may be leg work involved. Call some dropzones get some names or emails find out who may be in your area. I know for a fact that some of the BMIs on the list don't charge a dime, they didn't back when they performed the mentor role and still don't now that they made the list.

This is just my personal ( and maybe unpopular ) opinion but I don't believe its that critical whether or not your first flight is a solo or not but its always nice to have somebody there for feedback or to corral you back if navigation is an issue. Even though navigation can be an issue for experienced guys too focussed on the grip and don't watch the spot. Is there an excuse for landing out when flying a wingsuit?

Flocking is where its at, its how you learn. With real feed back or video and challenges other than just staying stable and flying for time. Slot flying and getting use to flying in larger groups.

Regardless what you do for your first jump in a wingsuit don't carry on your lonesome self. Don't just fly in a vacuum its not uplifting, get out and "meet the flockers"!

Awesome! Is that at Skydive Chicago?

Flocking is where its at, its how you learn.

Well, it's how you learn a very important skillset. This is sort of like saying CReW is where it's at. Flying relative to other canopies teaches you a lot, but doesn't necessarily improve your swoop, if that's what you're after.

Someone with 300 wingsuit jumps where only 10% are solos dedicated to maxing out on performance will most likely be lacking in glide ratio and hang time compared to someone who's mixed it up a bit more. And that's also a big if... IF you want to do some performance flying.

So, I wouldn't say "flocking is where its at." I'd say, "Flocking is where half of it is at."

As I don't want to steal anybody's lunch money I refer people to the local BMIs and have done so publicly and also on this forum. Yet it seems that first time jumpers always find it back to our flock for their first jump course, even after this referral.

Of course -- free instruction versus not-free instruction. What do you expect? Much like getting into BASE -- why go pay for the BR course when you have experienced jumpers nearby that are willing to help you go in, er... take you in?

When Chuck and Jari enacted the new certified BMI program I'm sure they were trying to keep hyjinx like my experience and a few other similar suspect situations from happening during other first flights.

And I believe they've accomplished that. I seriously doubt that anyone who took the same course I did would ever have the same problems as Glen's BMI. They would have failed. And people do fail the course despite the belief of some.

The advantage to BMIs that were certified through the new course is that there is a level of consistency and thoroughness that you are more or less guaranteed. I did a decent job of instruction before taking the BMI course. Since then, I'd have to say that I'm practicing a first-rate instruction method as compared to what I was doing before. You may get first rate instruction from a non-BMI, but there's no real way of knowing.

And lastly, please note the number of times that BMIs on here have said time and time again -- we don't charge if we don't have an expense, and the cost for the FFC can vary. Expect to pay more if you're at a boogie or if the BMI has to travel. You'll more than likely pay very little if you travel to a DZ with a BMI.

Click

Awesome! Is that at Skydive Chicago?

Yes - both Kris and I had this experience.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Someone with 300 wingsuit jumps where only 10% are solos dedicated to maxing out on performance will most likely be lacking in glide ratio and hang time, IF you want to do some performance flying.

So, I wouldn't say "flocking is where its at." I'd say, "Flocking is where half of it is at."

I personally know someone that has one of the first S3s available has many hundreds ( 600 estimate )of flights on it but mostly does solos. No correct that almost exclusively has solo experience. He doesn't trust others flying skills and just likes playing with his protrac and GPS thingy. 6'2" and lanky. Somehow I gain his trust enough to join me for a two way. Without trying I smoke him miserably. I'm in my matter 2 which at the time was new to me and I was still figuring it out. I over estimated his number of jumps and physical stature and put too much into it at first, then I corrected and slowed down. After that he made a few mistakes that put those that lag even farther away.

Well now his curiosity had peeked and he had to come on some flocks with us. Now I'm not talking about flocking for new guys on borrowed classics. Everybody had at least a hundred wingsuit jumps. What I'm talking about here is some hard drivin hard core flying in numbers. We all had the experience over many, many jumps of trying to catch that fast flying rabbit, the kind of guy that gets three minutes if you know what I mean? This is what we used to benchmark performance. This guy had a good suit and the build but no experience fighting to catch something right there in front of him, something tangible a REAL target that was flying to out fly him and leave him in the dust ( think of it as a more forgiving type of talus). This guy had a bunch of experience looking at his overall time and distance traveled AFTER the dive. While on the ground where he could not modify his body position for immediate feedback relative to the target. He had to rely on information that could be off, way off if devices are not calibrated properly and satellite signals attained.

