petetheladd

Da weekends flying - back flying and cloud surfing

I had a great weekends flying with Scary P.

Flying on da Back is Hard. Watching Scary P. zoom around on his back ( even at plane launch ) had me attempting it.

Man, what a disaster, I believe I was close to head down more than on my back and my arm zippers came partially undone on both sides.
I shot video of Scary P. on his back to study and got a boatload of advice from him but I have a mountain to climb.

However, if anyone has tips on backflying on a new GTI, I am all ears

Speaking of mountains, I also managed to over fly a towering 5000ft cumulo nimbus, 180 degree tail turn over it and surf down the edge for a full 5000ft like a surfer catching a wave - One of the best dives I have ever had and my camera was along for the ride.

PtL

Some pictures from the Weekend

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1145296;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

No, Not without incident

Its acually easier for me to start the back fly right out the door. If I try and rotate later I might drop way below ( 50% of the time) the formation. All of this is much harder to nail If I have a camera on unless I start on my back.

The body position for some back flyers are different individual to individual. For me I must be flat or a little arched ( upside down de-arched to the horizon ). This position is hard to hold, and like you stated, can go headlow and zoom down ward if not carefull. personnally if I look down at my toes and curl my back up its over for me, I drop out. While others that back fly can zoom around the entire jump in a body position that resembles lying relaxed in a hamock.
IMHO its easier to do on an S-3 than a classic ( for me) as you can hold and pull the wing tips easier. Easier still for me to do on my matter which tends to fly more stable front or back.

All I can say is practice, practice, practice... oh and maybe abdominals. Practice the recovery position if you are droping out, just like on a free fly sit jump. Leg wings together upper wings out and back. Do this on solos, a perfect excuse to fly when alone. This will help you focus on your body position and not the flock later add someone to fly camera for you to analize your body possition and fall rate.

Don't forget heading control either don't want to zoom too far from the landing area

Hope this helps.

Best way I've found to learn is to get barrel rolling down.. then the next step is to do a half barrel roll but keep your wings closed (all wings closed) so you're on your back falling, then gradually open up all your wings symmetrically..

Not me. Like Glen, if I am going to do a lot of backflying on a dive I will simply exit on my back. Out of an Otter I simply hang out, back to the wind, in the front floater position. I give the count from there and lead the flock, just like a regular tracking dive. I roll over when I get tired of it.

Pete....A few days ago I too bagged myself a huge one, thing stood miles high, higher than max altitude. I flew up to it, turned around at about 9 grand and surfed down that cosmic slope till I came off the bottom of it at around 5 grand feeling like my mind exploded...watching that vapor mountain fall away behind me was simply stunning....here's the punchline: after flying home opening and landing I was standing around shooting the shit with people as sunset finished and watching my skymountain and its accompanying retinue of lesser puffies head off across the river when the damn thing started throwing lightning around. "!!!" Thought I, watching it go...
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

If its a big black anvil of a thundercloud, I'm staying away B|

I don't know, man. The visual I got yesterday was insane. Sunset off to my right, a rainbow off to my left, and a giant freaking black thunderhead right in front of me. Flew up to it, played with its features, and took off. A little bit of water, but not too bad in a wingsuit. Lightning really couldn't do anything, as you're not grounded in flight. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. :)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click