CanuckInUSA

Human Flight with a wingsuit

Check out my latest upload at SkydivingMovies.com

Wingsuit Jump from a Hot Air Balloon

Date: Sunday May 2nd, 2004
Place: Longmont, CO, USA
Jumper: Steve Armstrong

Comments:

This was my 666th jump. First ever balloon jump and only my 22 wingsuit jump. I exited the balloon at 5400 feet, got into a track and about 35 seconds later I was pulling my pilot chute at 2500 and sniveling only to 2100 feet (all this according to my ProTrack). I landed safely one field south of the DZ's main landing area. What a fun jump I tell you. When can I try it again?

Oh and ...

"The Devil made me do it." :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Well if no one else will reply I will. Cool video Steve. :) You're one step closer to our mutual dream of taking flight off of giant walls.

But I question the etiquette of saying 3-2-1-cya on a skydive. :P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

But I question the etiquette of saying 3-2-1-cya on a skydive.

Did I commit a BASE faux paux? Dang, they might not give me the secret password now. :P What can I say. I'm not dull, but I'm also not the sharpest crayon in the box. ;) I didn't know 3-2-1-CYA would be frowned upon on a balloon jump. :)

Now that I've made the jump, I pondering how it compares to some other stuff. No it is not a BASE jump, but is it really a skydive? Technically yes, but look beyond that. I jumped into the unknown yesterday. Fortunately I exercised decent enough judgement not to put myself into a bad spot. But we are jumping into the unknown at times with these wingsuit balloon jumps. I think this sort of jump does share some similarities to the BASE jump and it's a great experience for those with the appropriate wingsuit and canopy control experience.

My memories from the actually jump flying the suit, deploying at 2500 feet, flying my canopy and safely landing are radically different than the video Stacey shot. It's kind of surreal. :)

Yeh, I do understand that it's no normal skydive, especially with the suit. It looked to me like you were able to "push off" the balloon, which is nice. I still have no balloon jumps, having done my beer still air exit just a few months ago (without wingsuit obviously) from a helicopter. I did 3, and they were fun, but it sucked not being able to push off (although falling off does have its charms too).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

From what I have seen BASE birds wait about two sec before openings the wings. It seems you opened too soon and got head down before you were able to generate some lift.

I did talk to an experienced wingsuit BASE jumper about what sort of exit technique I should use before this jump (I've yet to review the video with him though). But this was my first ever jump of this sort of type and it's hard to practice something which we rarely get to practice to begin with. But yes you can see me loose several hundred vertical feet before the suit actually kicks in. :S