So I'll have to stick to my guns and maintain that flocking is where its at. What do you want to get out of it is what yet set the flock up to do in the dirt dive and who is on the flock. Solos are great for trying something new like a suit or a "hold my beer" maneuver where you don't want anybody to crash into or worse get video of something really ugly that could be used against you at a film festival.

Now if your only option is to fly with someone at your DZ that comes out of the sky like a stuka dive bomber. Then yes cut them loose and fly free once in a while, but I still recommend you get to good flocks.

***As I don't want to steal anybody's lunch money I refer people to the local BMIs and have done so publicly and also on this forum. Yet it seems that first time jumpers always find it back to our flock for their first jump course, even after this referral.

Of course -- free instruction versus not-free instruction. What do you expect? Much like getting into BASE -- why go pay for the BR course when you have experienced jumpers nearby that are willing to help you go in, er... take you in?

No its not just about money. The flockers are there pretty regularly, sometimes organized ahead of time en mass. On the days we are there its for the duration. Back to back multi ways with everybody coming down having fun is pretty intoxicating. This draws people in.
The BMIs aren't always around or sometimes have to commit to more lucrative income skydiving, tandems, video etc. Some have to turn down offers to come to boogies, hey but If we are there its all good.

You may get first rate instruction from a non-BMI, but there's no real way of knowing.

I've got a great deal of faith in some very capable mentor types out there. Don't discount them.
Remember that the purpose of a BMI is to get you through your first wingsuit flight in a bird-man suit safely. To help get you a first taste. How good you become after that is up to you.

Well, I didn't say "solos are where it's at", either. I'd say, "solos are where the other half is at."

Remember that the purpose of a BMI is to get you through your first wingsuit flight in a bird-man suit safely. To help get you a first taste.

Not really, anymore. The role of the BMI, at least in the "modern" course, goes beyond just one safe flight. We (are supposed to) teach students how to fly properly. Fun is definitely a priority, and the better you fly, the more fun you have. And many BMIs, myself included, were evaluated on more advanced coaching -- flying relative/3D, minor body position corrections, etc. This may have only applied to BMIs that were above a certain number of flights (I had over 300 at the time), but I can think of a good number of BMIs that learned and were evaluated on more advanced coaching.

I've got a great deal of faith in some very capable mentor types out there. Don't discount them.

I'm not. You know some very capable mentors. Someone in a remote area or at a boogie that encounters a stranger has to go by heresay if the potential instructor is not certified. That person may be a very skilled instructor or they might suck ass. If they are a BMI (especially one that has gone through the modern program), then they most likely don't suck ass.

The whole idea is validation and trust. The BMI program validates instructors. However, the BMI program is not the only way to go about it. Being the only BMI around, I get a lot of calls from people in Idaho, Washington, and Oregon, and have been travelling quite a bit to do FFCs. By travelling and having people travel to SDO, I've now flown with a lot of people in the Northwest US that I've found to be very skilled wingsuit pilots and skydivers in general. I now have a mental list of people that I'd recommend in a heartbeat, none of whom are BMIs.

I think that people contact me, not their local wingsuit pilots, because I have proof that I can teach them. Having met qualified wingsuit pilots who generally hold other instructional ratings, I can now send people back to their local wingsuit pilots. I think it's just a matter of validation -- "a BMI thinks this guy is OK, that's the reference I needed."

Here's a little perspective on why this is important. When I had about 180 wingsuit flights, I was inquired about giving a FFC (before I was a BMI). He asked about my qualifications, and whether or not he should wait until he meets a BMI.

"I've got 180 wingsuit flights and have taken people up before," I said.
To which he replied, "Well, I've got 300 freefly jumps and wouldn't even think of teaching anyone how to freefly."

Click