Tonto

Back fly exits

Some input required, since we have no BMI in the country...

When I back fly an exit, I really need to sit it. Any attempt to fly flatter seems to result in a dive off the top of a loop, if I let that happen.

Is back flight out the door as inefficient as it feels?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Ahh. I think my arms have probably been too relaxed, resulting in the loss of support on the front half of my body with my garenteed straight legs...

We have a Caravan as well this weekend, so I'll try it out of that - with a bit more airspeed than the Porter.

Thanks for the input!

t

Is back flight out the door as inefficient as it feels?

Not really, you just need to get used to the feel. The best way I can describe it is think of it as a RW front float.The key is you need a strong exit and must launch yourself squarely into the airstream. Your back needs to catch as much air as possible so a vertical position is what you want to go for. Holding the floater bar inside the A/C with my left hand and the rest of my body outside the A/C and upright, I literally jump sideways into the airstream. I immediately open all my wings and begin my arch from the hips and grab my left wingtip. I usually watch who ever is with me as I launch to keep things in perspective. The key is to start pressing your wings against the air flow as soon as possible so that your actually flying the exit,transitioning the hill and right into flight. Body position is critical to efficient flight. You want to avoid positions like Sketch 1. The inefficiency in this body position is apparent but with wings it is even more so. A lot of times if your not careful this is the position you will find yourself in when trying to film from your back as you try to keep the subject in frame. The ideal position is seen in sketch 3. The only caveat to that is with wings you will need to actually push down harder and might actualy have your arms somewhat below your body to properly tension the wings, the same holds true for the tail wing which has even more pressure applied to it. A slight arch from the hips upward while pushing down and tightening the muscles in your legs, butt and back will actually allow you to generate lift. SM1 and I have launched this exit and he was able to stay in full flight while I was on my back. If you get to the ground and your hamstrings and back aren't cramping your not giving it 100%. You should and will feel this after a flight if your kill'n it. Hope that helps;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It's clear I've been doing it completly wrong! :oToo head down into the relative wind on exit, and not nearly enough power in the arms pushing down and the back flattening the body position out. I think I'll work on more back flight first, and then see if I can take what I've learned to the exit.

Thanks for the help!

t

You might as well start with the exit first since you are at full altitude and have more time to work things out if you do have any issues. You can loose a lot of altitude quickly if your back flying doesn't go as planned. Have fun with it as you can get into some interesting positions sometimes;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING